Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> British Virgin Islands

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
LocalSailor
Traveler

Loc: USVI
Re: NPT Mooring Irritation [Re: agrimsrud]
      #1730430 - 04/19/17 12:27 PM (65.113.105.0)

Quote:

I don't really care how they enforce their own rules. But not enforcing them doesn't appear to be working. And I'm not sure why you and Sailtowind believe that the current completely broken usage of the NPT mooring balls is surely better than some enforcement.

And I am not sure why you believe that I feel the current misuse of NPT moorings is surely better.
That is simply not true and I do feel 'some enforcement' would be worthwhile - I just asked if anyone had any workable and practical ways to do it. I did say you had a good plan and if the Park Service boat operates there at sunrise or sunset it may well have some moderate effect.

It is just one of the many reasons I rarely sail the BVI anymore - which is especially disheartening for me - I enjoyed sailing around there for many years, and worse I can even see a few of my old favorite BVI's from my front porch here on STT.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sail445
Traveler

Re: NPT Mooring Irritation [Re: Call_me_Ishmael]
      #1730445 - 04/19/17 03:05 PM (107.72.162.121)

Actually it's not difficult to enforce the law on the moorings and it would be profitable.
All they have to do is have one person on a boat to take pictures of all the boats on a mooring which will also state the time and 90 minutes later any boat still there will be fined.
The fine would be sent directly to the charter company with the picture.

maytrix
Traveler

Loc: Massachusetts
Re: NPT Mooring Irritation [Re: sail445]
      #1730446 - 04/19/17 03:18 PM (98.110.184.110)

I'm not sure its that simple though. What if there are balls free? Does someone still need to leave? Maybe for 3 hours, there's been 2 balls free so people remain. I really don't see any issue with that. As soon as things fill up though, its time to go.

I think really what is needed even more so then enforcement is education. I think a LOT of people simply don't know there's a time limit.

--------------------
Matt

JudyG
Traveler

Loc: Milton, MA
Re: NPT Mooring Irritation [Re: maytrix]
      #1730461 - 04/19/17 05:23 PM (207.172.218.44)

The simplest way to deal with parking beyond the limits is a combination of electronically controlled "mooring" tie-ups and radio signals when there is an overtime violation. The charter boat companies must want to see this problem solved even if the government does not dare to care. You will not need a fleet of mooring cops, and the fines will roll in from those who don't "know" the rules

MrEZgoin
Traveler

Loc: Redmond, WA
Re: NPT Mooring Irritation [Re: JudyG]
      #1730464 - 04/19/17 05:53 PM (73.140.238.245)

Quote:

JudyG said:
The simplest way to deal with parking beyond the limits is a combination of electronically controlled "mooring" tie-ups and radio signals when there is an overtime violation. The charter boat companies must want to see this problem solved even if the government does not dare to care. You will not need a fleet of mooring cops, and the fines will roll in from those who don't "know" the rules

I think we have different definitions of what constitutes "simple" :-)

I can't imagine what it would take to keep that kind of system maintained and functional in that environment.

GlennAModerator

Loc: Macon, Georgia
Re: NPT Mooring Irritation [Re: MrEZgoin]
      #1730465 - 04/19/17 06:06 PM (70.177.21.121)

Monitoring does not need to be continuous. A few random passes a month at 9PM to take boat names and sent the charter company a bill for a $500 fine and the word would get around pretty quickly. The fear of enforcement is often more effective than enforcement itself.

--------------------
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. - Mark Twain
My attempt to reduce charter fees

mcevog
Traveler

Loc: NJ USA
Re: NPT Mooring Irritation [Re: GlennA]
      #1730466 - 04/19/17 06:31 PM (138.20.184.1)

100% agree with that

captmoby
Traveler

Loc: Kansas
Re: NPT Mooring Irritation [Re: GlennA]
      #1730470 - 04/19/17 07:00 PM (70.169.125.212)

Pay the person a decent percentage of the fine and they will have plenty of people willing to help enforce it.

--------------------
Jim
Sailmoby

NODEE
Traveler

Loc: Annapolis, MD
Re: NPT Mooring Irritation [Re: captmoby]
      #1730511 - 04/20/17 08:21 AM (108.3.171.4)

I suppose that a simple solution would be to just hike the permit fee and install more moorings until a saturation point is achieved.

Alternatively, Orca Green Marine is working on a new solar powered charging station mooring ball that could probably be modified to provide a potential monitoring/electronic fee collection solution. Saw a prototype of the ball at the Annapolis Boatshow last fall. Their plan is to market it to municipalities.

Dirichlet
Traveler

Loc: MD, USA
Re: NPT Mooring Irritation [Re: agrimsrud]
      #1730519 - 04/20/17 09:05 AM (132.250.22.14)

Here's another solution; motor until you're out of the park area (they're generally small) then anchor and dink back in. Or, simply move on. There are plenty of attractions to see - no need to get all bent up, especially when on vacation down there
Note: I was just there last week (Voyage 600 Jus' Chillin). Our times overlapped at least a little. I never had a problem getting a ball anywhere (Baths, Indians, White Bay, The Bight, Saba/BEYC, etc.).

--------------------
... DIF all the time...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 3626

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL