Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> BVI People Talk

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
BarbandRon
Traveler

Loc: Thunder Bay, Ont Canada
Re: Lift ban on jet skis [Re: Orange_Burst]
      #1629676 - 02/03/15 06:16 PM (200.50.67.233)

I have no problem with jet skis even after being hit by one of Larry's jet ski while on a mooring pin at CGB( $600 damage and 8 hours of my time wasted with the police) They can be fun in the right circumstances. I have a problem with the operators of any vehicle who do not have the proper qualifications to operate a motorized or sail vessel. Larry does not carry any liability insurance he only requires a credit card. If the government of the BVI will mandate that the jetski operators have to carry liability insurance before granting a licence to operate it will be very expensive to rent. Maybe Darwin' s theory of evolution will come into play.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Manpot
Traveler

Loc: Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Re: Lift ban on jet skis [Re: BarbandRon]
      #1629688 - 02/03/15 07:28 PM (65.48.220.241)

Did you get your $$$$ from Larry??

sail445
Traveler

#1629726 - 02/03/15 11:28 PM (107.72.162.49)

Quote:

BarbandRon said:
I have no problem with jet skis even after being hit by one of Larry's jet ski while on a mooring pin at CGB( $600 damage and 8 hours of my time wasted with the police) They can be fun in the right circumstances. I have a problem with the operators of any vehicle who do not h
ave the proper qualifications to operate a motorized or sail vessel. Larry does not carry any liability insurance he only requires a credit card. If the government of the BVI will mandate that the jetski operators have to carry liability insurance before granting a licence to operate it will be very expensive to rent. Maybe Darwin' s theory of evolution will come into play.

Was one of Darwins evolved species driving the the Jet Ski ? Did the driver get hurt?

lauraandrex
Sponsor

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Re: Lift ban on jet skis [Re: Kirk]
      #1629728 - 02/04/15 12:38 AM (142.105.173.32)

Quote:

Kirk said:
Quote:

sail445 said:
The reason it would be different for Jet Skiers is because most Jet Skiers aren't boaters, they're idiots

Strangely enough, that's what most of my power boating friends say about sailboaters..............and vice versa!

lol we have a saying " sailing is a sport, power boating is an activity" ...that being said! we do both as many here know so I know the ins and outs of both sides. When we are in a heated regatta and a power boat crosses our bow I am the first to scream "effing power boater" LOL BUT that is because we are also power boaters so it's half serious , half in jest.

Same as jet skiers, we have owned them in the past and enjoyed them. The whole thing comes down to education and unfortunately the stereotypes are true.

Sailors are more or less forced to deal with a higher learning curve in relation to weather and boat performance, And how much trouble can you really get into going 9 kts (unless you are driving yourself onto a reef) . Power boaters basically get in and turn a key and steer, but let's hope that if they got far enough in life to afford a power boat, that a decent portion of them have the sense to operate it responsibly.

Jet skis that you can be 14 and rent for $50 a day is a whole nutha ball of wax. That just screams "I'm on vacation and have never done this" and then "it's a matter of when not if" something bad happens.

My point is, as with anything they have a time and a place, a peaceful BVI anchorage full of snorkelers and folks who are enjoying their time on their boat relaxing is not it! Maybe a designated spot with very supervised guided activity is OK but just willy nilly on their own is a ridiculous proposition. I hope that voices are heard on this and like Anguilla it is nipped.

--------------------
cheers! Laura
Custom Sailing Shirts https://www.facebook.com/pages/CustomSailingShirtscom/112040245530182
www.customsailingshirts.com
sales@customsailingshirts.com

BarbandRon
Traveler

Loc: Thunder Bay, Ont Canada
Re: Lift ban on jet skis [Re: Manpot]
      #1629986 - 02/05/15 07:32 AM (200.50.67.237)

Quote:

Manpot said:
Did you get your $$$$ from Larry??

Actually Larry was really good about it. Phoned his friend Moko who does fibreglass repair and had a quote in about 60 minutes, put the quoted amount on the guy's credit card and paid Moko directly. Moko did an incredible repair at the dock didn't have to haul out. Giving statements to the police was another story. Both the driver and passenger were unhurt pretty lucky considering the hit us at full speed and spun around under our bridle to the mooring pin.

sail2wind
Traveler

Loc: GJ, CO S/V Long Overdue
      #1630070 - 02/05/15 12:38 PM (184.166.21.62)

Laura, jet skis are more like $50 for 15 minutes not all day.

lauraandrex
Sponsor

Re: Lift ban on jet skis [Re: sail2wind]
      #1630075 - 02/05/15 12:58 PM (142.105.173.32)

lol my brain is stuck on Spring Break 1987 apparently lol

--------------------
cheers! Laura
Custom Sailing Shirts https://www.facebook.com/pages/CustomSailingShirtscom/112040245530182

Dugg
Traveler

Loc: Williamsville, NY
Re: Lift ban on jet skis [Re: lauraandrex]
      #1630159 - 02/05/15 06:58 PM (71.186.251.148)

Hi Laura

Just a thought about sail boats and power boats. Back in the day, the races in Wilson Harbor (on Lake Ontario) used the west pier as one end of the starting line with the other end (as always) out in the lake. Well, the hotshots decided to start as close to the pier as possible (when it was the favored end) because they couldn’t be charged for ”barging”. (Look it up in the rules book! A pier is an obstruction. ) You can imagine what the power boats thought when half of a racing fleet charged into the harbor and cranked around to clear the pier. “Just look at all those point things with sticks in the middle.” It was the power boater’s turn to scream about those “effing rag boats”.
Just sayin!

Peace
Dugg & Chris
Our VI pics are at http://picasaweb.google.com/papadugg/ - haven’t started on our ‘14 pics for Picasa. Having trouble getting ‘13 on the site.

--------------------
The sun and the sand and a drink in my hand with no bottom
and no shoes, no shirt, and no problems...KC

lauraandrex
Sponsor

Re: Lift ban on jet skis [Re: Dugg]
      #1630185 - 02/05/15 09:46 PM (142.105.173.32)

lol I can see that! We have also had to remind our outer harbor racers that they are in a shipping channel!!! and even if they know that ships have right of way they should still not freak the captains out by cutting across their bows!!

--------------------
cheers! Laura

Twanger
Traveler

Loc: Maryland
Re: Lift ban on jet skis [Re: lauraandrex]
      #1630846 - 02/09/15 02:32 PM (50.193.144.241)

Hmmmm.... how to say something about Jet Ski's in a positive way...

Safer than giving a two year a loaded handgun to play on the trampoline with!

There! I did it!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 7740

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL