Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> British Virgin Islands

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
bvilovercgb
Traveler

Loc: ONTARIO
Re: The Logistics of rebuilding. [Re: GaryC]
      #1745032 - 09/11/17 02:35 PM (70.54.1.189)

I could not believe how many foreign nationals actually work in Tortola. So, there may be a huge shortage of able and willing locals to work. Their families may be using their muscles! Many of the foreign workers may be leaving due to there not being housing for them.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CGB
Traveler

Loc: now - or when ?
Re: The Logistics of rebuilding. [Re: GaryC]
      #1745034 - 09/11/17 02:38 PM (70.49.187.173)

Jason - I hear you
but, did anyone ever come and "stop" you from working on your own "residential" place?

StormJib
Traveler

Re: The Logistics of rebuilding. [Re: CGB]
      #1745037 - 09/11/17 02:42 PM (199.168.151.165)

Quote:

CGB said:
Jason - I hear you
but, did anyone ever come and "stop" you from working on your own "residential" place?

Do not let your Mom get caught sweeping the stoop or pulling weeds in the garden? Many will also get jammed up as their current employers ends or pauses business in this mess. ExPats cannot simply transfer jobs in the BVI anymore.

tpcook
Traveler

Loc: South Sound Villa Virgin Gorda
Re: The Logistics of rebuilding. [Re: StormJib]
      #1745139 - 09/11/17 07:22 PM (75.133.122.28)

My concern is how financially stable are the 2 local insurance companies for a huge loss like this. Do they have enough re-insurance. If they fail then the problem really become impossible. Many of the non-local labors will go home as they will not have any place to live. I have asked my original builder of my villa to come out of retirement and lead the re-build. He will have to get a workers permit and has asked me to do that. I believe the lower bedroom in my villa is livable, so that is where he would live. I have already contacted some of my USA suppliers of material. It will be a difficult task.

--------------------
tpcook

StormJib
Traveler

Re: The Logistics of rebuilding. [Re: tpcook]
      #1745142 - 09/11/17 07:25 PM (71.224.66.174)

Quote:

tpcook said:
My concern is how financially stable are the 2 local insurance companies for a huge loss like this. Do they have enough re-insurance. If they fail then the problem really become impossible. Many of the non-local labors will go home as they will not have any place to live. I have asked my original builder of my villa to come out of retirement and lead the re-build. He will have to get a workers permit and has asked me to do that. I believe the lower bedroom in my villa is livable, so that is where he would live. I have already contacted some of my USA suppliers of material. It will be a difficult task.

How long was the original build after the foundation in better times?

tpcook
Traveler

Loc: South Sound Villa Virgin Gorda
      #1745153 - 09/11/17 08:12 PM (75.133.122.28)

The original 2 bedroom main part of the villa was built in a little more that 12 months. From bare land. The second building was built in 12 months also It also included a pool.

--------------------
tpcook

StormJib
Traveler

#1745154 - 09/11/17 08:13 PM (71.224.66.174)

Ring the Queen. Tell Her Majestry it is time to keep up with the French.

France’s public insurance agency estimates that Hurricane Irma inflicted $1.44 billion in damage on infrastructure in the French overseas islands of Saint Martin and Saint Barthelemy.

In a statement Saturday, the Caisse Central de Reassurance, France’s public-sector reinsurer that provides coverage for natural disasters, said that amount covers damage to houses, vehicles and businesses.

bvilovercgb
Traveler

Loc: ONTARIO
      #1745187 - 09/11/17 09:41 PM (70.54.1.189)

I am thinking that any materials, will go to BVI citizens first. They do not have the luxury of having that second home. And getting said materials in will also be a huge challenge...then getting it all up mountain roads. Years I see years to repair.

Jeannius
Traveler

Loc: Worcester, U.K. and Spain
      #1745239 - 09/12/17 03:20 AM (81.132.68.180)

Quote:

StormJib said:
Ring the Queen. Tell Her Majestry it is time to keep up with the French.

France’s public insurance agency estimates that Hurricane Irma inflicted $1.44 billion in damage on infrastructure in the French overseas islands of Saint Martin and Saint Barthelemy.

In a statement Saturday, the Caisse Central de Reassurance, France’s public-sector reinsurer that provides coverage for natural disasters, said that amount covers damage to houses, vehicles and businesses.

I had a quick word with Liz and she said to ask for your advice seeing as you did so well after Katrina, which is in your back yard, and you could drive there.

--------------------
Mike

http://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com

gordaguy2
Sponsor

Loc: Adagio Villa, Mahoe Bay,Virgin...
Re: The Logistics of rebuilding. [Re: tpcook]
      #1745303 - 09/12/17 10:24 AM (174.112.86.166)

Thorsten - Virtually all insurance (property and Casualty) companies reinsurance with other companies throughout the world - the originator collects the premium and your policy is syndicated to other insurance companies thus spreading the risk. For example Lloyd's of London is a giant auction arena where major insurance companies "bid" on originated policies.

Edited by gordaguy2 (09/12/17 10:26 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 3606

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL