Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> British Virgin Islands

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
tothedogs
Traveler

Loc: Eastern MA
Re: Warning to Moorings refugees to St Lucia [Re: snmhanson]
      #1750813 - 11/01/17 03:11 PM (129.63.123.24)

We have chartered in the Grenadines six times and are returning for the seventh this January doing a one-way from St. Vincent to Grenada. To this point, the furthest north we have been is Wallilabou. Boat boys were a bit agrgessive but no problem. No issues at all in Kearton's, Young Island, or Blue Lagoon.

From Bequia down to PSV on these trips we have not had any issues and are not anticipating any based on past experience. We have also been respectful, freely passed out Hairoun's and a few EC's on the way for assistance. We exersize reasonable, but not undue caution in locking the boat and dinghy. I am sure there are periodic episodes everywhere in the Caribbean, but in our experience these are the exception and certainly not the rule.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
aarpskier
Traveler

Loc: Rockford, Michigan
Re: Warning to Moorings refugees to St Lucia [Re: maytrix]
      #1750841 - 11/01/17 09:42 PM (174.221.6.128)

Quote:

maytrix said:
What time of year did you go? I think, either things have changed or it is different during the busy season.

2005 - April
2007 - November

Jccarr
Traveler

#1750846 - 11/02/17 04:31 AM (68.102.38.41)

Under sail, we made it from between the Pitons, close to Sugar beach, to Bequia in 9 hours. We were up pre dawn engines running and slipped the lines at the first perception of morning light. We made Bequia in 9 hours and there at about 3:15 pm. Marigot bay is 10 miles north and requires more presision to clear the mooring area so you may want a bit more light on departure. Marigot Bay to Bequia is possible, Be sure to check on the time when the customs office closes. We were on a Moorings 4800 which may be faster than a smaller boat.

We were aware of additional crime around Soufriere so moored as far south/away as possible. We also had dinner on board. I felt pretty safe at our location. We also felt safe at Rodeny Bay.

I wrote a 2 part trip report on the one way trip over in the southern Caribbean section.

Edited by Jccarr (11/02/17 04:35 AM)

FRANKIE2
Traveler

Loc: S/V Event Horizon
Re: Warning to Moorings refugees to St Lucia [Re: socamon]
      #1750895 - 11/02/17 02:58 PM (162.212.13.71)

We are presently sailing the Grenadines after our cat was destroyed in the BVI. We were in the Pitons the day prior to this event and had several tense encounters with "boat boys".
Presently we are in Marigot Bay. I would not return to the Pitons, even though it is a easy stop before a run to Blue Lagoon. Yesterday, there were no boats in the Pitons when we passed by. This is a beautiful area, but if the locals do not take steps to make it safe, I will not be back.

KF Quinn
S/V Event Horizon (destroyed)

snmhanson
Traveler

Loc: Pacific NW
Re: Warning to Moorings refugees to St Lucia [Re: Jccarr]
      #1750900 - 11/02/17 03:30 PM (68.186.105.33)

Thank-you Jccarr - that's very useful information. I read your trip report a couple times and it is partly what inspired me to do this trip. We will be on a 42' Lagoon so probably not quite as fast as the 4800 you were on, but we'll hope for a fresh breeze and keep the throttle pinned if we don't get one. I'm sure we'll get some good info about the current situation during our briefing, but I've got a couple follow-up questions in the meantime if you don't mind helping me out a bit more:

If we do head straight for Bequia from Marigot Bay I'm sure it will be late afternoon and close to dusk on our arrival. Was it pretty crowded on your arrival at 3:15? Or were there plenty of options for anchoring and/or mooring? And is the holding pretty good so that we won't be struggling to set our anchor as the sun is nearing the horizon?

Second, did you feel more comfortable and secure once you got south of St. Vincent and into the Grenadines? Less aggressive boat boys and less overall sense of crime in general?

It's really too bad this is an issue down there. All it's going to do in the long run is keep sailors like us away from their islands. As a family of five, between dining, shopping and incidentals, it's not uncommon for us to spend $1,000 or more at many of our stops. If I have to worry about my family being robbed or assaulted, or fending off overly aggressive boat boys, I am not going to be visiting those islands and will be spending my money elsewhere.

Matt

rhans
Traveler

Loc: Michigan
      #1750924 - 11/02/17 04:57 PM (69.36.53.120)

The moorings in the Grenedines in general are interesting and the ones in Bequie are deep in. The anchor holding in from the drop off towards Princess Margret Beach is great.

Jccarr
Traveler

Re: Warning to Moorings refugees to St Lucia [Re: rhans]
      #1750950 - 11/02/17 10:32 PM (68.102.38.41)

SNM, Bequia had many moorings open at 3:15. We moored away from Princess Margaret beech for security. We never felt unsafe anywhere on the trip but that was a year ago. Iím mostly reacting to what you see on the internet and the unknown, but once there we were fine last year. Generally the crime is theft of items left unlocked, no different than the mall at Christmas, not counting recent events at the Pitons. There were far more boat boys at the Tobago Cays than St Lucia and Bequia. All were polite and were providing services. Entering Bequia a boat boy will meet you and try to guide you a mooring ball that they are accociated with. I generally try to get a spot away from shore. The first Bequia boat boy was fine with me making my own selection, a nice lady met us next to help with the mooring, she just charged for the mooring. We accept their help and provide them some money. I even paid one guy to not help us, I wanted my crew to gain experience mooring. This goes a long way for relations and does not cost you much. We head back to Grenada in a few days. I let you know how it goes.

Fyi, the painters on the mooring balls in the area donít have floats and the painter sinks, they require a bit more digging or help from your boat boy.

You should check the carribean security network and noonsite for what they have reported.

Edited by Jccarr (11/02/17 11:15 PM)

BoatLifeIsGood
Traveler

Loc: Seminole, FL
Re: Warning to Moorings refugees to St Lucia [Re: Jccarr]
      #1751001 - 11/03/17 01:49 PM (65.32.152.145)

Our group has booked a Moorings crewed sailing trip to St. Lucia and our crew is from St. Lucia. After reading these post we are reconsidering sailing in St. Lucia. Has anyone experienced this while on a crewed cat? Normally the crew doesn't leave the ship and they will take you in on their dinghy. I would think the locals and "boat boys" would not bother you. Any thoughts or experiences with this?

maytrix
Traveler

Loc: Massachusetts
      #1751009 - 11/03/17 02:34 PM (198.55.234.150)

I felt perfectly safe in St Lucia when in Rodney Bay and Marigot bay. We felt safe at the Pitons during a day stop as well. I just wouldn't have left the boat. This particular trip though our visit was to inspect our boat and make a list of issues, so we didn't really go anywhere but those 3 spots. We spent the majority of our time docked at Marigot enjoying the Capella resort.

Our prior trip (now 5 years ago) we did go all the way down to the Tobago Cays and back and felt safe the whole time as well. We we're never alone anywhere, there were always other boats.

Only stop we made on St. Vincent in Blue Lagoon since there was a Moorings/Sunsail base there at the time. We then stopped in Bequia, Canouan and Tobago Cays.. Bequia we stopped twice I think once on the way down and on the way back as well.

--------------------
Matt

aarpskier
Traveler

Loc: Rockford, Michigan
Re: Warning to Moorings refugees to St Lucia [Re: FRANKIE2]
      #1751106 - 11/04/17 04:23 PM (97.91.61.135)

Quote:

FRANKIE2 said:
I would not return to the Pitons, even though it is a easy stop before a run to Blue Lagoon. Yesterday, there were no boats in the Pitons when we passed by.

A decade ago, our charters from St Lucia were not complete without an overnight stop to visit Dasheen. Fond memories include the climb up and meeting and talking with other cruisers over drinks while watching the sun set, before a fabulous dinner. It's too bad that experience has to be missed simply because their is no beach / bay security.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 6803

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL