Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> British Virgin Islands

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
aarpskier
Traveler

Loc: Rockford, Michigan
Re: Which is the BEST catamaran for 1st bareboat? [Re: StormJib]
      #1752668 - 12/01/17 07:00 PM (97.91.61.135)

Quote:

StormJib said:
Always get the ... largest, boat you are willing to afford. ...The smaller the distance from the bow stem to the water will make the mooring ball process easier.

The first part of this statement is absolutely untrue, and contradicted by the later, correct statement. This is your first bareboat experience. You want the smallest, easiest to handle boat that will meet your creature comfort needs (like the 3900 or 4000 with A/C). You look at the plus 50' cats in thirty years, when your crew of kids, their spouses and your grandkids numbers a dozen!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rhindley
Traveler

Re: Which is the BEST catamaran for 1st bareboat? [Re: aarpskier]
      #1752670 - 12/01/17 07:42 PM (98.15.224.128)

I would think any sized catamaran would be fine for five people. I've sailed for two weeks with ten people (two families) on a 42'. I would compare price, layout and amenities before worrying too much about size...and both were older with no issues

Deepcut
Traveler

Loc: Georgia & South Carolina
Re: Which is the BEST catamaran for 1st bareboat? [Re: Rhindley]
      #1752673 - 12/01/17 07:51 PM (96.32.194.30)

I agree do NOT get BIGGEST yet.
I routinely sail Lagoon 42 "single handed" (even with others on board. Good visibility Self Tacking Jib(i.e. no crew needed). Main halyard to helm with electric winch. Sport top, so direct view of cockpit. Of course A/C/ genset/ Microwave/ WiFi....

I also agree Moorings a "safe" choice, but not the best choice. Agree TMM, CYOA should both be way up on your list, but still a reason the bulk of charter companies are IN BVI, not near BVI. Charter customers mostly want to start in BVI.

--------------------
Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (Lagoon 42)

maytrix
Traveler

Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Which is the BEST catamaran for 1st bareboat? [Re: snowdog]
      #1752688 - 12/02/17 08:29 AM (198.55.234.150)

We owned with Moorings for about 6 years. The majority of our trips, we upgraded to other boats, so we used a large variety of boats. From brand new to exiting the fleet any minute..

New or old, we had a problem here or there on many trips. Only one trip was it something that couldn't be fixed and that was on their 58' Cat (A/C), only about a year old at the time. Every other time, the problem was solved very quickly. And with hte 58, we were offered a 48, although with just 2 nights left we decided not to bother.

Issues on other trips ranged from a broken shower spray on the transom, to the generator not working, to an engine over heat issue and a number of other minor items. Most common was the A/C not working and needing to be bled, but after having this happen once or twice, I quickly learned how to resolve it.

End of the day, all the issues we're resolve quickly and none really had a significant impact on our trip.

So while I would highly recommend the 3900 or 4000 as the owners versions are awesome (non-owners as well), I wouldn't be concerned with spending less on an older boat. At least not with Moorings. I can't speak to the others having not used them.

--------------------
Matt

aarpskier
Traveler

Re: Which is the BEST catamaran for 1st bareboat? [Re: Rhindley]
      #1752693 - 12/02/17 09:32 AM (97.91.61.135)

Quote:

Rhindley said:
I would think any sized catamaran would be fine for five people.

The issue for the OP is not how many people the boat can sleep, but who is going to sail the boat. His crew consists of two adults (himself - experienced / wife - inexperienced) and three small children. Shorter = easier = better for initial bareboat charter.

Deepcut
Traveler

Loc: Georgia & South Carolina
Re: Which is the BEST catamaran for 1st bareboat? [Re: aarpskier]
      #1752696 - 12/02/17 11:12 AM (96.32.194.30)

I would say the best option is to invite a couple (sailors preferred) who are good with their kids, or perhaps a couple with one child similar in age. The biggest advantage would be having another adult(or 2) to help with picking up moorings/etc who is not also tasked with watching the kids. While having some experience would be nice, just having other adult will lessen stress on your wife for these times.

When docking, having adult watching for safety of smaller kids is of utmost importance.

--------------------
Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (Lagoon 42)

gerroa
Traveler

Re: Which is the BEST catamaran for 1st bareboat? [Re: Deepcut]
      #1752746 - 12/03/17 10:01 AM (69.169.178.148)

I sit and watch chartered sail equipped catamarans moving about all the time from my house and my observation is that very few use the sails for the shorter hops. I ask myself why don't people just go with the powered versions which seem to scoot about at greater speed and appear to ride better

706jim
Traveler

Re: Which is the BEST catamaran for 1st bareboat? [Re: gerroa]
      #1752747 - 12/03/17 10:06 AM (216.26.212.71)

The decks are easier to navigate with the lack of rigging on a powercat. Also, the picking up a mooring is easier as there is nothing in the way of the pennant up front.

GeorgeC1
Traveler

Loc: GA/NC
Re: Which is the BEST catamaran for 1st bareboat? [Re: gerroa]
      #1752759 - 12/03/17 12:11 PM (108.213.0.118)

You are either a sailor and get it or your not. My vacation starts when I roll the jib out exiting Roadtown and kill the motors. It's the time under sail where I get to reflect on many things and spent some of the highest quality time ever with my family.
I go I the BVI to unwind and slow down.. Not to race from place to place.

aarpskier
Traveler

Re: Which is the BEST catamaran for 1st bareboat? [Re: GeorgeC1]
      #1752760 - 12/03/17 12:42 PM (97.91.61.135)

Amen, and amen, George!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 2349

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL