Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> BVI People Talk

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
stoneyusaf
Traveler

Loc: Venice Florida (Texas transpla...
GOPRO Questions
      #1561767 - 01/23/14 05:49 PM (66.194.83.50)

I am considering buying some accessories for my New GoPro before I head to the islands and have some questions - When you were diving or snorkling did you find a need for antifog inserts? Did you have a floaty back or one of the hand held float devices that attached to the camera? I am thinking of getting the one that attaches to the base of the camera. I have one 64GB card....based on your useage (I know you can't guess mine)...but..again..based on your useage was 64gig enough or would you advise that I should buy/bring more? Did anyone use the LCD back on the camera?...can you see it underwater or is it basically useless? Did you use the red lens cover? If so, was it worth it and if not did you wish you had one? Any other devices that you took and used and glad you had while in the BVI OR...were there any accessories that once you got there said "Darn, I wish I had that?" Sure would love to here people's take on this and other things on the GoPro. As many people that indicate that they are buying and taking one I think this may be a good forum to help each other on this relatively new technology.

--------------------

[/url]

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bfoxg8r
Traveler

Loc: Cruz Bay, St John
Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: stoneyusaf]
      #1561771 - 01/23/14 06:05 PM (173.227.104.102)

I don't use the anti fog inserts, and I haven't ever regretted it. I do use an extendable pole for underwater filming, and it makes a big difference. It steadies the camera and lets you get a bit closer to some of the fish. Check out the GoPole. I don't use the LCD back or a red filter.
I have several 32 gig cards that I use.

I also have the handle bar mount so I can mount it on the rail.

http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/handlebar...CFYpaMgodGE0A1w

The only thing I use out of the ordinary is a rotating ikea kitchen timer for time lapse pictures.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30066725/

It makes for some pretty neat shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn_gPWPxGv0

I also take a charger and one extra battery.

Enjoy!

Edited by bfoxg8r (01/23/14 06:18 PM)

Capnmike
Traveler

Loc: Whidbey Island, WA
Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: bfoxg8r]
      #1561848 - 01/24/14 12:44 AM (50.106.20.80)

Stoney, I have had fogging problems while diving, instead of using the expensive gopro anti fog inserts, I found some "panty liners" and cut them in strips and placed them below the camera in the housing.

I have used the LCD Backpack while diving and it works great but it cuts the battery time. DO NOT use the floaty back door if you use the LCD, blocks the view, I use a lanyard, no float.

I use a 32 gb card, but I bring my laptop to download after each dive. If I am diving I always use the red lens, you will be amazed at the difference, got mine at www.polarprofilters.com/, I do not use the lens while snorkeling. I also have several spare batteries and chargers.

I use a telescoping "trekking pole" with a seat/handelbar mount so I can get range from 22 inches to 48 inches.

I have 2 GoPro 2's, 2 GoPro 3's and a GoPro 3+ and have been involved with underwater photography since 1970. the GoPros have cut my luggage requirement by about a ton.

You are going to love your pictures.

tradewinds
Traveler

Loc: An island state of mind
Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: Capnmike]
      #1561918 - 01/24/14 09:53 AM (99.82.251.133)

I have this floating hand grip, which has saved it more than a few times and you can still use the LCD Backpack.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Bobber-Floatin...ds=go+pro+float

stoneyusaf
Traveler

Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: tradewinds]
      #1561977 - 01/24/14 11:57 AM (66.194.83.50)

Quote:

tradewinds said:
I have this floating hand grip, which has saved it more than a few times and you can still use the LCD Backpack.

Really appreciate all of the knowledge from both of you guys..hopefully others will chime in...even if it is with more questions so we can all get better. The reason I am quoting this entry is because I was thinking about getting one of these and wanted someone to tell me first hand that it was/is worth it...and that just happened...thanks!!

--------------------

[/url]

FatDaddyK
Traveler

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: bfoxg8r]
      #1561986 - 01/24/14 12:28 PM (216.54.20.2)

Got a GoPro this past fall and used it extensively while fishing in CO and in NY. Pics and video are wonderful. While I do no have full command of its capabilities yet, I continue to learn through those of you who do. What about the 'macro lenses' out there? Are these worth using or should I "focus" on using the regular lens and red filter? I noticed the red filter advises use under 10 feet in depth. Is use in <10 feet a real issue with picture quality?

--------------------
The world is an oyster; now where did I leave my oyster knife...?

P323
Traveler

#1562123 - 01/24/14 08:08 PM (200.50.67.101)

Quote:

stoneyusaf said:
Quote:

tradewinds said:

Really appreciate all of the knowledge from both of you guys..hopefully others will chime in...even if it is with more questions so we can all get better. The reason I am quoting this entry is because I was thinking about getting one of these and wanted someone to tell me first hand that it was/is worth it...and that just happened...thanks!!

I'm on the boat here now, and I love the bobber for snorkeling. I don't know how you would hold the GoPro Hero3+ without it, unless you had it on the pole. You quickly find an optimum angle to adjust the camera to, and it is easy to hold and point at full arm's length as you are snorkeling. I lucked out and found some great deals on a bunch of 32GB SanDisk Extreme Plus before Christmas. I prefer to just turn the camera on when I get in the water and turn it off when I get out, because I frequently discover things I want to shoot and there isn't always the time to punch the button. I set the camera to never turn off when snorkeling. I prefer the battery bakpak to the LCD when snorkeling. The GoPro field of vision is so great, at arms length, how can you miss? With the battery bakpak there's no need to worry about running continuously. The Wasabi batteries (2ea with charger) work fine, and at $20 for the kit, I've got 6 Batteries, 3 chargers. I just change everything out between same-day "dives" and put the used ones on charge. Copy the data to laptop via USB3 micro-card reader as needed. It's a slick camera; great pics/video, and no worries about the boat action shots in the rain or spray.
Gary

saildoggie
Traveler

Loc: In Cahoots..;-0
Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: P323]
      #1562132 - 01/24/14 08:39 PM (108.0.79.228)

The get a lot for the bobbers, I use the handlebar mount from Go Pro on a short piece of PVC pipe, only takes about 2" of foam noodle, the kind with the hole in the center, glue an end cap on and you have the same thing for maybe 25 cents.

I also use a 2 section PVC pipe instead of those expensive ones on the market.
The wifi remote is my favorite gadget.

Kite cam wifi remote:

Edited by saildoggie (01/24/14 08:56 PM)

TackingAg
Traveler

Loc: Austin, TX
      #1562204 - 01/25/14 09:01 AM (72.183.127.20)

Welcome to the GoPro club, Stoney. You'll love it.

We used a 64GB card for our entire recent 8 day trip and had room to spare. I regretfully had also brought my laptop to back up video just in case (also needed it for a few things prior to landing in the BVIs - but never afterwards!). But I never had to fire it up to move over files.

No fogging to think of. No red lens. Did not have the LCD backing and everything was surprisingly in frame when I went to look at it later. I bought two extra batteries ($20/each), but I think I could have gotten away with just one backup.

My biggest recommendation is to get the camera at least a month before so you can get to know it before all of the fast and exciting things happen on your trip. You'll want to figure out which settings you really like (Wide, SuperWide, ProTune or not, etc.) The iPhone/iPad app is great and the wireless remote is good, but you should learn how to use it with just the buttons on the camera. You won't always have time to fumble with the app, you'll want to be familiar with the camera buttons while underwater, and using the remote/app with the camera WiFi on is the #1 drain on the battery - so be sure to keep it off as much as you can. I call it the blue light of battery death. But it was fun at night to play back some video on the iPad using the app. Easy - no file transfers, plugging anything in, etc. You don't see the HD version while playing on the app, but it's good enough for that particular time.

The GoPro editing software/studio is the best I've used compared to iMovie and similar Windows editors. They get it and know that of all of the video that you take while floating around or sailing, you'll just want to clip out a few parts of it. Converting to the output of your choice is as simple as it gets.

My recommended "must haves" are the following.

GoPole - the longest adjustable one you can find. Used it mostly for snorkeling.

GoPro Jaws Clamp

The Jaws clamp is awesome. No fuss with setting up the handle bard clamps that come with the camera. Move the camera around wherever and whenever you want. I found it really useful to clamp to the table in the cockpit while underway so it was always secure and within arms reach so I was ready when then dolphins came swimming by!

GoPro Dual Battery Charger

I looked at several knock off chargers, but I ended up getting this brand version. I wanted something that had a USB plug for the 12v charger and would power up both batteries at the same time (mostly overnight).

Of course, you'll drop a little more money on a microfiber cloth cleaner and a back for all of these gadgets.

Also, one of the arms on my flat quick release buckle broke during the trip. That would have sucked if the other one had also broken and I hadn't been able to connect it to the Jaws. So I'd recommend also taking the raised buckle that comes with the camera even if you think you won't use it. Here is what I'm talking about - Flat Quick Release Buckle

You've seen it before, but here is our video from the trip last month. I'll be watching it for a lifetime! BVI Video

Again, shout if you find yourself running through Austin sometime. I'm happy to discuss over lunch or a few shots of rum.

--------------------
~~~~_/)~~~~
"The TTOL Member Map Guy"
TTOL Member Map
Support Gumption
twitter: @kjbresser / #ttolbvi

saildoggie
Traveler

Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: TackingAg]
      #1562221 - 01/25/14 09:46 AM (108.0.79.228)

AVS4U is another editing program that is free or just $19 and super easy to use.

tmsxmsails
Traveler

Loc: Massachusetts USA
Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: saildoggie]
      #1562230 - 01/25/14 10:17 AM (71.10.242.21)

Another GoPro user here. I usually only take one 32 GB memory card and offload the files to my laptop at the end of the day. It's not just to free up space on the card but I like to review the shots and see how things turned out. Helps me know if I want to get other similar or different shots. My MacBook Air is so light that bringing it along is barely noticeable.

I have the long, transparent GoPole but I was concerned over taking it on the airplane (although people say it's not a problem) so I went to the local dollar store and bought a cheap extendable window washer pole. I cut the end off and put a tripod screw in the end that I attach my GoPro tripod mount to. Works great.

I had one instance of lens fogging but it was not underwater. I think I put the camera in the case when I was below deck and when I brought it out into the hot sun, I had fogging.

I don't have an extra battery but I only film in short bursts. I don't leave it running for long periods of time.

I'm definitely going to look at the flex clamp thing - that looks very versatile.

Here are the obligatory links to some of my GoPro videos

Sailing Videos

Tom

stoneyusaf
Traveler

Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: tmsxmsails]
      #1562338 - 01/25/14 07:29 PM (70.117.12.177)

I AM LOVING THIS....thanks and keep it coming.....other folks are learning as well

--------------------

[/url]

tradewinds
Traveler

#1562418 - 01/26/14 10:26 AM (99.82.251.133)

Just an FYI, I've found that flying will completely drain the battery so I have to charge it back up upon arrival.

Also, be careful making "homemade" accessories, especially with PVC pipe. You never know how the TSA will view it and I've seen it taken away before.

saildoggie
Traveler

#1562441 - 01/26/14 12:12 PM (108.0.79.228)

Have also noticed that flying drains the batteries.

Never had a problem with PVC pipe home made accessories, if they do take them, there bits of PVC pipe scattered as discarded all over Tortola and also easy and cheap to buy, they won't look quite as cool as the ones I coated with Plastidip and applied GoPro stickers to but will work just fine.

tradewinds
Traveler

#1562509 - 01/26/14 05:50 PM (99.82.251.133)

For $20, I'd rather not worry about scavenging for PVC pipe in somebody's yard.

TackingAg
Traveler

#1562532 - 01/26/14 07:27 PM (72.183.127.20)

Quote:

tradewinds said:
For $20, I'd rather not worry about scavenging for PVC pipe in somebody's yard.

I also found having a quality collapsing/extendable pole was nice. I could keep the camera on the pole, collapse it, and then throw it in the backpack as we headed off somewhere else.

--------------------
~~~~_/)~~~~
TTOL Member Map
Support Gumption

msdj69
Traveler

Loc: TN
      #1563598 - 01/30/14 11:23 AM (199.19.133.52)

Stoney ... Thanks for starting the thread. I was asking many of the same questions in another thread.

I'm a novice myself. Just got my Hero 3+ Black for Christmas. I'm taking a sailing trip in early June with my brother and our kids. This will be my third charter and everybody else's first. I REALLY want to capture the moment with them so I'm working hard to gain the knowledge and equipment I need to make it happen.

Please excuse my ignorance: the video from a GoPro is always "fisheye", correct? If there's a way to film standard HD video, I haven't run across it yet. I've only had it a few weeks, though. Maybe I'm missing a setting. I planned to take my HD camcorder as well for non-watery, land-based shots. Not sure if that's necessary or not, though.

I have a 64GB card so it sounds like I'll have plenty of storage. I may purchase a backup just in case. The ocean is no place to run out of space.

I read in a few blogs battery life was a real issue. I purchased an external battery charger and two extra batteries. I plan to keep them in rotation with two charged batteries ready at any time. We'll see if that works.

Accessories I already have: chesty, mono pole, head mount, extra batteries/charger, floaty backdoor, and Ram rail mount. I looked at the Bobber and I believe it will be a much better solution than the floaty.

Thanks for your input and advice. I'm really enjoying this thread.

--------------------
Mike

TackingAg
Traveler

Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: msdj69]
      #1563610 - 01/30/14 12:16 PM (65.36.85.58)

Mike, I think it's page 21 of the manual that you'll want to follow to change your Field of View from SuperView to Medium. Test and see if it's "normal" enough for your preference.

GoPro Manual

--------------------
~~~~_/)~~~~
TTOL Member Map
Support Gumption

msdj69
Traveler

Loc: TN
      #1563666 - 01/30/14 03:55 PM (199.19.133.52)

Quote:

TackingAg said:
Mike, I think it's page 21 of the manual that you'll want to follow to change your Field of View from SuperView to Medium. Test and see if it's "normal" enough for your preference.

GoPro Manual

I'll test it and see what happens. Thanks again for the advice.

--------------------
Mike

jagmansr
Traveler

Loc: Ohio
Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: msdj69]
      #1563863 - 01/31/14 12:20 PM (24.31.175.97)

I just got a gopro too. Lots of good advice. I also got a snorkeling mask that the gopro attaches to. I'll be in BVI in March and May so can't wait to play with it. Still trying to figure out additional must have attachments.

RickG
Traveler

Loc: Virginia & sv De Life
Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: jagmansr]
      #1566410 - 02/11/14 04:23 PM (70.169.167.81)

Thanks for the tips. I only did above water work on our November trip. I'm going to take it snorkeling in March. I picked up The Bobber from GoPole to try.

Has anybody had success snorkeling with the head strap? I have that, but have not used it.

Cheers, RickG

--------------------
Sailing the Virgins on De Life after she gets her Irma damage repaired.

boatjunkie
Traveler

Loc: South Jersey, USA
Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: RickG]
      #1566502 - 02/11/14 10:15 PM (98.221.114.229)

What do you guys mean by "flying" drains battery?

--------------------
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

LastMango
Traveler

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: RickG]
      #1566513 - 02/12/14 12:39 AM (99.180.93.171)

Quote:

RickG said:
Has anybody had success snorkeling with the head strap? I have that, but have not used it.
Cheers, RickG

I use the head strap while spearfishing (gotta have my hands for other stuff) - Since my mask covers part of my forehead, the camera tries to ride up on my head and slip off in strong currents and chop sometimes found at the surface. My wife added a velcro chin strap to it to keep me from losing it and it helps keep it in position.

--------------------
It must be time to race again. My wounds have started to heal.

jagmansr
Traveler

#1572232 - 03/05/14 10:50 AM (75.185.57.54)

We'll be in the BVI on Saturday. I have a gopole reach and a snorkel mask with a gopro attachment to try out with my new gopro black. We'll be back down again in May so this is "practice" in case I screw up. Hope to have some great shots to post. Can't wait to get out of this 20 degree weather!!!!

saildoggie
Traveler

Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: boatjunkie]
      #1572397 - 03/05/14 07:30 PM (74.100.233.172)

Quote:

boatjunkie said:
What do you guys mean by "flying" drains battery?

My Go Pro, wifi backpack and remote controller are always dead when we arrive.

jagmansr
Traveler

#1576036 - 03/19/14 10:04 AM (75.185.56.98)

Just got back from BVI. I brought a second battery and charger which was great. After every use, I switched batteries so I always had a full charge. I used a gopole reach and really liked it. Somewhat of a pain go drain the water out of but it was strong and worked well. I also have a snorkel mask with a gopro attachment but liked the gopole better. I have the float back but didn't use it. Most likely will attach it for our May BVI trip just for extra safety. Did not have any problems regarding anti fog issues. I have the 64K chip so lots of storage space. I hope to have some clips posted soon. Can't wait to get back in May and play with my gopro more.

tradewinds
Traveler

#1576088 - 03/19/14 12:12 PM (71.15.50.217)

Here's my latest "accessory" for my GoPro that I'll be bringing down in May & June.
http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-Aerial...ds=phantom+quad

jagmansr
Traveler

#1576094 - 03/19/14 12:43 PM (75.185.56.98)

Now that is way cool. With my luck I'd crash it and never be able to retrieve my gopro,,,,,

saildoggie
Traveler

#1576095 - 03/19/14 12:46 PM (216.156.160.201)

I'm holding out for one of these, much easier to pack!
http://airdroids.com/

Who has a link to the trekking stick that is collapsible?

tradewinds
Traveler

#1576103 - 03/19/14 01:03 PM (71.15.50.217)

Quote:

jagmansr said:
Now that is way cool. With my luck I'd crash it and never be able to retrieve my gopro,,,,,

First and foremost on my list is making floating landing gear for it. There are a bunch of "how-to" videos on Youtube.

maytrix
Traveler

Loc: Massachusetts
      #1576626 - 03/21/14 09:53 AM (173.48.112.95)

You'll love the phantom, just be careful on landings if you take off and land from the boat. Dumped mine in the water last trip. Good news is its easy to buy parts for so I repaired it. Got some awesome shots of the bubbling pool and other areas too. Lots of fun!

--------------------
Matt

tradewinds
Traveler

Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: maytrix]
      #1576652 - 03/21/14 10:43 AM (71.15.50.217)

Quote:

maytrix said:
You'll love the phantom, just be careful on landings if you take off and land from the boat. Dumped mine in the water last trip. Good news is its easy to buy parts for so I repaired it. Got some awesome shots of the bubbling pool and other areas too. Lots of fun!

Cool! Did you have floating landing gear?

maytrix
Traveler

#1577341 - 03/24/14 08:57 AM (173.48.112.95)

No floating landing gear. That might have saved me though. I'm just going to have someone grab the landing gear next time and then immediately kill the engines.

--------------------
Matt

tradewinds
Traveler

#1577375 - 03/24/14 11:33 AM (71.15.50.217)

Looks like a cut-up pool noodle and zip ties will do the trick.

maytrix
Traveler

#1577379 - 03/24/14 11:54 AM (69.147.182.218)

Yeah, I don't think its that hard to make, seen a few videos. I think I'm just going to stick with it landing on a solid surface though - I really don't want to have to repair it again :)

Did you get a gimble for it? I don't have one and have found the video to be quite stable with just a dampening mount.

--------------------
Matt

tradewinds
Traveler

#1577420 - 03/24/14 02:23 PM (99.82.251.133)

No, just the mount. I don't plan on landing it in water, but want the landing gear as a precaution that at least it wont' sink (and take my GoPro with it) if it does.

maytrix
Traveler

#1577452 - 03/24/14 04:28 PM (173.48.112.95)

It doesn't sink too quickly - when mine hit the water, I put down the remote and jumped right in and grabbed. Unfortunately I didn't have my underwater housing on my contour camera and the camera was toast.. pics were retrievable though..

If it was to crash, I wouldn't rely on the floats keeping it water free, but it would keep it from sinking.

--------------------
Matt

joeandholls
Traveler

Loc: WMASS.
      #1580835 - 04/05/14 04:07 PM (66.189.101.16)

Just an FYI on the go pro hero black. Costco has them for $329......just picked one up!

stoneyusaf
Traveler

Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: joeandholls]
      #1580855 - 04/05/14 05:41 PM (70.114.25.142)

Quote:

joeandholls said:
Just an FYI on the go pro hero black. Costco has them for $329......just picked one up!

SAMs in Texas is doing that also...caught my attention and then I saw it was 3 not 3+......I haven't had a 3 ....only 3+ so I don't know if the extra money would be worth it. I only paid $200.00 for my 3+ ....it was supposed to be on sale for $349.00...I had a $50.00 coupon and the kid took that and said "to use that coupon you have to spend more than $200.00?" I said "The camera is $349.00" He said "no sir, it is on sale for $249.00 and you are just short of $200.00 minimum".....who was I to correct this young man (after all I tried once)....that is his job after all! So I bought a bag of chips and took the total over $200.00 and checked out.

--------------------

[/url]

joeandholls
Traveler

Loc: WMASS.
      #1580882 - 04/05/14 08:46 PM (66.189.101.16)

Hmmmm.....upon further review it does seem to be a 3 not 3+. Still seemed a fair price, so I'll prolly' stick with it. These are the things that happen when I'm left unattended in the electronics section!

Twanger
Traveler

Loc: Maryland
      #1581280 - 04/07/14 05:09 PM (50.193.144.241)

This stuff is so cool.
I was just reading about a mini-chopper concept (not built yet) that would simply follow the owner around at a pre-determined distance and altitude. That would really be cool if you could launch one and have it follow your sailboat around.

TNSailor
Traveler

Loc: Maryville, TN
      #1583885 - 04/18/14 09:46 PM (24.151.216.63)

Quote:

TackingAg said:
the camera WiFi on is the #1 drain on the battery - so be sure to keep it off as much as you can. I call it the blue light of battery death.

What a great piece of advice. I wondered why that little blue light was blinking when the camera was off (I thought). You saved me from myself and a dead battery in the morning.

--------------------

tradewinds
Traveler

Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: TNSailor]
      #1584021 - 04/19/14 02:30 PM (71.15.50.217)

The Hero 4 is coming this Summer:
http://dgise.com/post/62262921573/gopro-hero-4-specs-and-release-date-are-disclosed

saildoggie
Traveler

#1584081 - 04/19/14 08:29 PM (74.100.233.172)

Wow, they need to work on the price!
$349 is a rip when you consider they cost less than $40 to make!

tradewinds
Traveler

#1584126 - 04/20/14 07:41 AM (99.82.249.196)

They're definitely not having any problems selling them at their current price levels.
Kinda the same deal with the Vinturi wine aerator

notahippie
Traveler

Loc: Georgia
      #1584526 - 04/22/14 08:46 AM (162.40.255.80)

Quote:

Wow, they need to work on the price!
$349 is a rip when you consider they cost less than $40 to make!

As soon as someone introduces a equal or better product, the prices will drop. Until then, GoPro rules the market for small, lightweight, versatile, true HD video cameras.

maytrix
Traveler

Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: notahippie]
      #1584528 - 04/22/14 08:51 AM (173.48.112.95)

There are equal products. At least close enough, they don't have something to match the highest end gopro, but have features the gopro doesn't. I prefer the design better too.

www.contour.com

might end up getting a gopro though just for use with my copter as all the stabilizing gimbels they sell are made for gopro.

--------------------
Matt

tmsxmsails
Traveler

Loc: Massachusetts USA
      #1584802 - 04/23/14 02:40 PM (71.10.242.21)

Hey all,

Since this seems to be the GoPro thread, I figured I would post this link to a GoPro related DIY video I just uploaded.

Putting the GoPro on a pole is really handy for getting different shots and there are lots of commercial poles out there as well as instructions on how to make your own.

Here's my contribution.

DIY GoPro Pole and Integrated Handle

Edited by tmsxmsails (04/23/14 06:02 PM)

stoneyusaf
Traveler

Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: tmsxmsails]
      #1586885 - 05/03/14 04:38 PM (70.114.25.142)

Quote:

tmsxmsails said:
Hey all,

Since this seems to be the GoPro thread, I figured I would post this link to a GoPro related DIY video I just uploaded.

Putting the GoPro on a pole is really handy for getting different shots and there are lots of commercial poles out there as well as instructions on how to make your own.

Here's my contribution.

DIY GoPro Pole and Integrated Handle

Thanks for this post!!! I made mine today based on this video. However....these little changes.....I went to a few dollar stores looking for the thing in the video....no luck....so I happen to pass a WalMart so I went back and looked around for a squeegee....FOUND ONE that is perfect. What I bought was a "rubbermaid professional window squeegee" - The end of it has a hard black plastic insert with threads on it and it has a rivet holding it in. I went to Lowe's and bought a "threaded rod" "3 inch 1/4 - 20" and a "Blue Hawk Hook" "Screw eyes #208 X1-3/8 IN" and a small bottle of "Gorilla Glue" I went home and drilled a hole slightly smaller than the threaded rod in the tip of the black threaded piece and took a pair of vise grips and clamped the threaded rod and put it in the hole I drilled. once I got it where I thought I wanted it, I put my GoPro tripod attachment on to see how it fit and it needed to be just a little deeper, so, I screwed it out a little, put Gorilla glue on the threads and screwed it in to the point where I know it'll work best. Then I took the Eye Hook and put it on the opposite side of the rivet and went about 3 or 4 inches down on the pole and drilled a small hole and screwed in the eye hook. Once it was threaded I took it back out and put gorilla glue on that and put it back in. The thought process behind the eye hook is I will run a line through the camera and eye hook for a peace-of-mind of hopefully not losing my GoPro. The pole extends to 84" and is light-weight aluminum and has a place on the end where it'll hold a strap for my wrist. Two weeks from today we will be arriving at EIS....I'll let you know how it worked out.

--------------------

[/url]

saildoggie
Traveler

#1586930 - 05/03/14 08:39 PM (74.100.233.172)

Just got a retractable Trekking Pole from Amazon, a quick mod, short section of rubber hose that was slit to accept the GoPro mount.
Works great and breaks down nice and small!

stoneyusaf
Traveler

#1587388 - 05/05/14 08:07 PM (70.114.25.142)

Has anyone been successful in getting an android device to pair up with the GoPro and GoPro app? I can't seem to get it to work....

--------------------

[/url]

Jdud133
Traveler

#1587407 - 05/05/14 09:16 PM (66.189.27.134)

I have downloaded the android ap on both my Razr M phone and Toshiba Galaxy Tab2 tablet. Both work perfectly. I just have to remember to go to the settings on the android device, make sure wifi is turned on and manually connect to my gopro wifi.

Edited by Jdud133 (05/05/14 09:18 PM)

stoneyusaf
Traveler

Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: Jdud133]
      #1587421 - 05/05/14 09:50 PM (70.114.25.142)

Quote:

Jdud133 said:
I have downloaded the android ap on both my Razr M phone and Toshiba Galaxy Tab2 tablet. Both work perfectly. I just have to remember to go to the settings on the android device, make sure wifi is turned on and manually connect to my gopro wifi.

Well crap...I am not electronically challenge but I can't get it to work......but....now that I know it can...I will keep trying....thanks

--------------------

[/url]

ReelG8r
Traveler

Loc: Tallahassee, FL
      #1587511 - 05/06/14 10:25 AM (216.173.170.178)

Great idea with the Kite!

--------------------
Nothing planned.....please help!

notahippie
Traveler

Loc: Georgia
      #1587792 - 05/07/14 08:46 AM (162.40.255.80)

Quote:

stoneyusaf said:
Has anyone been successful in getting an android device to pair up with the GoPro and GoPro app? I can't seem to get it to work....

I have a Galaxy, and not a problem here

stoneyusaf
Traveler

Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: notahippie]
      #1588055 - 05/08/14 10:29 AM (66.194.83.50)

While I said I am not electronically challenged....I am the type of person that reads things way to quickly and sometime miss things in the process!! I re-read the directions and SLOWED down when I did and notice I missed a very important step!! I had to go into my WiFi set-up and find the camera and put in the password and TA-DA....it works now on my phone and my tablet!! Very cool!! When I downloaded the app it would go into a mode of "looking for the camera" so I never thought about having to "find" the camera first and then have the app look for it....DUH!!!

--------------------

[/url]

saildoggie
Traveler

Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: ReelG8r]
      #1588056 - 05/08/14 10:29 AM (216.156.160.201)

Quote:

ReelG8r said:
Great idea with the Kite!

Have taken lots of pics with the GoPro up on a lifting kite, I use the wifi backpack to switch between modes and trigger the shutter.
TTOL gang at Cow Wreck, Flotilla 2012:

Lower altitude video, winds were kinda gusty.
http://s6.photobucket.com/user/saildoggie/media/BVI612/GOPR0878.mp4.html

Jdud133
Traveler

#1588104 - 05/08/14 03:10 PM (74.94.135.153)

Use the wifi sparingly as it eats the battery quickly.

stoneyusaf
Traveler

Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: Jdud133]
      #1588214 - 05/08/14 04:36 PM (70.195.198.41)

Quote:

Jdud133 said:
Use the wifi sparingly as it eats the battery quickly.

thanks for that!

--------------------

[/url]

gd1147
Traveler

Loc: Dirty Jersey
Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: joeandholls]
      #1588872 - 05/11/14 05:45 PM (69.125.243.250)

Wow, what a great score. Wish I paid that little.

Quote:

joeandholls said:
Hmmmm.....upon further review it does seem to be a 3 not 3+. Still seemed a fair price, so I'll prolly' stick with it. These are the things that happen when I'm left unattended in the electronics section!

Twanger
Traveler

Loc: Maryland
Re: GOPRO Questions [Re: gd1147]
      #1594456 - 06/13/14 05:37 PM (50.193.144.241)

I just got a GoPro Hero3+ Black, plus every option I could think of.
This is a serious upgrade to what I was using before... an old Fuji F31Fd point-and-shoot in a waterproof camera.

That old Fuji did me well, but this GoPro is lightyears ahead.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 14816

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL