Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> Nude Resorts, Beaches and Cruises

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
beachboy13

Nude beach first timers...
      #1440450 - 09/11/12 02:35 PM (24.189.161.56)

Hello all
My lovely girlfriend and I will be going to St Martin for the first time. Can anyone help me out with some advice for our first time going Au natural? We are both 28 years old and like our privacy. We will be staying in a villa which has a pool but will like to enjoy some time on the beaches. My girlfriend will certaily be shy if many other people are around so I'm hoping to ease into it. I on the other hand don't mind. Does anyone have any advice as to where to go or similar experiences that will make her feel more comfortable?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JimCandD
Traveler

Re: Nude beach first timers... [Re: beachboy13]
      #1440455 - 09/11/12 03:24 PM (74.221.72.246)

Actually if there are few people around in the buff, it tends to make you stick out more. We went to the south end of Orient Beach our first time and my wife said she would stay on the chair (she didn't). Your girlfriend may want to ease into it by keeping the bottoms and with everyone around nude she would feel out of place. It was easier than we thought and we are about the most conservative people you would meet.

pault21093
Traveler

Loc: Towson, Maryland
Re: Nude beach first timers... [Re: JimCandD]
      #1440465 - 09/11/12 03:44 PM (173.69.161.246)

Where is the villa that you are staying in?

I suggest that you discuss this with your girlfriend. Is her only concern about people looking at her or does the thought of being "surrounded by naked people" freak her out?

Anyway, the beach at Cupecoy may be more what you are looking for.

beachboy13

Re: Nude beach first timers... [Re: pault21093]
      #1440470 - 09/11/12 03:52 PM (68.196.176.144)

The villa is in Terre Basse. I think the issue is that she is just very conservative and its just very new. She probably also thinks that we will be the youngest ones too.

pault21093
Traveler

Loc: Towson, Maryland
      #1440474 - 09/11/12 04:09 PM (173.69.161.246)

You may well be the youngest ones.

Since you are over in Terre Bassse it is easier to go to Cupecoy. Please visit Orient and as many beaches as you can. It can take 15+ minutes to get through Marigot. The traffic is a pain in the butt.

Also, check out Plum and Baie Rouge. Walk down beach away from the entry point on either beach and you will usually find a few nude people. There is a beach bar at Baie Rouge. Nothing at Plum. No real restrooms at either. Cupecoy has a guy named Dany that has great rum punches and BBQ.

bugambilias
Traveler

Loc: Playa del Carmen, MX
Re: Nude beach first timers... [Re: pault21093]
      #1440475 - 09/11/12 04:28 PM (70.15.123.163)

http://www.aanr.com/from-a-womans-perspective

--------------------
check out my blog

Unregistered

#1440478 - 09/11/12 04:36 PM (71.181.185.94)

I would go to cupocoy beach, Orient had many visitors. If you do not want to be nude around others, you need to find a way to do this without gaukers, and there are many,

Toronto
Traveler

Loc: Canada
Re: Nude beach first timers... [Re: bugambilias]
      #1440479 - 09/11/12 04:39 PM (204.101.12.13)

Happy Bay may also be an alternative, less people, a little more private. Try to the left side as you face the water. the other end has boats and Seadoos dropping by.

There is a guy (Danny) that has a hut serving some food and drinks. You might also get a lounge from him. No facilities though. Park at Friars Bay (there are facilities there and a nice restaurant)and walk over the hill, follow the path to Happy Bay.

Biturbo
Traveler

Loc: Royersford, PA (30m NW of Phil...
      #1440497 - 09/11/12 06:03 PM (108.52.8.68)

I would agree with the first response. One person in a group of ten is more noticable than one person in a group of several hundred. I would suggest you go to the beach at Club Orient's widest spot and take chairs in the back. The beach is clothing optional, not strictly nude. She can dress (or undress) to her comfort level, and nobody will think anything of it. And as far as being the youngest, the club is family friendly, and it isn't unusual to see couples, younger than 28, with children. You may or may not be younger than the average but please don't get hung up on the age thing. Just as on a textiled beach, you will find a cross section of all ages, sizes, and shapes. And all are accepted. Relax and enjoy.

--------------------
"It's a magic kind of medicine, that no doctor could prescribe." JB

Unregistered

Re: Nude beach first timers... [Re: Anonymous]
      #1440499 - 09/11/12 06:24 PM (72.8.38.2)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
I would go to cupocoy beach, Orient had many visitors. If you do not want to be nude around others, you need to find a way to do this without gaukers, and there are many,

Unless she is self concious about being in front of the villas on Cupecoy Beach.

Unregistered

Re: Nude beach first timers... [Re: Biturbo]
      #1440500 - 09/11/12 06:28 PM (75.142.191.162)

Agree with Biturbo. Additionally, eat lunch at papagayo and make a pitstop on the chairs. My guess you'll stay longer and actually rent the chairs (cheap). You'll soon find it is more normal without the suit than with and is one of the greatest places on earth.

Unregistered

#1440503 - 09/11/12 07:19 PM (68.9.62.238)

My wife and I are in our early 30's and two years ago we could have written the same post. We have had a great time at any nude beach but especially enjoy Happy Bay and Pinel (backside). Both beaches kind of remote and you don't have to be right on top of other people. We've done Orient but prefer a day on a secluded beach playing football, frisbee or paddle ball. We are headed down this week and should be on the beach by Friday.

KayMike
Traveler

Loc: Tennessee
      #1440504 - 09/11/12 07:22 PM (74.42.205.97)

One idea is that she wear her swimsuit into the ocean & remove it in the water to see how wonderful the ocean feels on her. I think too once she sees all the various body sizes & shapes at ClubO, she will feel more comfortable!!

--------------------
SXM Our favorite Carib island destination!

Unregistered

#1440516 - 09/11/12 09:19 PM (67.175.34.119)

Hi Beachboy, I certainly understand your girlfriend's feelings. I was in my early 30's w/ young children during our 1st trip to SXM and felt the same way. When will you be in SXM? Nancy

joyfully
Traveler

Loc: Nebraska
      #1440527 - 09/11/12 10:36 PM (173.190.177.229)

First off, congratulations! You picked a great island, and you are going to have as GREAT time!

Maybe you two will decide it's easy to go nude, maybe you won't - it'll be fine either way - no worries!

You might try going to Orient and walking the beach, to decide where to get chairs. Maybe you'll decide some beach bar like Kakao is good for you, or maybe you'll decide YOU want to go nude, and so you'll get chairs on Club O. You can take your suit off, and she can do what feels comfortable, and no one will pay any attention either way.

If you get chairs at one of the other beach bars, you can still walk down to the Club O beach, strip off there for the walk, or not. You might want to stop and get a drink at the Perch, particularly during happy hour. Standing in line, chances are you'll get to talking with someone in line. They won't care whether you have suits on or not. After all, most everyone there started out wearing suits too - they've been there.

We found it easier to strip down once we realized we'd be two among three hundred - who will look and who will care?

Others want more privacy (and to avoid the occasional gawker), and people have given you recommendations for less-populated beaches. The trade-off is, as others have pointed out, you may not be two among so many.

You definitely will be younger than most on the Club O beach, but that just means you have had the good sense to learn to enjoy life earlier than most of us did! When we were there in Feb, there were several 20-something groups staying at Club O. They stuck to themselves a little more than some (we tried to get them to play volleyball) but they also all seemed to have a good time.

However it works out, enjoy the time there! You'll have fun!

bugambilias
Traveler

Loc: Playa del Carmen, MX
Re: Nude beach first timers... [Re: joyfully]
      #1440549 - 09/12/12 07:26 AM (70.15.123.163)

Have you considered visiting a local club before your trip? That might "break the ice."

--------------------
check out my blog

beachboy13

#1440551 - 09/12/12 07:31 AM (24.189.161.56)

I just looked up those beaches and they look very nice. They seem to be alittle more secluded and possibly up our alley. You guys seem right around our age so it sounds like you can relate. How come you prefer Happy bay and Pinel over Orient?

AnnandSteve
Traveler

Loc: Ewing, NJ
      #1440608 - 09/12/12 11:36 AM (75.99.122.210)

Go to Cupecoy - everyone is friendly, there are fewer people than at Orient and no one cares whether you are completely or only partly au naturel.

--------------------

Ann & Steve

Unregistered

#1440624 - 09/12/12 12:52 PM (74.94.234.178)

Two thoughts come to mind on this.

First, when cruise ships are in port you get a noticeable stream of textiled beach walkers in front of Club O. Usually they don't bother me, but on 2 occasions they did. One should have had a camera thrown into the sea by me when security was not around and the other person was doing military style inspection of the naked troops. I would say best to avoid Club O beach on cruise ship in port days. Both of these experiences are atypical.

Happy Bay seems almost ideal for what you are trying to accomplish. The other posters are spot on about what to expect. Park at Friars Beach walk to the far side and follow the trail to Happy Bay. You might have to walk by a gate, but keep going. Happy Bay is one hidden secret of the island.

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
      #1440631 - 09/12/12 01:16 PM (71.101.41.196)

It really depends on the person, whether the presence of more naked people makes them more comfortable or not. It was a long time ago now, but our first nude experience was at Club O and the fact that there were so MANY people there, all naked, made it seem more comfortable to me. Everyone is different.

Unregistered

#1440638 - 09/12/12 01:42 PM (64.179.54.114)

My wife and i prefer less people. We haven't done Petite but we are hoing to try that out this trip.

Just our personal preference and sometimes we do feel more comfortable in the water with like minded couples such as Orient Beach. Probably being younger and our mood has a lot to do with which beach we go to. We've even done st barts and the trip around the island with paul and peggy... we had a blast and would do them in the future and probably would strongly consider another trip soon if other young people were more open to doing something like this.

We love the island and the people who live here and visit.

Unregistered

#1440811 - 09/13/12 12:58 PM (67.175.34.119)

Our favorite beaches are Cupecoy and Orient. However, our last trip (summer 2011) there were maybe a dozen people on the beach 2 of us topless and one nakie (my hubby). I felt a little uncomfortable to go totally nakie. I think the more people at Cupecoy you'll find a better mix. Orient is a great icebreaker and they don't allow cameras. But as we all know the daytripper sometimes try, check the cruise ship schedule. Since you're staying in a villa in Terres Basses you will have a lot of privacy to ease into c/o. We did Pinel on our first trip and hiked to the other side where we were the only ones there (wear shoes for the hike). On our 2nd trip we did Tiko-Tiko which was a blast. We're finally down to double digits for our next trip.

jmbcomms
Traveler

Loc: New England (home), St. Maarte...
Re: Nude beach first timers... [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1440884 - 09/13/12 08:34 PM (98.229.241.121)

I have an article on my SXM site called "Trying Naturism for the first time on Orient Beach" from a male perspective.

Here it is.

--------------------
Jeff Berger
Visiting SXM Since 1978

beachbabe
Traveler

Loc: So cal.
Re: Nude beach first timers... [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1440922 - 09/14/12 12:55 AM (173.55.101.120)

Beachboy-
Happy Bay is my favorite beach in the world..(so far)
I captured a fabulous photograph one year and it graces my business card to this day.
Happy Bay- perfect, breathtaking, serene, romantic..Happy

Bill_SModerator

Loc: Southern Maryland suburbs of D...
Re: Nude beach first timers... [Re: beachbabe]
      #1440964 - 09/14/12 10:07 AM (69.250.111.143)

Our first time was on the beach at Club Orient when our ship stopped at SXM. We had done the America's Cup 12 Meter regatta early in the morning and shopped Front Street in Phillipsburg for a couple rings for her, then caught a cab that dropped us off at the edge of Club Orient. We went to the Perch and got a couple of drinks and the bartender told us we could pick any pair of unoccupied chairs with no towels (or "wristbands" now) on them and the beach boy would be around to collect our $15 ($20 now) and the chairs and an umbrella would be ours for the rest of the day.

We set up in the middle of the beach and soon realized we were among the very few wearing swim suits. I glanced over at Linda and she was topless...I looked around again and then she was standing there nude saying "that water looks wonderful, you coming?"

Off came my suit and hand in hand we went running into the water like little kids. Since then (1998) we have been back to stay at Club Orient at least one week a year, and are now members at Avalon Resort in eastern WV.

We highly recommend setting up in the middle of Club Orient's beach for your first time.

--------------------
Bill

ChunkyDunkin
Traveler

Loc: Great PacNW
Re: Nude beach first timers... [Re: Bill_S]
      #1440970 - 09/14/12 10:38 AM (204.195.13.117)

One never knows till trying.
Last fall while we were out in the water a younger (mid 20's?) couple walked south past the Perch, suits on, looking kind of sheepish. Bout half an hour they were headed back splashing (well she was) in the water. He was wading along in the all together still looking kind of shy while she, in the altogether now, was jumping and splashing for joy and shouting "we'll be back". Didn't see them the following days so suspect they were off a cruise ship. Hope they did make it back.
After the fist experience it's most likely that all your future travel plans will change.

daveb7
Traveler

Re: Nude beach first timers... [Re: ChunkyDunkin]
      #1441088 - 09/15/12 12:52 AM (75.68.8.189)

My wife and I had been to only remote Caribbean beaches to not have to sit around in a wet bathing suit till 2007 when we went to Saint Martin for our wedding anniversary. We spent half a day at Coco Beach then walked down to just before Papagayo and picked out two orange chairs under a yellow umbrella. My wife said "what the hell?!" and took off her suit. We have been going back every year since and staying at Club Orient. Now twice a year. Club Orient is the best place EVER to have to not sit around on a Carribean beach in a wet bathing suit.
Take her to Club Orient beach. That beach, the beach bars and the people we have met on that beach are the BEST!

Joecool
Traveler

#1441320 - 09/16/12 02:46 PM (68.193.126.83)

As first timers, I would try Cupecoy. You also may consider the west end of Baie Rouge as nudists who do frequent that area, are much more spread out. Your girlfriend may prefer to start there. Rouge is very low key and IMHO a nice little secret beach that a select few naturists try. Enjoy your trip.

tckj
Traveler

Re: Nude beach first timers... [Re: Joecool]
      #1441926 - 09/19/12 10:15 PM (24.13.34.112)

My first time was to Cupecoy. My wife and I were there and we were the only ones with suits on. It just seemed ridiculous to me, so off came the suit and it was great. I walked and swam and never looked back. My wife, on the other hand, who has been a nude model and has been nude in a real movie, basically asked me what the hell I was doing. In four years in SXM, she has never gone nude in public. You can't force 'em, you just have to let it flow. Happy Bay is a great spot --- probably the best --- to start, but if she won't drop the top or bottoms, it's better just to accept and go with the flow. I still go nude every time we go --- and she just rolls her eyes.

Unregistered

Re: Nude beach first timers... [Re: tckj]
      #1442070 - 09/20/12 04:36 PM (67.191.88.37)

My first time was at Cupacoy also. Wife and I were both wearing suits and I noticed that I was the only male on the beach wearing a suit. Mentioned this to my wife and she said if you want to take off your suit do it. A short time later I told her she was the only female on the beach wearing a top. Told her she should give it a try. She is very shy and had never been topless in public and no man other than her doctor and me had ever seen her topless. She said if you really want me to do it and I said yes. The top came off for the first time. She has been topless on sxm beaches ever since that day. Still trying to get her to go nude but no luck yet.

Unregistered

#1442158 - 09/21/12 06:05 AM (173.77.155.173)

We recommend the far side of pinel for a first timer , or club o if you don't mind some people. At club o you can swim out to the platforms and then take it off. Cupecoy has Dany and his great meals and rum punch but also voyeurs. You won't have to worry at pineal or club o

Toronto
Traveler

Loc: Canada
Re: Nude beach first timers... [Re: tckj]
      #1442282 - 09/21/12 04:41 PM (204.101.12.13)

Yup pretty much the same here. you can't force them, just go with the flow and take advantage of whatever you can get!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 7207

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline