Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> Nude Resorts, Beaches and Cruises

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Joecool
Traveler

Nude Etiquette
      #1429339 - 07/16/12 04:42 PM (68.193.126.83)

I'd like to discuss with other board members how they feel when enjoying themselves on a naturist beach, and some people just sit there wearing swimsuits while the rest of us are naked. I know there are rules of etiquette when enjoying the beach. Since Smith's Point and Lighthouse and Gunnison are designated with nude beach areas, some people feel it's perfectly fine to sit there with their swim suits on. I feel this is disrespectful to those who wish to be au natural. I know there are concerns when one partner feels uncomfortable, but the other doesn't. That's a private matter between two people. But when both do it, that's just creepy and disrespectful. After all, there are more areas for those who choose to wear swimsuits. I have encountered this type of behavior on more than one occasion. Any thoughts?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Nude Etiquette [Re: Joecool]
      #1429345 - 07/16/12 04:55 PM (71.101.41.196)

To me, I could care less, doesn't matter where I am. Club O is the perfect balance to me. If the person is actively leering at someone, crowding them, etc. that's different.

MarcG
Traveler

Loc: New Brunswick & Quebec, Canada
Re: Nude Etiquette [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1429360 - 07/16/12 05:51 PM (207.134.187.254)

I also find that Club Orient is the perfect balance.

--------------------
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Unregistered

#1429375 - 07/16/12 07:47 PM (68.194.77.6)

I do agree with you that if you go to a nude beach, you should get naked...JMO

Unfortunately, since Lighthouse and Gunnison are public beaches, there is nothing we can do about those who stay clothed there.

Unregistered

Re: Nude Etiquette [Re: Anonymous]
      #1429416 - 07/16/12 10:26 PM (68.199.219.248)

Unlike some on this board, I have little sympathy for the gawkers. I have been to many nude beaches over the years, and I find that no matter how remote or just out of the way the nude (CO) beach is, the gawkers will drive past beautiful and convenient textile beaches just to get to the nude beach, and then sit just there and stare. Lets be honest here, the only reason the gawkers go to the nude beaches is because the nudes are there. Would they really be there otherwise. At Gunnison beach a couple of years ago, storm damage forced a temporary closing of the CO section of the beach, forcing us to move over to the adjacent textile beach, and wear bathing suits. It was funny watching the usual gawkers leaving as soon as they saw the entire beach was textile for the day. Small digital cameras, and cell phone cameras have only made this situation worse, but thats another rant.
OK, those who disagree, pile on.

CarlosII
Traveler

Loc: Indiana
Re: Nude Etiquette [Re: Anonymous]
      #1429677 - 07/18/12 07:58 AM (75.207.223.223)

i always hated going to haulover and having to wade through the gawkers to get to the beach.

Reginald Guy
Unregistered

#1430302 - 07/20/12 07:03 PM (64.203.46.170)

Having been a gawker in the past, I know that many of them wish they had the courage to join the nudists. Now, I just ignore them, knowing that they're thinking "How can that guy not care that we see him naked?", and knowing that many of them will someday take the plunge and join in on the freedom and comfort of not caring.

The only thing that gets in the way now are those @$$holes with the camera phones who can upload to YouTube and other sites almost in realtime. If you have a business with clients or if you have an elective office, they put a major damper on one's naturist enjoyment.

~Reggie~

Unregistered

Re: Nude Etiquette [Re: Reginald Guy]
      #1430346 - 07/21/12 01:17 AM (107.9.2.207)

here here on the phones.......getting a mental eyeball image is one thing but photo/video is UNSAT..........there are videos on youtube taken by strollers with there phones either dangling or acting like they are just carrying em in their hand.............big invasion........even if your target is clothed i had to chase off a few at orient this year

Unregistered

Re: Nude Etiquette [Re: MarcG]
      #1430450 - 07/21/12 01:44 PM (87.114.119.14)

What do you mean- CO is "the perfect balance". CO beach is filled with nudes. The only textiles are the strolling gawkers. This is an ideal balance ?

Eric_HillAdministrator
Administrator

#1430455 - 07/21/12 02:24 PM (72.60.203.190)

Well actually the only "textiles" are not just stolling the beach. We have been there many more times more than once where friends that did not want to be nude where there. They were not gawkers at all. Just did not want to be nude. Simple as that.

But it is a public beach and yes the vast majority are nude -- but we also know quite a few that are not completely nude or even nude at all, so to say everybody that is NOT nude is a gawker is...... not even worth the dicussion.

If a person wants a total nude environment then that means a private resort. That is not Orient beach -- so yes you have strollers, some of which I guess you can say are gawkers, some of which are not but want to experience it for the first time, some that want to just see and believe there is a place like that, some that are just trying to find a chair, and for the first time person that is wanting to try and be welcomed because it is there first time!

Our first time -- guess we could have been accused of being gawkers as we went to the end closer to Papaguyo, so as walking by guess we are gawkers? Still if we are walking from Pedro down the beach with our beach bags then we are "gawkers" I guess. To each their own -- but this kind of attitude is what creates some of the problems.

Not that there are not problems with people, but to lump everybody into the same stereotype is just as bad. For the first time people (and yes everybody at some point was a first time person) the welcome attitude and friendlyness of the CO people in general is what makes them want to continue.

Even so there are some that have job, political, other issues that "they" have to take into consideration. I can understand that completely. In that case, then maybe Orient is not the best choice for those considerations given the public nature of Orient beach.

--------------------
Eric Hill
TTOL Shop

tiger79
Traveler

Loc: England
Re: Nude Etiquette [Re: Eric_Hill]
      #1430470 - 07/21/12 04:39 PM (86.132.36.69)

Quote:

Eric_Hill said:
For the first time people (and yes everybody at some point was a first time person) the welcome attitude and friendlyness of the CO people in general is what makes them want to continue.

Well said! My first real nude experience was a holiday at a nude resort, and the other guests were great - friendly, non-judgemental, genuine, welcoming. It's what makes people want to keep on going to nude resorts. We've met lots of people at nude resorts who can't believe how friendly everyone is; I remember chatting to one guy a couple of years ago who said "This place is awesome. We've been to 4* and 5* hotels all over the world, and never got to know anyone. We've been here 2 days and we're on first name terms with almost everyone!"

Eric_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Re: Nude Etiquette [Re: tiger79]
      #1430494 - 07/21/12 06:06 PM (72.60.203.190)

Quote:

My first real nude experience was a holiday at a nude resort, and the other guests were great - friendly, non-judgemental, genuine, welcoming. It's what makes people want to keep on going to nude resorts

Yes that is what it is about.

If WE do not help the new people and try to be the best that WE can be then, everything else is nonsense. Judgemental -- is what the CO people hate AND that is exactly what some are saying. I disagree with that, period!

If you want to be judgemental, fine, but do NOT say you are not part of the same problem or issues that you hate so much. You have to make an example and that is friendlyness and open arms to those that want to experience it for the first time, second time or whatever...

--------------------
Eric Hill
TTOL Shop

MORWAVES
Traveler

Loc: Near Chattanooga, Tn.
      #1430528 - 07/21/12 09:20 PM (184.174.133.105)

July of 2011 I was what it seems to me, according to alot of people here, that I was a gawker because I was on a cruise and strolled down the beach at Club O. Well I stayed there this year in July and have already booked for next year also. So if one is a gawker are they always a gawker or was I ever a gawker? People have to see what something is before they try it. And I too have never met any nicer people than what I have met there, even when I was there as a cruiser.

Biturbo
Traveler

Loc: Royersford, PA (30m NW of Phil...
Re: Nude Etiquette [Re: MORWAVES]
      #1430572 - 07/22/12 08:31 AM (208.91.195.229)

Morwaves, you stated it perfectly. Many current Club O guests first experienced it on a cruise. And sometimes there is a fine line between gawking and just observing, but it's not too hard to tell when that line is crossed. For instance, a couple of local guys that usually show up late in the afternoon. But, as guests at the club, we should try to be at least smile at the cruisers if eye contact is made. Hopefully one day they'll do as you did, and enjoy this wonderful resort as we do.

--------------------
"It's a magic kind of medicine, that no doctor could prescribe." JB

GaKaye
Traveler

Loc: Peaceful Eastern North Carolin...
Re: Nude Etiquette [Re: Biturbo]
      #1430590 - 07/22/12 10:26 AM (75.201.32.98)

I think it's important to note that not everyone who strolls the beach in some state of dress is a gawker. We don't stay on the beach at Club O because we prefer the comfort of the cushioned chairs and the amenities at other beach bars, but when we walk on the Club O portion of the beach, we generally are nude. However, one year my husband was having a terrible sun allergy and had to be fully clothed on the beach. Maybe we should have stayed north of the rocks that year, I don't know. We certainly weren't gawkers then any more than we are now, but I guess some thought that.

Biturbo
Traveler

Loc: Royersford, PA (30m NW of Phil...
Re: Nude Etiquette [Re: GaKaye]
      #1430622 - 07/22/12 03:03 PM (208.91.195.229)

Cushioned chairs at Club O would be most welcomed. I fully believe in the concept of clothing optional. And we do not think of every clothed person as a gawker.

--------------------
"It's a magic kind of medicine, that no doctor could prescribe." JB

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Re: Nude Etiquette [Re: Biturbo]
      #1430638 - 07/22/12 04:18 PM (72.60.203.190)

Absolutely. Clothing OPTIONAL... Your choice... I really do not agree with those who obsess about others wearing clothes or not. I wear whatever I like, you wear whatever you like. Everyone is comfortable with what they are wearing.. To me, the folks that obsess over others wearing clothes are at least as messed up as those who have a hizzy fit over people being naked.

WayneH
Traveler

Loc: Londonderry, N.H.
      #1430641 - 07/22/12 04:34 PM (75.68.41.204)

Carol,

Absolutely the expression is 'Clothing Optional'. When Marge and I were down there in April she thought nothing of being on the beach with her mastectomy. Everyone she met was welcoming, both the regulars, (you and they know who they/you are) and new folks as well. However, there were days when she had to cover up. Cancer can be only so forgiving. So, does this mean that she was a gawker because she had to cover up? Definitely not! You have to do what is comfortable for you. Again, 'Clothing Optional'. I've seen the times when I have had too much sun on my shoulders that I have had to wear a tee shirt for a day or two. Am I a gawker? No hissy fits here, we're in your corner on this one.

Wayne <><

Bill_SModerator

Loc: Southern Maryland suburbs of D...
Re: Nude Etiquette [Re: WayneH]
      #1430649 - 07/22/12 05:42 PM (69.250.111.143)

Clothing Optional is why we love Club Orient and our home C/O resort, Avalon in West Virginia!

Although we live just 30 minutes south of a nice nudist venue near Annapolis, we chose to become members at Avalon 11 years ago and drive 3 hours each way to that wonderful, welcoming resort twice a month - rather than ever have to deal with the "nude-always-everywhere" "enforcers" reportedly then running rampant at the closer-in venue back when we made our decision in 2001.

We have never regretted our choice.

--------------------
Bill

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Re: Nude Etiquette [Re: Bill_S]
      #1430678 - 07/22/12 07:19 PM (72.60.203.190)

Bill--agreed, Avalon is a wonderful place!!!

Unregistered

#1430686 - 07/22/12 08:00 PM (184.174.133.105)

Well put Carol!

astropilot
Traveler

Loc: Decatur Illinois
      #1430743 - 07/23/12 07:11 AM (74.112.239.55)

Quote:

Carol_Hill said:
Absolutely. Clothing OPTIONAL... Your choice... I really do not agree with those who obsess about others wearing clothes or not. I wear whatever I like, you wear whatever you like. Everyone is comfortable with what they are wearing.. To me, the folks that obsess over others wearing clothes are at least as messed up as those who have a hizzy fit over people being naked.

Well, said!!! What one wears, or not on a clothing optional beach is their business. If they choose to be clothed or nude, or somewhere in between is fine with me. We first experienced the beach at Club Orient while visiting on a cruise ship.

Were we a little bit apprehensive, you bet we were. did we feel a bit intimidated, walking the beach -- you bet we did. Did we feel welcomed? Not all that much. Are we glad we experienced it? Oh, you bet.

We Have visited the Island six times now by cruise ship. Where do we spend the day? At the beach at Club O.

This is our also our third land vacation on SXM, and 99% of our time is spent at the Club O beach.

Don't be so quick, to chastise the folks who are clothed, they may be converts tomorrow. Now, those who are taking photographs, or video... Give them the presumption of innocence, and gently explain to them that that is inappropriate. If they insist, then notify security, and let them handle it.

--------------------
Dave & Diana

Unregistered

Re: Nude Etiquette [Re: astropilot]
      #1430791 - 07/23/12 12:14 PM (107.9.2.207)

agrre with all but the phoyo-innocence-----they have no right --- and i will make them not like taking our photo

Soontobenude
Traveler

Loc: Sunny Florida
      #1431639 - 07/27/12 06:50 AM (90.63.189.237)

I have 2 issues. first of all I dont understand why someone would buy a chair and unbrella at club O and choose to remain clothed. They are the most expensive chairs, and the bar is the most expensive on all of Orient Beach. Second, I don't have a problem with people looking as they walk down the beach, we have all done that, and thats how we ended up there, But do you have to be so obvious and stare? Thats what I don't get. Then the ones with thier cell phones and cameras attached to thier hip or hanging around thier neck, Jees, get a life. OK 3 issues.....

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Re: Nude Etiquette [Re: Soontobenude]
      #1431679 - 07/27/12 09:52 AM (71.101.41.196)

We have often had friends that wanted to spend the day on the beach with us, so they rented chairs at Club O and had bathing suits or were topless. Club O people are the friendliest in the world and (most of them) don't care what you wear or don't wear. That's what clothing optional is about. It's about the PEOPLE, not about what they are wearing. You don't get the same vibe anywhere else down the beach. And the Club O portion of the beach is usually the best section, with less seaweed, wider, and no beach bar every ten feet. As far as the chairs being the most expensive, yeah, for sure the chairs are much better down the beach. As far as the bar being the most expensive, well, no not really, considering some places won't let you bring your own drinks or food and especially when you figure in happy hour, with the incomparable Willie! To me, I ignore the walkers/gawkers/whoever. If they have cameras and they bother you, talk to security and they will take care of it. Otherwise, ignore them, don't get yourself in a lather.

Toronto
Traveler

Loc: Canada
      #1435021 - 08/13/12 04:38 PM (204.101.12.138)

my 2 cents ...
IMHO it is the people there taking pics without approval. Whether they are clothed or not should not be the issue just the invasion of privacy.

Unregistered

Re: Nude Etiquette [Re: Toronto]
      #1435037 - 08/13/12 06:04 PM (107.9.2.207)

sometimes security not quite on the ball andthey've slipped by security and now it is you and them or you have to run all the way to security to deal with it.

many are nonchalantly walking with the camera around the neck or the phone in their hand at their sides.

Security needs to tell them to put camera inside their shirt on in their pocket. today's camera phones are hi res.

go to youtube --- there is exactly this , a camera at a lopsided angle strolling down and then turning around strolling back. every so often the person does a 180 to get a double take on the charis or passersby.

it will get worse over time

security needs to step up their warnings

gawk with your eyeballs not your machines

bugambilias
Traveler

Loc: Playa del Carmen, MX
      #1435055 - 08/13/12 07:15 PM (70.15.123.163)

From the thread Nude Beach north side of Cozumel :
...Also, the bartender I knew as Julio had a special photo album behind the bar that he MIGHT share for a tip...

Not only is this voyeurism but professional voyeurism at that. How would you like some beer jockey showing your nude photos for tips?

--------------------
check out my blog

SuburbanDharma
Traveler

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Re: Nude Etiquette [Re: bugambilias]
      #1435453 - 08/15/12 12:26 PM (75.181.165.239)

Is a "nude beach" designation different than "clothing optional"?

I think it would be nice if people who are comfortable being nude would understand that being in a swimsuit is, for some people, as nude as they're comfortable with. Maybe by coming to a "nude" beach, they feel that they're among a less judgmental crowd, and people who can be nude around them would be easier to be around than other clothed people.

Not everyone can visit a clothing optional beach once and decide that they're immediately ready to shed their clothes. "Swimsuit" itself is a scary enough proposition for some; i'd suggest to the OP that a little empathy would go a long way.

--------------------
If I can't be a good example, I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Re: Nude Etiquette [Re: SuburbanDharma]
      #1435463 - 08/15/12 12:57 PM (71.101.41.196)

Dharma--If one is going to be technical, yes, you are supposed to be nude on a 'nude beach', versus a 'clothing optional' beach. To me, I find Club Orient in St. Martin--a clothing optional beach--to be the proper mix. I can wear a suit. Or not. You can wear a suit. Or not. I'm perfectly fine with that. And if people walk by who have clothes on, I could care less, so long as they are not right up in my face--or laughing and pointing.

SuburbanDharma
Traveler

Loc: Charlotte, NC
      #1435473 - 08/15/12 01:49 PM (75.181.165.239)

Ok, that makes sense, thanks.

As the owner of 2 pit bulls, every time I walk out the door with my dogs, we are ambassadors of the breed- everything we do is judged- not the way we'd prefer it to be, but that's just the way life is. As nude beach bathers, I'd think that setting a good example for the "gawkers" by making nakedness as normal as anything else is the best way to be an ambassador to foster understanding & end ignorance. Maybe not ideal, but just the way life is.

Acceptance & understanding isn't always a two-way street, but it sure is easier to practice it than not.

--------------------
If I can't be a good example, I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Re: Nude Etiquette [Re: SuburbanDharma]
      #1435480 - 08/15/12 02:22 PM (71.101.41.196)

It is normal, it's natural, it's truly not a big deal to me, one way or another. People that DEMAND that everyone be nude to me are more hung up than people who wear bathing suits all the time.

Toronto
Traveler

Loc: Canada
      #1435637 - 08/16/12 10:16 AM (204.101.12.13)

Exactly Carol!!!

bugambilias
Traveler

Loc: Playa del Carmen, MX
Re: Nude Etiquette [Re: Toronto]
      #1435640 - 08/16/12 10:34 AM (70.15.123.163)

Thanks Carol!!!

--------------------
check out my blog

arehouse
Traveler

Loc: Long Island, N.Y.
      #1435830 - 08/17/12 08:00 AM (68.194.151.38)

Quote:

Carol_Hill said:
It is normal, it's natural, it's truly not a big deal to me, one way or another. People that DEMAND that everyone be nude to me are more hung up than people who wear bathing suits all the time.

Well put Carol!

Unregistered

#1435989 - 08/18/12 07:46 AM (68.172.208.190)

unfortunately if you choose to go to a public beach you are subject to gawkers & photos/video
most of us start out being curios so i understand a couple being curious & shy initially
my wife enjoys being viewed but the gawker that camps out has got to go

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 8006

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline