Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> Afloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Cruise ship tragedy at least 3 dead [Re: Sandy471]
      #1373277 - 01/16/12 12:08 PM (71.101.41.196)

I haven't seen any talk about how or if they would salvage the ship. There are still about 10 people missing, I believe. It appears that the ship was just seriously off course?? On purpose?? Amazing.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Southshore
Traveler

Loc: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Re: Cruise ship tragedy at least 3 dead [Re: swg]
      #1373368 - 01/16/12 04:53 PM (99.253.186.254)

Quote:

swg said:
In the newspaper article I read in the Philadelphia Inquirer this morning a Costa hostess said that they only have the muster drills every 15 days; therefore, depending on when passengers board they may miss the drills. Apparently the crew also has infrequent drills. Is that ever scary!

Interesting to note that Costa is owned by Carnival.

I am surprised to hear that muster drills are held only every 15 days. We sailed on Carnival a couple of years ago. The first evening on board we were called to a life boat drill. Later, passengers who came on board in Barbados also had their own drill the first evening on board.

tomralnc
Traveler

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Cruise ship tragedy at least 3 dead [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1373552 - 01/17/12 05:05 AM (66.87.2.43)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/news/...l-1226246043110

GTcapt
Traveler

Loc: Cumming, GA
Re: Cruise ship tragedy at least 3 dead [Re: Southshore]
      #1373584 - 01/17/12 08:50 AM (108.77.26.137)

We have been on a good number of Princess cruises, another one coming up next month. Princess is a Carnival line as well as a number of others. EVERY time we sailed, a muster drill was held hours before departing. The drill is taken VERY serious by the crew we see. I must admit, I have a drink in my hand at the time:)
Last June on a cruise, while at anchor, the crew held life boat drills, lowering the boats in the water and actually practicing retrieving objects from the water.
The question I have is, are there different sets of rules and regs for the different brands Carnival owns?

This incident seems to be caused by one single captain who should not have had the position and a cruise line brand with less attention to safety than the parent company has on other brands.

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Re: Cruise ship tragedy at least 3 dead [Re: GTcapt]
      #1373592 - 01/17/12 09:25 AM (71.101.41.196)

I actually don't know if there are different rules for when lifeboat drills are supposed to take place, when you sail from the US, versus from overseas somewhere. I was very surprised to hear that many people had been on that ship for several days and had not had a lifeboat drill. The crew did not seem well trained in this instance, but to be fair to them, with the ship listing at the extreme angle that it was, it was a very tricky and dangerous evacuation. Many people reported hitting the side of the ship when the lifeboats were being lowered down. Extremely scary.

tradewinds
Traveler

Loc: An island state of mind
      #1373610 - 01/17/12 10:15 AM (99.82.251.133)

The Today Show just reported that the ship was at a normal angle for a couple of hours, but they still delayed lowering the lifeboats. Probably, because they couldn't find the Captain!

Unregistered

#1373615 - 01/17/12 10:35 AM (68.100.105.83)

The Captain of the ship was found in a life boat by the Coast Guard and was ordered to return to the ship to manage the evacuation. There was some interesting back and forth between the Captain and Coast Guard caught on tape.

http://news.yahoo.com/audio-cruise-captain-pleaded-not-reboard-ship-135859767.html

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Re: Cruise ship tragedy at least 3 dead [Re: tradewinds]
      #1373628 - 01/17/12 10:47 AM (71.101.41.196)

Apparently other members of the crew started the abandon ship manouever before the captain gave the order, as according to what I read this morning, some of the lifeboats reached shore about 10 minutes after the bells sounded and there is no way that they could have loaded a boat and lowered it in 10 minutes. The captain apparently acted very badly in many respects.

WBL_Couple
Traveler

#1373657 - 01/17/12 12:01 PM (71.3.253.63)

The American couple still missing is from our home town of White Bear Lake, MN (where our WBL Couple came from). So very tragic and sad for all of the families affected.

I don't understand the safety procedures. Every ship we have every been on has had the muster drill prior to the ship setting sail (and they were mandatory).

bbuchanan
Sponsor

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #1373684 - 01/17/12 01:25 PM (97.115.238.250)

This is an extremely tragic incident which, according to all published reporting thus far, could have been avoided. More unfortunate is the potential impact to the cruise industry overall.

I rarely book Costa in Europe primarily due to the on board exoperience and demographics. After fourteen years, I find a majority of North American passengers are not looking for that experience overall. That said, Costa is a fine line given the disclaimers I offer my guests. "Manage Expectations" is my mantra!!

SOLAS and Coast Gruard rules with regard to drills are within the first 24 hours. Most, if not all, lines sailing from US ports complete this drill prior to leaving the pier. Many lines leaving from Europe do not practice the drill until the following morning. (I did do an MSC fam trip many years ago from Fort Lauderdale and the drill was performed the following morning at sea!)

Frankly, sometimes as I watch the "condition" of passengers attending the drill; I wonder if the next morning does not have some merit when passengers are rested and (hopefully) sober. I must admitt I sometimes "cheat" and do not attend the drill after 60+ cruises. However I take very seriously where our vests and lifeboat station are. I will add that we always take a small flashlight and will begin to take two and develop a personal plan if we are not together in an emergency.

I don't think anyone really knows what reactions will be in a real emergency. The drill is done at the dock without ocean movement, in broad daylight, with the ship upright and with all electrical operational. Those are not always the conditions in a real emergency sadly.

This will all play out over a lengthy time. The thing I keep in focus is I'm safer on the ship than driving to my local grocery store and plane tragedies have not yet stopped me from getting on a plane. That said, this is still a "black eye" on the industry to many.

--------------------
Best Regards,
Bonnie Buchanan,
Master Cruise Counselor
CruiseOne Tucson Arizona
www.cruiseone.com/bbuchanan

Edited by bbuchanan (01/17/12 01:37 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 8482

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline