Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> British Virgin Islands

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
StormJib
Traveler

Re: Medical Evacuation Insurance [Re: JasonHelmbrecht]
      #1740505 - 08/09/17 01:19 PM (199.168.151.169)

AMEX has many offers. They are not all created equal. You get what you pay for in most cases and in this case your credit score and background will come into play. Better credit can reflect risk and behavior habits. My family has no limits on evac costs and no activity limits nor a preexisting condition clause. Scuba Diving and Sky Diving are covered or at least not excluded.

The rub if there is any... the fine print says the travel must be charged to AMEX and your card must be current i.e. you are not behind paying your bills. If a child jumps in a college road trip car they may not be covered. If you use miles with no charges to the card you may not be covered. There is some history of AMEX covering trips as long as another card was not used for the travel. 90 days in the same place no longer becomes "travel" in my agreement. The BVI only lets me stay 30 days so no worry there.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JasonHelmbrecht
Traveler

Loc: Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
Re: Medical Evacuation Insurance [Re: StormJib]
      #1740511 - 08/09/17 02:31 PM (209.59.90.198)

Good to know I'm only being held back by my credit score and background. Can you add a link to the AMEX site that shows the coverage they offer?

sail2wind
Traveler

Loc: GJ, CO S/V Long Overdue
Re: Medical Evacuation Insurance [Re: JasonHelmbrecht]
      #1740522 - 08/09/17 04:06 PM (184.166.21.62)

I have to call bull on this:

"your credit score and background will come into play. Better credit can reflect risk and behavior habits"

GlennAModerator

Loc: Macon, Georgia
Re: Medical Evacuation Insurance [Re: sail2wind]
      #1740529 - 08/09/17 05:24 PM (70.177.22.163)

As much as it pains me to agree with StormJib , Amex personal platinum does include as a standard travel benefit $100K medical transportation and $20K medical expenses for Latin America, Caribbean and Bermuda travel.

--------------------
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. - Mark Twain

Deepcut
Traveler

Loc: Georgia & South Carolina
Re: Medical Evacuation Insurance [Re: GlennA]
      #1740536 - 08/09/17 07:59 PM (96.32.194.30)

Will check these. Thanks

--------------------
Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (Lagoon 42)

Deepcut
Traveler

Loc: Georgia & South Carolina
Re: Medical Evacuation Insurance [Re: CHS_JDE]
      #1740539 - 08/09/17 08:43 PM (96.32.194.30)

On Call International Website seems to say that planes no longer available

--------------------
Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (Lagoon 42)

MarkMN
Traveler

Loc: Minnesota
Re: Medical Evacuation Insurance [Re: Deepcut]
      #1740549 - 08/10/17 01:51 AM (68.117.34.142)

I've had DAN insurance for a few years and just submitted my first claim for an injury while snorkeling off Norman Island. It wasn't an evacuation, but rather it filled the role of secondary insurance after my primary finally covered their part of my surgery and other fun visits. The evacuation coverage is actually what brought me to DAN, and for the price it fit my needs . I'll throw out a new post later once I see how all the coverage is handled.

--------------------
Mark

RatmansWife
Traveler

Loc: Memphis, BVI, CT
Re: Medical Evacuation Insurance [Re: Deepcut]
      #1740550 - 08/10/17 03:01 AM (32.216.27.90)

I'm seeing this on On Call's web site:

http://www.oncallinternational.com/app_m....pdf?v=06042013

They keep taking our annual premiums, too! We found them through Insure My Trip, but they didn't come up when I used their trip planner just now.

We have UN medical insurance, which is good around the world, so we needed medical evacuation that covered longer stays. At least up until now, On Call membership has been good for trips up to 60 days. We come back to the States for a couple weeks, which we like to do anyway.

StormJib
Traveler

Re: Medical Evacuation Insurance [Re: sail2wind]
      #1740564 - 08/10/17 08:42 AM (199.168.151.169)

Quote:

sail2wind said:
I have to call bull on this:

"your credit score and background will come into play. Better credit can reflect risk and behavior habits"

You can call "Bull" but with AMEX and some other credit providers the better your credit background the better the offers. Particularly proactive offers. One difference between good credit and great credit with AMEX is the jump to unlimited evac and medicals while traveling subject to any other insurance you may have. Most of the fine print from AMEX notes they pay second to any other primary benefit you have.

Some members get no insurance benefits from AMEX, some get some very limited travel benefits, then some will cap out at $100K, and then others have unlimited benefits to get you home or replace your luggage if you charged the travel to The Card. If you picked your card based on points or rebates you likely get none of those benefits. If you are using Visa or MC for much of your travel AMEX will likely not invite you to the more flexible levels of membership.

AMEX was checking and data mining everything we do long before Google. AMEX was built to take care of their customers and does reward loyalty.

CGB
Traveler

Loc: now - or when ?
Re: Medical Evacuation Insurance [Re: StormJib]
      #1740581 - 08/10/17 11:59 AM (70.49.187.173)

All interesting chatter.....

Does anyone have "first-hand knowledge" and actually gone through a claim process with any of these insurance companies?
And, specifically - with evac ?

Otherwise... kinda moot to be arguing which is best... no ?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 3582

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL