Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> Afloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Cruise ship tragedy at least 3 dead [Re: bbuchanan]
      #1373687 - 01/17/12 01:28 PM (71.101.41.196)

Yes, I guess the most tragic thing is that it appears this whole incident was just plain human error. It will be interesting to hear the final outcome, but that is how it appears now. Sad.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BarefootLife43
Traveler

Loc: Sailing the Caribbean on Baref...
Re: Cruise ship tragedy at least 3 dead [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1373954 - 01/18/12 10:07 AM (98.247.9.144)

Most recent report shows the ship followed an identical and, apparently, authorized route last August. The article says the previous cruise probably came "within touching distance" of the rocks. That is scary. I'm sure there's more that will come out in the investigation. If this report is accurate, how do they come up with the routes?

Unregistered

Re: Cruise ship tragedy at least 3 dead [Re: BarefootLife43]
      #1373956 - 01/18/12 10:19 AM (68.100.105.83)

Quote:

BarefootLife43 said:
Most recent report shows the ship followed an identical and, apparently, authorized route last August. The article says the previous cruise probably came "within touching distance" of the rocks. That is scary. I'm sure there's more that will come out in the investigation. If this report is accurate, how do they come up with the routes?

I read that also. If it is true, I wonder how accurate the charts are. The Captain did indicate that the charts showed plenty of depth. Of course at this point I don't think the skipper has alot of crediblity. We'll see.

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Cruise ship tragedy at least 3 dead [Re: BarefootLife43]
      #1373978 - 01/18/12 11:04 AM (71.101.41.196)

I haven't read anything today, but I had read previously that they had done an authorized deviation back in August, but that time they were not NEARLY as close as this time, was what I had read. I will see if that story has now changed. The captain has zero credibility, in my mind, after reading the transcripts of the discussions between he and the coast guard.

Unregistered

Re: Cruise ship tragedy at least 3 dead [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1373994 - 01/18/12 12:07 PM (68.100.105.83)

He told the Judge that he actually tripped into the life boat.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57361085/report-captain-claims-he-tripped-into-lifeboat/

Unregistered

Re: Cruise ship tragedy at least 3 dead [Re: Anonymous]
      #1374077 - 01/18/12 04:19 PM (72.148.177.145)

This gives a little more meaning to staying well off shore during a night-time sail-by of the Mona Kea volcano on the Big Island of Hawaii. At the time we were a little disappointed by the view (or lack thereof). All is now forgiven.

Flotsam
Traveler

Loc: Close to the water as possible
Re: Cruise ship tragedy at least 3 dead [Re: bbuchanan]
      #1374277 - 01/19/12 10:36 AM (71.82.71.108)

Quote:

bbuchanan said:
I don't think anyone really knows what reactions will be in a real emergency. The drill is done at the dock without ocean movement, in broad daylight, with the ship upright and with all electrical operational. Those are not always the conditions in a real emergency sadly.

Speaking as a life-long boater and former Safety and Emergency Response Manager for one of the largest chemical companies in the US, I've been a bit startled at the inadequacy of the emergency preparedness procedures I've observed on the two cruises I've been on. As noted above, drills conducted under ideal conditions are next to worthless for actually preparing passengers and crew to deal with real emergencies. That said, designing and carrying out effective and realistic drills would require a great deal of the passengers time as well as undoubtedly scaring the hell out of them in the process.

In my opinion, the best thing you can do as a passenger is to pay close attention to the information you are in fact given during the perfunctory drills, and then augment that with your own observation of the location of ALL emergency exits and stairways anywhere you may find yourself on board. Take that first afternoon to explore and give thought to alternate routes, etc. ALWAYS carry a small flashlight with you (the new LED lights are incredibly tiny but sufficiently bright) regardless of time of day, the interior of a ship can get really dark really fast when the power fails. If you're a boater and own a CO2 inflatable life vest, take it with you. It packs flat and allows you to grab it and evacuate as you see fit without having to find and secure one of the ship's vests.

These are just a few suggestions, you get the idea. Bottom line is, you cannot necessarily rely on the crew and/or ship's procedures to save you in a real emergency. You must be personally prepared, aware of your own surroundings at all times, and ready to improvise if the need arises. Just doing these things will drastically improve your chances of surviving a disaster such as this.

--------------------
Flotsam

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

Twanger
Traveler

Loc: Maryland
Re: Cruise ship tragedy at least 3 dead [Re: Flotsam]
      #1375438 - 01/22/12 03:10 PM (69.251.37.230)

What we do know is that the Captain failed to assess the situation properly, and subsequently reacted with cowardice, leaving 4000+ people to fend for themselves. Inexcusable. He should be held fully accountable for all of the deaths. There was plenty of time to evacuate the passengers, which he squandered while saving himself.

As far as the initial event - Running aground... also inexcusible in this day and age. The Med is one of the best charted bodies of water known to man. The excuse "hit an uncharted rock" doesn't cut it. As Captain one does not make excuses and blame the charts. One takes responsibility.

Bare
Traveler

Loc: In the woods.
Re: Cruise ship tragedy at least 3 dead [Re: Twanger]
      #1375480 - 01/22/12 06:00 PM (206.53.82.192)

There is a reason there is only one Captain, they are NOT running a democracy, this is absolute power and responsibility. If a chart officer recommends a change - and it turns out to be incorrect, the captain who accepted the change is responsible - PERIOD. There is NO other person on the entire ship who is responsible for ANYTHING, it all goes to the one and only Captain.

Temery
Traveler

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Re: Cruise ship tragedy at least 3 dead [Re: Bare]
      #1377333 - 01/27/12 07:08 PM (216.31.145.20)

my thoughts and prayers for all of those affected by this tragedy =(

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 8492

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline