Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> BVI People Talk

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
TomB
Traveler

Loc: Virginia wishing STJ
Re: Vacation ideas? [Re: BEERMAN]
      #1623625 - 01/07/15 09:48 PM (66.210.64.162)

That is truly a loaded question.

Anguilla is about white sand, blue water, food, music, friendly people and truly slowwwwwwwwwww living. A whole different pace than SXM. So how do you do one day slow.

We have done day sails from SXM and I would not recommend that way to see Anguilla. And after snorkeling in STJ or BVI you will be disappointed.

There are a couple ferry options as discussed above but you find yourself looking at your watch. There are cabs, but I think I would get a car and be in control of my own destiny... at least I think I would.

Here is an old trip report, check out Thursday. If Pascal is still in business this was the best way to do Anguilla in a day. The speed of the boat allows one to see most of the beaches in a day. I had also never been 50 mph in a boat. WoW! Seems strange the best way to have a slow day on Anguilla is to rent a fast boat.

There is an artist named Bankie Banx that I absolutely love his music. So if Sunday was my day in Anguilla I would probably pull up at Rendezvous Bay for Sunday School listen to local artist and enjoying the beach. You will be spending the day with Rastas. Some folks are not comfortable in that environment.

Shoal Bay is Anguilla's most famous beach I think, and it deserves the title. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Some good beach bars and easy to grab an umbrella and fade away. Food available but it is more a beach bar kind of place with good food.

Meads Bay, where we stayed at Carimar, if you want a beach and unbelievable lunch. There are some AMAZING places to eat on this bay. Blanchards probably being the best known and serves a great lunch at their beach restaurant. Jacala is another place and there Calamari Risotto is the best! Meads Bay are more restaurants than beach bars. So it is a beautiful beach with GREAT Food options.

So I hope this helps and does not confuse you more. The speed boat definitely makes things very easy and Pascal is really nice guy.

Since you enjoy sailing, I have to recommend that you consider in the future travelling to Anguilla at the end of May on Impendence Day - The day was just a blast and it much cheaper to enjoy the island. The sail race around the island was sooooooooooo much fun.

--------------------
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.” - Emerson

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sail2wind
Traveler

Loc: GJ, CO S/V Long Overdue
Re: Vacation ideas? [Re: TomB]
      #1623636 - 01/08/15 12:25 AM (184.166.21.62)

We will probably be on our boat for the month of May based in St.Martin. Would love to experience Blanchards, being we both read the book. Should we take the ferry or sail over. We have heard pluses and minuses

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Vacation ideas? [Re: sail2wind]
      #1623680 - 01/08/15 08:26 AM (108.96.226.77)

If you want to go to Blanchards in the evening, I think you will have to sail over, as I don't think the ferry returns to SXM in the evening.

TomB
Traveler

Re: Vacation ideas? [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1623714 - 01/08/15 09:51 AM (173.31.160.199)

Yep Carol that is what I was going to say. One would probably have to overnight on land, and Blanchards as well as other places on island to eat are well worth the stay.

I am not a sailor, albeit I have sailed a lot, but not responsible for the boat. I would think anchoring at Meads Bay would not be fun. It seems very exposed. When we were there it was slick as glass but anything passing made some pretty good waves. Total Sand Bottom. Most boats seem to anchor/moor in the Sandy Parts, which is a short cab ride away from Meads Bay.

So if Blanchards is on your to do list I think I would sail over for a couple days for dinner and maybe enjoy a couple other of the great places to eat on island.

For anyone that is not familiar with the book mentioned in sail2wind's post it is "A Trip to the Beach: Living on Island Time in the Caribbean" A great story about the Blanchard's experience. If you cannot make the trip you may want to get the cookbook: At Blanchard's Table: A Trip to the Beach Cookbook. If the Chocolate Slab does not make you want to spend a week on the island... nothing will.

--------------------
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.” - Emerson

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
      #1623728 - 01/08/15 10:48 AM (71.101.36.77)

They have kind of a beach bar there now, I think, which is open during the day, although I haven't been there, but if you're going to Anguilla just for the Blanchards, I would think you should go in the evening.

sail2wind
Traveler

Loc: GJ, CO S/V Long Overdue
      #1623755 - 01/08/15 12:31 PM (184.166.21.62)

if you want to justify the expensive prices of food in the Caribbean, read the book. A great read, especially for a restaurateur or foodie

tradewinds
Traveler

Loc: An island state of mind
Re: Vacation ideas? [Re: sail2wind]
      #1623758 - 01/08/15 12:38 PM (71.15.50.217)

You clear Customs and can anchor in Road Bay. There's a string of restaurants and bars down the beach and it's really happening on Sundays with entertainment.

TomB
Traveler

#1623792 - 01/08/15 01:58 PM (107.77.68.115)

Yep Carol the beach bar at Blanchards has great lunches and makes a mangocolada that makes me forget what a painkiller taste like. But for the Blanchard experience it is all about dinner and dessert

--------------------

SMC_Irish_68
Traveler

Loc: Virginia
      #1623887 - 01/08/15 07:02 PM (73.31.110.216)

We've stayed on St. Martin and on Anguilla. For us, Anguilla was better suited to our travel preferences: quiet beach and slow-paced holiday.

We were fortunate to stay at the Rendezous villas which was owned by the Gumb Family. The elder Gumb was still alive and we were enthralled by the story of the "mouse that roared" back in the '70's (or was it the late '60's?).

We didn't find any snorkeling to compare with the BVI. There were lots of high-priced resorts. Overall, though, Anguilla was a sleepy island and suited us nicely.

Let us know where you decide to go!

Karen

BEERMAN
Traveler

Loc: VIRGINIA
Re: Vacation ideas? [Re: SMC_Irish_68]
      #1623912 - 01/08/15 08:24 PM (72.83.250.161)

Hey, just pulled the trigger on Nettle Bay, St Maarten for February! We found a great little place on the beach and we're excited to have this trip in motion!! This was a last minute decision and will be our first Caribbean getaway without our daughter (well, since she was born) who is in college, unfortunately she's the only one with 4 years of French! We are making this an exploratory trip to see if there are places out there besides USVI/BVI that she'll love to visit! whose kidding who...we are excited about our trip for 2! A day trip to Anguilla is definitely on our itinerary because like many of us here on TTOL, it's our speed! Thank you all for the recommendations and hope you read the trip report on the SXM forum after we return from what I know will be yet another trip of a lifetime!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 8858

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL