Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> BVI People Talk

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
tmsxmsails
Traveler

Loc: Massachusetts USA
Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: saildoggie]
      #1562230 - 01/25/14 10:17 AM (71.10.242.21)

Another GoPro user here. I usually only take one 32 GB memory card and offload the files to my laptop at the end of the day. It's not just to free up space on the card but I like to review the shots and see how things turned out. Helps me know if I want to get other similar or different shots. My MacBook Air is so light that bringing it along is barely noticeable.

I have the long, transparent GoPole but I was concerned over taking it on the airplane (although people say it's not a problem) so I went to the local dollar store and bought a cheap extendable window washer pole. I cut the end off and put a tripod screw in the end that I attach my GoPro tripod mount to. Works great.

I had one instance of lens fogging but it was not underwater. I think I put the camera in the case when I was below deck and when I brought it out into the hot sun, I had fogging.

I don't have an extra battery but I only film in short bursts. I don't leave it running for long periods of time.

I'm definitely going to look at the flex clamp thing - that looks very versatile.

Here are the obligatory links to some of my GoPro videos

Sailing Videos

Tom

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
stoneyusaf
Traveler

Loc: Venice Florida (Texas transpla...
Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: tmsxmsails]
      #1562338 - 01/25/14 07:29 PM (70.117.12.177)

I AM LOVING THIS....thanks and keep it coming.....other folks are learning as well

--------------------

[/url]

tradewinds
Traveler

Loc: An island state of mind
Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: stoneyusaf]
      #1562418 - 01/26/14 10:26 AM (99.82.251.133)

Just an FYI, I've found that flying will completely drain the battery so I have to charge it back up upon arrival.

Also, be careful making "homemade" accessories, especially with PVC pipe. You never know how the TSA will view it and I've seen it taken away before.

saildoggie
Traveler

Loc: In Cahoots..;-0
Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: tradewinds]
      #1562441 - 01/26/14 12:12 PM (108.0.79.228)

Have also noticed that flying drains the batteries.

Never had a problem with PVC pipe home made accessories, if they do take them, there bits of PVC pipe scattered as discarded all over Tortola and also easy and cheap to buy, they won't look quite as cool as the ones I coated with Plastidip and applied GoPro stickers to but will work just fine.

tradewinds
Traveler

Loc: An island state of mind
Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: saildoggie]
      #1562509 - 01/26/14 05:50 PM (99.82.251.133)

For $20, I'd rather not worry about scavenging for PVC pipe in somebody's yard.

TackingAg
Traveler

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: tradewinds]
      #1562532 - 01/26/14 07:27 PM (72.183.127.20)

Quote:

tradewinds said:
For $20, I'd rather not worry about scavenging for PVC pipe in somebody's yard.

I also found having a quality collapsing/extendable pole was nice. I could keep the camera on the pole, collapse it, and then throw it in the backpack as we headed off somewhere else.

--------------------
~~~~_/)~~~~
"The TTOL Member Map Guy"
TTOL Member Map
Support Gumption
twitter: @kjbresser / #ttolbvi

msdj69
Traveler

Loc: TN
Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: TackingAg]
      #1563598 - 01/30/14 11:23 AM (199.19.133.52)

Stoney ... Thanks for starting the thread. I was asking many of the same questions in another thread.

I'm a novice myself. Just got my Hero 3+ Black for Christmas. I'm taking a sailing trip in early June with my brother and our kids. This will be my third charter and everybody else's first. I REALLY want to capture the moment with them so I'm working hard to gain the knowledge and equipment I need to make it happen.

Please excuse my ignorance: the video from a GoPro is always "fisheye", correct? If there's a way to film standard HD video, I haven't run across it yet. I've only had it a few weeks, though. Maybe I'm missing a setting. I planned to take my HD camcorder as well for non-watery, land-based shots. Not sure if that's necessary or not, though.

I have a 64GB card so it sounds like I'll have plenty of storage. I may purchase a backup just in case. The ocean is no place to run out of space.

I read in a few blogs battery life was a real issue. I purchased an external battery charger and two extra batteries. I plan to keep them in rotation with two charged batteries ready at any time. We'll see if that works.

Accessories I already have: chesty, mono pole, head mount, extra batteries/charger, floaty backdoor, and Ram rail mount. I looked at the Bobber and I believe it will be a much better solution than the floaty.

Thanks for your input and advice. I'm really enjoying this thread.

--------------------
Mike

TackingAg
Traveler

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: msdj69]
      #1563610 - 01/30/14 12:16 PM (65.36.85.58)

Mike, I think it's page 21 of the manual that you'll want to follow to change your Field of View from SuperView to Medium. Test and see if it's "normal" enough for your preference.

GoPro Manual

--------------------
~~~~_/)~~~~
"The TTOL Member Map Guy"
TTOL Member Map
Support Gumption
twitter: @kjbresser / #ttolbvi

msdj69
Traveler

Loc: TN
Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: TackingAg]
      #1563666 - 01/30/14 03:55 PM (199.19.133.52)

Quote:

TackingAg said:
Mike, I think it's page 21 of the manual that you'll want to follow to change your Field of View from SuperView to Medium. Test and see if it's "normal" enough for your preference.

GoPro Manual

I'll test it and see what happens. Thanks again for the advice.

--------------------
Mike

jagmansr
Traveler

Loc: Ohio
Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: msdj69]
      #1563863 - 01/31/14 12:20 PM (24.31.175.97)

I just got a gopro too. Lots of good advice. I also got a snorkeling mask that the gopro attaches to. I'll be in BVI in March and May so can't wait to play with it. Still trying to figure out additional must have attachments.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 14755

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL