Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> British Virgin Islands

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
NewfieSailor
Traveler

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
Re: Don't charter with the Catamarans Company [Re: HillsideView]
      #1749175 - 10/11/17 11:46 AM (99.249.98.195)

Quote:

HillsideView said:
The BVI has been pushed back 30 years. It was a special place and time then. High maintenance types and/or those with high/demanding expectations are going to be sorely disappointed. Personally, I can hardly wait to get back. Simple times again.

Totally agree! Can't wait to go back.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Deepcut
Traveler

Loc: Georgia & South Carolina
Re: Don't charter with the Catamarans Company [Re: NewfieSailor]
      #1749205 - 10/11/17 06:10 PM (96.32.194.30)

Holding deposit for a currently booked charter that cannot occur as scheduled should result in an immediate refund unless agreed to by charterer.

If charter company can place on a replacement yacht (i.e. another Lagoon 45 if chartered a Lagoon 45) for the same time period, then charter company would (likely) be following contract.

--------------------
Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (Lagoon 42)

Will_L
Traveler

Loc: Ill, USA
Re: Don't charter with the Catamarans Company [Re: Deepcut]
      #1749210 - 10/11/17 07:41 PM (67.45.112.171)

Thinking Voyage is not on as firm financial footing as TMM and Moorings. Thatís likely what the deal is. Will they survive and make good on keeping deposits on charters they cannot fulfil as scheduled? Possibly ..but who knows? My take..if they donít have a boat available for a scheduled charter and you request a refund for a charter booked during that time..you are entitled to a full refund if you donít choose to wait until later.
It would be wise for these companies to offer 10 days for 7 or a significant discount to book a charter later than scheduled. But not returning deposits on boats not available is unconciounsnable. ..or sign they are financially precarious.
The same company if indeed are forcing someone to take a different boat or a different time ..would in no way allow a chartered to change those items a few weeks out.

--------------------
http://tropicalbreeze.smugmug.com/

tradewinds
Traveler

Loc: An island state of mind
Re: Don't charter with the Catamarans Company [Re: Will_L]
      #1749212 - 10/11/17 07:59 PM (99.82.249.196)

Quote:

Will_L said:
Thinking Voyage is not on as firm financial footing as TMM and Moorings. Thatís likely what the deal is. Will they survive and make good on keeping deposits on charters they cannot fulfil as scheduled? Possibly ..but who knows? My take..if they donít have a boat available for a scheduled charter and you request a refund for a charter booked during that time..you are entitled to a full refund if you donít choose to wait until later.
It would be wise for these companies to offer 10 days for 7 or a significant discount to book a charter later than scheduled. But not returning deposits on boats not available is unconciounsnable. ..or sign they are financially precarious.
The same company if indeed are forcing someone to take a different boat or a different time ..would in no way allow a chartered to change those items a few weeks out.

Sorry, but I beg to differ. After talking to the Voyage reps, including the co-owner of the company, at the Annapolis Boat Show, I don't have a problem with their solvency. Obviously, the Moorings has a bigger base to draw from if you want to just be a number. And after talking to TMM, they didn't give a warm fuzzy feeling. In terms of George's beef with Voyage the past few years, he's not even an owner anymore, but obviously an expert, and that's gotten long in the tooth.

Will_L
Traveler

Re: Don't charter with the Catamarans Company [Re: tradewinds]
      #1749221 - 10/11/17 09:08 PM (67.45.112.171)

Whoa, may have been wrong. I donít have a dog in this fight. I know that having had a boat with TMM for many years and knowing Barney Crook, the owner, he was a pioneer of the charter business. I owe them not a thing, nor do they me. Havenít spoken to them for 4 years. Iím certain the pockets are deep. As is the company behind moorings id guess.

I thought I read a post where voyage was equivocal about refunding money on abooked charter they could not accommodate, if wrong, Iím sorry. If true, that to my mind is unacceptable. I donít know your interests or Georgeís. I have ZERO interest in where or if anyone charters a boat. If an airline or a villa or a charter company are not willing to refund monies for a trip this year to the bvi they are greedy or donít have funds for a refund. Your milage may vary. All good.

Iíve got much more money likely lost in this fiasco that was Irma than you do and guessing much more in contributions to the general funds and people i care about in the BVI. Please donít lecture those who have invested in boats and property if you have nothing currently at risk.

tradewinds
Traveler

#1749222 - 10/11/17 09:19 PM (99.82.249.196)

Once again, I would beg to differ. You have no idea how much we've contributed to help the people that we know and need it, rather than mouthing off. You have NO IDEA what we have invested in. I wasn't lecturing at all, you were being long-winded about stuff you know nothing about.

Will_L
Traveler

#1749223 - 10/11/17 09:26 PM (67.45.112.171)

Whatever, this is exactly why I donít come here very much and I assume why itís much slower than in previous times. Rave on.. Iím done. I hope all your land and sea properties in the bvi fared well.

tradewinds
Traveler

#1749230 - 10/11/17 10:56 PM (99.82.249.196)

I'm not raving about anything. Please, be done.

d_fish
Traveler

Loc: Tustin CA
      #1749232 - 10/11/17 11:47 PM (68.231.214.87)

Quote:

Will_L said:
It would be wise for these companies to offer 10 days for 7 or a significant discount to book a charter later than schedule. But not returning deposits on boats not available is unconciounsnable. ..or sign they are financially precarious.

I tend to agree with the latter part of the statement about returning deposits for a full refund on a charter boat that cannot be delivered. My group does not wish to take a different boat at a different time period. They told me flat out they want to cancel and receive a refund. I cannot change that and why should I convince them otherwise, its their money, their time and their prerogative. They will consider a trip possibly 2 years down the road, but do not wish to leave a substantial deposit on hold with Voyage.

Voyage was very vague regarding our options a few weeks ago when I called regarding our trip and deposit. They requested more time to assess even though the rep told me they were down to 6 out of 30 vessels in their fleet and 1 new one on the way for November. I said that even with 7 boats next year they couldn't accommodate all charters in the timeframe we are scheduled, so we would choose a full refund. He said he would notate that on our account and left it at that. So I did not officially request a refund but implied we would like a full refund as the boat we chartered was lost.

Yesterday I too received the email thanking their "wonderful clients who have allowed them to postpone their charters and hold their deposits and credit towards future charters" We did not agree to this... now what??? I have not yet requested a refund, but think I will call tomorrow.

Edited by d_fish (10/12/17 12:23 AM)

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
      #1749235 - 10/12/17 08:07 AM (107.77.253.5)

This one is done, for sure.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 6492

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL