Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> British Virgin Islands

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
FLJim
Traveler

Re: NPT Mooring Irritation [Re: kneafseym]
      #1730300 - 04/18/17 12:17 PM (184.90.68.130)

I've overheard people in bars brag about saving $30 by overnighting at the Park moorings. But in some cases the overnighters are desperate charterers who grab any available ball because they don't trust that heavy thing on the bow. If the Bight is full, quick - head over to the Indians.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GeorgeC1
Traveler

Loc: GA/NC
Re: NPT Mooring Irritation [Re: FLJim]
      #1730302 - 04/18/17 12:34 PM (198.36.28.250)

I will post a longer review of the week. Observed the same things you did. Dead calm the first 4 days with people overnighting on park buoys everywhere.
G

NCSailor
Traveler

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Re: NPT Mooring Irritation [Re: GeorgeC1]
      #1730306 - 04/18/17 12:56 PM (38.140.173.82)

Interesting that folks are leaving boats unattended at the Baths and Indians. I thought Moorings/Sunsail required that someone stay on board at all times when hooked to a NPT ball due to the poor condition of the ground tackle and pendants.

agrimsrud
Traveler

Loc: Apex, NC
Re: NPT Mooring Irritation [Re: FLJim]
      #1730310 - 04/18/17 01:19 PM (198.206.244.4)

Quote:

FLJim said:
I've overheard people in bars brag about saving $30 by overnighting at the Park moorings. But in some cases the overnighters are desperate charterers who grab any available ball because they don't trust that heavy thing on the bow. If the Bight is full, quick - head over to the Indians.

Yea... I think you are probably right - that's very likely what is going on. As I'm thinking about it it's not the fact that these people are using the NPT mooring for overnight that's annoying to me - that doesn't really affect me. But if you are going to overnight on the NPT mooring at least get off of it at first light so your lack of planning doesn't affect everyone else. IMHO.

Saturday we picked up the last mooring ball on Cooper at 10:30 in the morning. Never seen that before. I enjoy Cooper but I'm not willing to give up a day of sailing (not sure it's called "sailing" when there is zippo wind but you get the point) just so I can be at Cooper. But that's how it worked out this time.

--------------------
Life's short - sail more!

Twanger
Traveler

Loc: Maryland
Re: NPT Mooring Irritation [Re: agrimsrud]
      #1730312 - 04/18/17 01:26 PM (50.193.144.241)

So when we visit the Baths we slip our mooring at first light at Marina Cay and usually get to the Baths at 7am, having had breakfast on the way. I've had several boaters angrily accuse me of staying there over night, but no, this is the one day in our trip that it pays to start early, and we do.

I agree with the above... it's hard to see the Baths in 90-min.

We're usually gone by 9am when most of the boats start showing up.

CottageGirl
Traveler

Loc: Petoskey, MI
Re: NPT Mooring Irritation [Re: Twanger]
      #1730319 - 04/18/17 02:42 PM (76.76.166.138)

We do somewhat the same thing as Twanger with the Indians. Get off our ball at first light from Norman, motor over, and snorkel while some folks are having breakfast and some snorkel. Then we move on with our plan for the day.

LocalSailor
Traveler

Loc: USVI
Re: NPT Mooring Irritation [Re: CottageGirl]
      #1730325 - 04/18/17 03:06 PM (65.113.105.2)

I read a lot of complaints but no realistic solutions to charter boats simply ignoring the clearly stated rules on their NPT receipt.
Who is the BVI agency responsible for enforcement anyway?
A predawn boat leaving Tortola and arriving at 1st light at the Indians or other NPT sites will result in fines, p*ss off the charterers, and solve the problem for a few hours.
A pre-sunset visit by the same 'unknown agency' will result in fines and quite a few vessels moving in near darkness to search for alternative for the night.
The next week the same problems will surface as a new set of charter boats fail to observe the same rules.
To me it is clearly a mix of disrespect, ignorance, entitlement, abuse, no consequences of their transgression and little practical enforcement activity.
Sailors who do observe courtesy and common regard for the rules are penalized.
Can anyone envision a workable, practical way to solve this blatant disregard for the NPT overnighting problem.

Once 2 or 3 boats are clearly moored for the night at an NPT site it seems to be a magnet for more boats to join them under the "they are doing it" reasoning.

sail2wind
Traveler

Loc: GJ, CO S/V Long Overdue
Re: NPT Mooring Irritation [Re: NCSailor]
      #1730327 - 04/18/17 03:14 PM (64.79.144.10)

Quote:

NCSailor said:
Interesting that folks are leaving boats unattended at the Baths and Indians. I thought Moorings/Sunsail required that someone stay on board at all times when hooked to a NPT ball due to the poor condition of the ground tackle and pendants.

I have never heard this, how would you go to dinner or go diving

NCSailor
Traveler

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Re: NPT Mooring Irritation [Re: sail2wind]
      #1730342 - 04/18/17 04:11 PM (38.140.173.82)

Quote:

sail2wind said:
Quote:

NCSailor said:

I have never heard this, how would you go to dinner or go diving

This was part of the Moorings briefing a couple of years ago. They made have changed it since if the condition of the NPT moorings improved.

maytrix
Traveler

Loc: Massachusetts
Re: NPT Mooring Irritation [Re: CottageGirl]
      #1730348 - 04/18/17 05:08 PM (98.110.184.110)

Quote:

CottageGirl said:
We do somewhat the same thing as Twanger with the Indians. Get off our ball at first light from Norman, motor over, and snorkel while some folks are having breakfast and some snorkel. Then we move on with our plan for the day.

Only downside is this is really the worst time of day to see the indians. Best time is noon or so when the sun is nearly directly over head. Or even a little in the day so the light is better for seeing things.

--------------------
Matt

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 5166

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL