Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> British Virgin Islands

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
GeorgeC1
Traveler

Loc: GA/NC
Re: Upcoming Charters [Re: aarpskier]
      #1744069 - 09/08/17 04:01 PM (107.19.188.171)

I think we will all be surprised at what is accomplished by 15 Dec. Even today I see signs of hope with the sun shining.
G

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sail2wind
Traveler

Loc: GJ, CO S/V Long Overdue
Re: Upcoming Charters [Re: redwritr]
      #1744073 - 09/08/17 04:06 PM (75.171.156.42)

Quote:

redwritr said:
we've got a charter coming up as well and are concerned about safety, whats in the water after the storms have gone, massive concrete slabs, wiring, not to mention oil, etc. that stuff won't be on any charts

How upcoming? I think it would be a stretch to think anything will be habitable by Christmas

Christo
Traveler

Loc: UK
Re: Upcoming Charters [Re: maytrix]
      #1744083 - 09/08/17 04:22 PM (86.176.174.156)

Maytrix - following on from your post, does anyone have any thoughts/ideas/past-experience/blind-speculation about how the reefs, coral and snorkeling will have been affected? I can recall past times many years back when storms had pretty much ruined the snorkeling out on Horseshoe reef.

I totally agree...some of the best things about the BVI are the natural elements + rum...

StormJib
Traveler

Re: Upcoming Charters [Re: redwritr]
      #1744096 - 09/08/17 04:50 PM (199.168.151.165)

Quote:

redwritr said:
we've got a charter coming up as well and are concerned about safety, whats in the water after the storms have gone, massive concrete slabs, wiring, not to mention oil, etc. that stuff won't be on any charts

Nature will take care of the oil in the water in very short order. It will be made a noisy issue but biology, chemistry, and physics will take care of the fluids that end up in the water. Try to not get distracted by that. Glass, nails, and other solid stuff in the beach will be a long term concern.

StormJib
Traveler

Re: Upcoming Charters [Re: Christo]
      #1744105 - 09/08/17 05:07 PM (199.168.151.165)

Quote:

Christo said:
Maytrix - following on from your post, does anyone have any thoughts/ideas/past-experience/blind-speculation about how the reefs, coral and snorkeling will have been affected? I can recall past times many years back when storms had pretty much ruined the snorkeling out on Horseshoe reef.

I totally agree...some of the best things about the BVI are the natural elements + rum...

Sure I will give you some blind speculation from my cracked and cloudy crystal ball...

Sediment runoff has long been a problem for coral reefs worldwide. Construction coupled with herds of charter boats dumping waste concentrated in anchorages 24/7 has long been a problem in the BVI.

The destruction, waves, and rain dumped massive amounts of sediment in the waters. You can see it in the pictures.

The cleanup and new construction will dump more for years.

The real risk now. The area is completely defoliated. Erosion will be a major issue with any rain. The next storm or the rains of November. Runoff and sediment will changed things on the ground and below the surface.

All that dribble aside... Long ago all these islands were clear cut and completely deforested for lumber and even the making of simple charcoal.

Nature has a way of curing itself. The new nutrients will be a plus for some things. The low vis will be a plus for some things. Sure some hard corals will die to be replaced by soft corals. These islands have lived through this before, nature will heal itself once man slows down and allows the healing to begin.

Mandatory holding tanks with die testing would be a good first step in the mooring fields. That is much less of an issue if the boats are designed and built for it.

Horseshoe reef should be the first to recover. The cleanup, construction, and rain will dump beaucoup silt into the waters around it. There will be little practical way to recover without that damage.

DaveF
Traveler

Loc: Orlando, Florida
Re: Upcoming Charters [Re: StormJib]
      #1744113 - 09/08/17 05:21 PM (72.238.202.199)

I have never chartered in winter...it is just not my time for a lot of reasons. That said if I had plans for end of year / early next year there is no doubt in my mind I would do everything I could to keep my trip and it would be without a doubt one of the best visits ever.

BVI is the most wonderful place in the world. Everyone on this site can attest to that. The beach bars and all that we talk about for our itineraries are really just a small part of the visit. There is so much more, and all this does not take away what BVI is to me.

I know without a doubt if I could go and did go this winter the people the places may not be back to 100% but the friendship and open arms will be more than 200%.

Go if you can

--------------------
Dave

harleybuffett
Traveler

Loc: Billings, MT
Re: Upcoming Charters [Re: DaveF]
      #1744123 - 09/08/17 05:46 PM (216.187.131.101)

I totally agree with DaveF...we have a charter for November 2018. My husband is a little reluctant even 14 months out. While things will probably never be the same, we love the people and we'll just come up with new experiences rather than what we've always done.

majoma
Traveler

Re: Upcoming Charters [Re: harleybuffett]
      #1744145 - 09/08/17 07:37 PM (24.5.99.249)

A few years back Cabo San Lucas was totally destroyed by an hurricane. I went there three months later and everything was looking good again. Everyone worked 24/7 to restore the town. It was amazing.

StormJib
Traveler

Re: Upcoming Charters [Re: majoma]
      #1744171 - 09/08/17 09:12 PM (71.224.66.174)

Quote:

majoma said:
A few years back Cabo San Lucas was totally destroyed by an hurricane. I went there three months later and everything was looking good again. Everyone worked 24/7 to restore the town. It was amazing.

Competition! Cabo had West Coasts deep pockets, some global pockets and direct jet access. Reality this month. Destruction, opportunity, and real need from Barbuda to Tenn all the way to greater HOUSTON that is 20 million people in the US minimuim. Maybe much more. Dade County alone has 40,000 boats alone.

The BVI will either step up with open arms to investors and/or reinvestors or not.

The little guys must decided to sit or roll forward their booked rooms and boats. Those that get an insurance check must bet that plus more cash. Outside new funds must decide to bet and bet large. Otherwise their willl be a failed local economy and civil unrest like the incredible MARTINIQUE a few years ago. I will get flamed for pimping the airport. No easy access no investment and reinvestment and little future. You must feed the beast and the next generations.

Call me all the names you want I have anchored boats everywhere except Venezuela between Maine and The Panama Canal. The reasons iislands fail is very consistent.

NoelHall
Traveler

Loc: Louisville, KY
Re: Upcoming Charters [Re: StormJib]
      #1744176 - 09/08/17 09:24 PM (74.141.130.113)

I plan to honor my December charter if Voyage can provide a boat. We booked 'MERLYN' although we have no idea if she still floats. I figure the islands need the tourist dollars now more than ever. That said, I want to be comfortable with our safety, both for ourselves and our property, in the case people become desperate to meet their basic needs.

--------------------
Noel Hall
"It is humbling indeed, to discover my own opinion is only correct less than 50% of the time."

www.noelhall.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 13144

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL