Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> British Virgin Islands

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
GeorgeC1
Traveler

Loc: GA/NC
Re: The Catamaran company ,charter nightmare [Re: casailor53]
      #1704690 - 08/07/16 09:30 AM (12.130.119.130)

I agree about the hot water in Aug. The other thing I don't get is on a cat there are as I mentioned before normally two systems. One should have worked. I also had a hard time with the meal thing. If I brought 30lbs of steak I would be asking why I was not eating it!
G

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
agrimsrud
Traveler

Loc: Apex, NC
Re: The Catamaran company ,charter nightmare [Re: Lakegirl480]
      #1704692 - 08/07/16 10:17 AM (108.232.10.252)

I don't mean to make light of the issue but Captain Ron? Too funny.
If you have not seen this movie load it up and have a nice laugh/cry and then plan your next adventure. Without Captain Ron.

--------------------
Life's short - sail more!

Lakegirl480
Traveler

#1704693 - 08/07/16 10:21 AM (68.54.206.209)

Kryssa, I personally went to the company office at the marina Saturday morning before we left out to ask for the water issue to be addressed. They sent someone out to our boat on the water Tuesday and said it was a bad element. No other boat was offered to us. This was the first of the collapse of our friendship as two of the guests were adamant about the water being fixed and others were not. It caused a big scene Saturday morning before we left out. Everyone has their luxuries. Had the air conditioning not been working , for instance,others would have created a bigger stir than those with the water issue. It's all in what your comfort level is.
We gave the chef the benefit of the doubt the first day and a half before we began asking for the meat that was packed. He just kept assuring us he was a professional chef and we were not to worry about it. By Thursday morning, having packed 5 pounds of bacon for 2 people and only having bacon one morning, things got heated with the chef.
We only had internet at Peter island twice the whole week, which was fine, it was a group decision to try to enjoy the remainder of the trip and address the issues once we returned.
George yes it was a brand new catamaran.
We paid 18,0000.00 for the week for the boat,Capt. And chef. I expect hot water if the boat is equipped. we didn't pay that much to take cold showers all week.
I suppose we could have fired the chef but we would have had to taken over cooking the meals and not all the ladies onboard had cooking skills so that would have left two women cooking all the meals for 8,plus crew,and that was not fair to ask of them. It was their vacation too.

rfrimmel
Traveler

Loc: Florida
      #1704695 - 08/07/16 10:36 AM (96.94.5.9)

WOW $18K for a week and only terrible memories.

BEERMAN
Traveler

Loc: VIRGINIA
      #1704696 - 08/07/16 10:37 AM (173.73.171.15)

Unfortunately it sounds like the "mood seed" was planted Saturday morning, especially the way you said another captain came over and commented. First impressions on both sides went south quick. HOWEVER, if I pay 18K for a charter I would expect hot water and a flexible chef. Hope the friendships heal.

GeorgeC1
Traveler

Loc: GA/NC
      #1704697 - 08/07/16 10:40 AM (12.130.119.130)

I guess I am confused by the term element. That normally implies the electric element in the system. Those are rarely if ever used in the BVI because of the amp draw. Running the engines even just a few minutes for docking normally provides plenty of hot water. When there was no hot water it's usually because the valves are turned off at the tanks. I have found that on several charter boats.
G

Lakegirl480
Traveler

Re: The Catamaran company ,charter nightmare [Re: BEERMAN]
      #1704698 - 08/07/16 10:42 AM (68.54.206.209)

I should add that Capt Ron and Hal are best friends and were inseparable the entire trip from each other's boats. Hence the reason he felt he could come onto our boat and chastise us.

Will_L
Traveler

Loc: Ill, USA
      #1704699 - 08/07/16 10:59 AM (67.45.113.216)

I don't really understand this. You can't really get cold water in the system in August, the temperature below deck in confined spaces is nearly always above body temperature..hence you start with warm water. A little running of engines or genset in our trawler made for very hot water.
These days we have a small power cat, there is no hot water tank aboard. The transom shower is never "cool" . In a zero to 10 scale on an impediment to enjoying a trip to the BVI having 100 degree plus water and having 130 degree water I could see steam rising from would rank a 0.1 . There is so much to do and see and enjoy, as long as there are comfortable showers to be taken I don't believe many would view this as a huge problem. Heads not working? No water.. Big problem..By the way unless there was a watermaker on board, the person worring about long hot showers with 8 on board is likely to be unpopular. You had probably 200 gallon capacity. Though many don't abide by it, boat showers should conserve water. Get wet, shut off water, lather, rinse. Wet hair shut off water, shampoo rinse. In that case there is little difference in hot water or warm water. I am in no way saying someone cannot insist on all the hot water they want and as hot as they want. It is just not a big deal for most.

I'm not sure I understand the food situation. Did you hire the chef separately or furnished by charter co.? Did you provision the boat or did the chef? Did you tell them before hand that you wanted each couples food prepared separately ? Please correct me if that is not the case. In the small galley it would be somewhat unreasonable to expect the chef to prepare separate meals for each couple. I often hear of a person or couple aboard requiring different diets..vegetarian, gluten free etc..but I've never heard of three couples bringing separate food for someone to prepare individually.
Indeed when we had the charter boat and today at the condo down there we and guests will bring some special items from home..provision together and use the supplies in common. Since I have never heard of three couples wanting their food kept separate, I'm guessing the chef who has to plan the meals found it strange as well.
I'm sorry you had such a bad time but honestly can't understand it. Perhaps it would have been good to have told the chef that he/she was going to prepare meals separately with items each couple brought. That could have been discussed and the chef declined the charter or done it at a much higher per diem. Just my thoughts after spending trips on the water.

Lakegirl480
Traveler

Re: The Catamaran company ,charter nightmare [Re: Will_L]
      #1704701 - 08/07/16 11:05 AM (68.54.206.209)

There was a water maker on board.
We hired the chef from the company and provisioned our own boat to our liking. We specified the separated meat but also requested to cook the packed meat to match whatever the meat of the day was. For instance, if the group was having chicken then it was requested to thaw the transported chicken to accompany it. We asked for no separate meal prep or cooking style. Pork chops,ribs,bacon,chicken,summer sausage,regular sausage,butter and milk were packed and asked to be used in tandem with the group meals. No extra effort on the chefs part.

Lakegirl480
Traveler

#1704705 - 08/07/16 11:17 AM (68.54.206.209)

As asked in a private message. Yes we tipped the crew 800.00 a piece because it the accepted practice, not because we were satisfied. I find it offensive that someone would suggest we didn't intend to tip .

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 27536

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL