Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> British Virgin Islands

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
Christo
Traveler

Loc: UK
Re: Upcoming Charters [Re: nicky]
      #1745298 - 09/12/17 10:05 AM (81.154.126.197)

Sunsail have said that they have cancelled all charters up to 31st October. Further update will be available on Friday.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NWA4Sail
Traveler

Loc: Fayetteville, Ar
Re: Upcoming Charters [Re: Christo]
      #1745304 - 09/12/17 10:27 AM (204.110.197.10)

Thanks for the info Christo. We have a charter scheduled thru Sunsail 10/20-27th. If I could ask did they contact you or did you call them? This will be my 7th charter thru them and I'm hoping for a refund not credit. We looked at the Bahamas during the same dates and all they offer are larger Cats. Plus very expensive airfare!

Christo
Traveler

Loc: UK
Re: Upcoming Charters [Re: NWA4Sail]
      #1745309 - 09/12/17 10:34 AM (81.154.126.197)

Hi NWA4Sail - I was talking to them about another matter and took the opportunity to ask if there was an update. We are in a similar position to you, albeit charter not until January. They said they would know more on Friday

NWA4Sail
Traveler

Loc: Fayetteville, Ar
Re: Upcoming Charters [Re: Christo]
      #1745314 - 09/12/17 10:42 AM (204.110.197.10)

Thanks again! We'll follow their website and hope for the best. Good luck with your travels!

zhawk
Traveler

#1745327 - 09/12/17 11:00 AM (96.18.114.143)

Mark, owner of S/v Orion at TMM emailed me Sunday and said while no specific news re Orion, that all the TMM yachts were destroyed or severely damaged. Yes he IS refunding full deposit for my Jan charter. Mark was so great to work with too. Hope he and TMM come out of all this ok.

onlymedication
Traveler

Loc: Annapolis, MD, USA
Re: Upcoming Charters [Re: nicky]
      #1745373 - 09/12/17 12:49 PM (108.12.183.90)

Quote:

nicky said:
Quote:

onlymedication said:
Quote:

nicky said:
Sadly, it is probably not a good idea to plan to go on a charter to the BVI right now. We will be cancelling; apart from the obvious question of how we could 'enjoy' a charter amongst all the loss and sadness, there are insurmountable practical problems. Everyone on the Islands needs access to power, water and food, and they must have priority on all resources.
Just delay and plan to go when they are ready for visitors again and this will help the islands to get back on their feet.

I could not disagree more. When they say they are open and ready for business, it will mean they are open and ready for business. If you decide not to go because you don't think it will be the best way to spend your holiday $$ or time, that is certainly your prerogative, but don't lie to yourself or anyone else by suggesting that your choice is humanitarian in nature.

It is hard to know which part of "...plan to go when they are ready for visitors again and this will help the islands to get back on their feet." you did not comprehend. Please try to be less offensive.

Perhaps it was the bolded part which led me astray. I personally think labeling my post as offensive is a touch strong. Nevertheless, I do sincerely apologize that I have offended you. All the best...

StormJib
Traveler

#1745376 - 09/12/17 01:02 PM (71.224.66.174)

Quote:

NWA4Sail said:
Thanks for the info Christo. We have a charter scheduled thru Sunsail 10/20-27th. If I could ask did they contact you or did you call them? This will be my 7th charter thru them and I'm hoping for a refund not credit. We looked at the Bahamas during the same dates and all they offer are larger Cats. Plus very expensive airfare!

October is one of the most challenging months for charter boat weather. That is too early for the Bahamas where storms can show up from nowhere in October. It is starting to get cool and the last month many of the bases are open in Europe. The weather will still be hot in southern Spain where Sunsail has options. Grenada should be warm and ready to go this October. Sundsail has many, many locations spanning the globe.

Joeswind
Traveler

Loc: Milwaukee
Re: Upcoming Charters [Re: StormJib]
      #1745541 - 09/12/17 10:05 PM (173.89.25.35)

Of course any talk of getting the charter fleet back up to norm assumes the owner's appetite to replace their boat vs. just taking the money and retiring from the fleet.

--------------------
Mike M.

StormJib
Traveler

Re: Upcoming Charters [Re: Joeswind]
      #1745576 - 09/13/17 06:02 AM (71.224.66.174)

Quote:

Joeswind said:
Of course any talk of getting the charter fleet back up to norm assumes the owner's appetite to replace their boat vs. just taking the money and retiring from the fleet.

It takes a village. The banks and insurance underwriters must be in. Certainly the easiest path is current and past owners actively making down payments and signing docs for newer and bigger boats. If the most recent boat owners are not there with some cash and their credit? The charter operator and boat manufacturers can fill at least some of those gaps with a large and active sales presence at every boat show and even demos staffed with sales talent on every dock on Tortola. The lowest cost way to go own a boat in the Carribean is charter.

The jump start and pump primer is the new boats already in the pipeline with a business dream of making a delivery to the VI before the busy season starts past Thanksgiving. The largest threat may be docks and airlift allowing guests to get to and from what is open for business.

Edited by StormJib (09/13/17 08:20 AM)

Will_L
Traveler

Loc: Ill, USA
Re: Upcoming Charters [Re: StormJib]
      #1745599 - 09/13/17 08:32 AM (67.45.114.198)

Quote:

StormJib said:
Quote:

Joeswind said:
Of course any talk of getting the charter fleet back up to norm assumes the owner's appetite to replace their boat vs. just taking the money and retiring from the fleet. [/quote

It takes a village. The banks and insurance underwriters must be in. Certainly the easiest path is current and past owners actively making down
payments and signing docs for newer and bigger boats. If the most recent boat owners are not there with some cash and their credit? The charter operator and boat manufacturers can fill at least some of those gaps with a
large and active sales presence at every boat show and even demos staffed with sales talent on every dock on Tortola. The lowest cost way to go own a boat in the Carribean is charter.

Indeed this is a very unique business model and it faces an unimaginable headwind. The industry depends essentially on a customer (a buyer of a charter yacht) to furnish the product they rent to other customers by the week.
In most businesses acquiring a new customer is the most difficult sales job they have. It is far easier to profit from and deal with existing clients/customers than find new ones.

Looking at paraquita bay, moorings base, nanny Cay, Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor and hearing from some of the charter companies, it would seem to me that the majority of the fleet is either a total loss or badly damaged.

So as mentioned above is the owner of a charter boat that receives a settlement from a total loss likely to turn around a purchase a new boat? There will be many financial outcomes from this disaster. Many with an older boat in a fleet nearing phaseout have in many cases found themselves underwater on the mortgage. The insurance proceeds based on the hull value they insured for will likely allow them to pay off the boat and have some money left. The mortgage payments, commissions and storage fees as you try to sell a boat after charter go away.

But that charter owner knows they got out of a trap. If after 5-7 years of ownership they found their circumstances changed and not taking weeks of sailing vacations, they are not likely to invest in a new boat.

Those getting an insurance payment for a new boat may or may not be made completely whole but should be back near even. They will have the opportunity to make the same decision they did in the last couple years, write a check for down payment and sign a contract. How eager will they be to do that. Many of us know that the storm damage on the islands we love will heal. The green will return in time. But will the owner getting that insurance settlement want to immediately reinvest or "wait and see"?

The owner of a badly damaged boat that is not totalled will have a different perhaps more complex set of problems. If the boat is in a fixed income charter operation like Moorings I assume the hit will be on the moorings unless there is something in the contract that they can get out. But in charter companies that pay the owner a % of charter income after all expenses, the expenses and mortgage payments will go on for months with no income while waiting for repairs.

Attracting new owners that just begin studying the situation will be exceedingly difficult in the aftermath of this storm that depended on a track that if it had been 50 miles farther north would have done moderate damage. All mention of the Virgin Islands will be about the devastation and difficulties in recovering. I had friends cancel a trip because of the mosquito borne illness scare last year. With the news being about suffering and cleanup, not many new customers I fear are going to choose to become owners or charterers in the BVIs this season.

It is likely that some charter companies will not survive. Those with deep pockets will. But it may be a much smaller fleet with drastic effects on employment for the industry and tourism dollars, thus hurting the already fragile economy for a long while.
Fast talking salesmen at boatshows won't help much. Selling New Orleans condos in the fall of 2005 after Katrina would be a similar plan. It will take some time.

Sorry for the length. I hope I am wrong .

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 10340

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL