Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> Nude Resorts, Beaches and Cruises

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
banude
Traveler

Nude resort appropriate clothing
      #1450434 - 10/26/12 08:04 PM (173.164.246.58)

(figured I'd make this it's own thread and not tack it on to the end of the Caribbean suggestion thread)

OK, so I just booked a week at N Resort for our first foray into international nudity and our first visit to a nude beach. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Next, my wife and I are not partyers and I'm CERTAINLY not a disco-er but I'd like to buy her some appropriate attire for the evenings and meals. Something that I can enjoy too ;)

Any suggestions as to where I can find nice resort-type clothing that are enough to be called coverups but not a house frock? In my minds eye I see some tasteful sheer clothing, but have no idea where to start to look. (also, am I right in the assumption that something sexy but not slutty is appropriate for meals?....we've never done this sitting for meals at a nude resort part before)

Any suggestions as to where to find this style of clothing?
Do men just wear shorts and a shirt or...?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Reggae_RobModerator

Loc: West Virginia
Re: Nude resort appropriate clothing [Re: banude]
      #1450449 - 10/26/12 09:01 PM (74.38.203.240)

From my visit, I found that many women dressed up, but most men wore shorts ands tees. I found this tacky. I wore a kilt.

--------------------
Irie,
Reggae Rob

LoveLifeover50
Traveler

Loc: New Jersey
Re: Nude resort appropriate clothing [Re: Reggae_Rob]
      #1450553 - 10/27/12 01:20 PM (173.70.215.14)

My recommendation would be:

http://www.underthesunonline.net/

Under the Sun is a clothing store in Land O'Lakes Florida near Caliente and Paradise Lakes. Every time I have visited Caliente - i haven't been there in the last 3 years - I went to Under the Sun and always bought something great for "Nudist resort wear."

--------------------
LoveLifeOver50

Unregistered

Re: Nude resort appropriate clothing [Re: LoveLifeover50]
      #1450559 - 10/27/12 01:52 PM (68.194.77.6)

When I was at N, I wore a towel/bathing suit to the pool grill for Breakfast/Lunch and Docker shorts with a polo shirt for dinner. Seemed to fit right in.

Wcstflyer
Traveler

Loc: California/Florida
      #1450585 - 10/27/12 03:38 PM (108.33.44.110)

Quote:

LoveLifeover50 said:

http://www.underthesunonline.net/

Under the Sun is a clothing store in Land O'Lakes Florida near Caliente and Paradise Lakes. Every time I have visited Caliente - i haven't been there in the last 3 years - I went to Under the Sun and always bought something great for "Nudist resort wear."

They are still there just south of Paradise Lakes on the Dale Mabry. Women seem to love to get lost in that store.

For men the ubiquitous Hawaiian shirt, shorts and shoes are always popular.

kenfla
Traveler

Loc: Florida
      #1450596 - 10/27/12 05:05 PM (65.9.228.196)

I suggest becoming familiar with the Pareo! Men and women find them adaptable to those occasions at a nude or clothing optional locale when a cover is expected or wanted for personal reasons. Absolutely versatile, easy to carry, fun to arrange the coverage - from shift to shoulder to sarong or kilty.
They probably have them in the N gift shop, or at the place next door.
Make the purchase there and have a great souvenir.

banude
Traveler

#1450602 - 10/27/12 05:33 PM (173.164.246.58)

Quote:

LoveLifeover50 said:

[url=http://www.underthesunonline.net/]http://www.underthesunonline.n

Thanks for the link, but the selection there is terribly underwhelming. I think there's a total of about 15 items on that whole site. Unfortunately we're nowhere near Florida so we can't get to the store.

Unregistered

Re: Nude resort appropriate clothing [Re: kenfla]
      #1450608 - 10/27/12 06:03 PM (107.9.16.124)

I have to confess we borrowed some red and blue airline blankets on the way down. Washed em at Club O and they were great, soft, easy to wrap coverups.

banude
Traveler

Re: Nude resort appropriate clothing [Re: Anonymous]
      #1450612 - 10/27/12 06:23 PM (173.164.246.58)

you must have flown first class to have had access to blankets!

LoveLifeover50
Traveler

Loc: New Jersey
      #1450613 - 10/27/12 06:23 PM (173.70.215.14)

The store is really great. Women do love shopping there. I am not a shopper and I always buy things there. I am surprised that the website is so disappointing but I agree it is.

--------------------
LoveLifeOver50

Unregistered

#1450614 - 10/27/12 06:25 PM (107.9.16.124)

lucky coach --- delta -- they were in plastic bags for what that's worth. they were soft warm, lightweight and the price was right if not a tad wrong.

Kevin_B
Traveler

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
      #1450650 - 10/27/12 08:58 PM (50.100.64.89)

Congratulations on booking at "N" for your first foray into international nudity. It is the same as domestic nudity, except you may have to speak the Jamaican patois! You may want to read the reports for "N" on this forum and on Trip Advisor. You'll get a better feel for the ambience of the place. "N" is a nudist resort that caters more to the true naturist than to the "fashionistas". That is not to say that some people do not dress up for dinner. Just that over the past 2 years, we have not seen too many slinky slutty outfits. Sexy, yes, but not slutty!.

I have seen a slight decrease in the amount of "coverup" needed in the restaurants. Last year, for example, at breakfast which was served in the "Main" dining room, i would walk in nude but carrying a pareo to put down as a "bum-towel", and also in case of "emergencies". My wife and her friend would go topless. Same at lunch, except I would carry my towel instead of a pareo, and the ladies would have their pareo bottoms. At dinner, the ladies would have some "slinky" summer dress on, while I would be in my "dress pareo". We saw more nudity in the dining room on the last trip than before. The Trip Advisor reports seems to bear that out.

It would appear that "N" and their G.M. have unofficially relaxed their "dress code" somewhat, in as much as it is after all a Nude resort. To some extent, what you choose to wear depends on your comfort level. We have some friends who are confirmed naturists and went for all meals in the nude in the presence of the G.M. The resort is not a party place, and if you were expecting some glitzy disco event at a high-end clothing optional resort, you might be in for a slight disappointment. It is rather low key, and the clothing styles (or lack thereof) reflect that.

Whatever you wear (or don't wear!), enjoy, relax, and above all, have fun. You'll keep coming back, as we are in March!

--------------------
Kevin

LadyH
Traveler

Loc: NE Florida
Re: Nude resort appropriate clothing [Re: Kevin_B]
      #1450723 - 10/28/12 09:36 AM (72.21.225.66)

Try www.venus.com They have some nice cover-ups.

Unregistered

Re: Nude resort appropriate clothing [Re: LadyH]
      #1450833 - 10/28/12 03:24 PM (76.10.175.134)

If you are true naturists, you will have no need of any textiles. Should you feel inclined to wear anything, the tone is not lowered if it is a true cover up. Once the slinky, tease, skanky duds are in evidence, the bar gets somewhat lowered rather than raised.

Kevin_B
Traveler

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
      #1450844 - 10/28/12 03:57 PM (50.100.64.89)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
If you are true naturists, you will have no need of any textiles. Should you feel inclined to wear anything, the tone is not lowered if it is a true cover up. Once the slinky, tease, skanky duds are in evidence, the bar gets somewhat lowered rather than raised.

AMEN and +1 to Unregistered!

--------------------
Kevin

sand
Traveler

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Re: Nude resort appropriate clothing [Re: Kevin_B]
      #1451135 - 10/29/12 04:58 PM (76.4.212.76)

Quote:

Kevin_B said:
Quote:

Anonymous said:

AMEN and +1 to Unregistered!

Ditto. My wife and I never understood the need to dress provocatively at a naturist resort or club event.

Unregistered

#1452038 - 11/01/12 06:04 PM (208.91.195.229)

Quote:

Anonymous said:

Not quite: you should have a towel to sit on. At Club O my wife is a bit more formal at dinner than at lunch: she takes a larger towel to dinner.

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
      #1452042 - 11/01/12 06:24 PM (68.246.46.198)

Actually, it's my experience that many or most ladies wear a pareo on the bottom for dinner. I personally find it easier and more elegant than carrying a towel.

bugambilias
Traveler

Loc: Playa del Carmen, MX
Re: Nude resort appropriate clothing [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1452055 - 11/01/12 07:28 PM (70.15.123.163)

Here is a link to a video from Pareo.com.

--------------------
check out my blog

rkitek
Traveler

Loc: Ohio
Re: Nude resort appropriate clothing [Re: bugambilias]
      #1452147 - 11/02/12 09:10 AM (173.241.48.49)

A good place to purchase these is from Turtle Island Imports. Google them. Huge selection and low prices. We have several of the "mini's".

--------------------
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Unregistered

#1452167 - 11/02/12 10:18 AM (69.72.61.63)

Quote:

Anonymous said:

Hmm..I find the naturist rule book perplexing. Most on this site emphatically state that they don't care if the people around them on a beach or other area are clothed, and take others to task that prefer areas where nudity is enforced, but now have rules or opinions on provacative clothing?

This is why I don't consider myself a naturist, but just a naked person.

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

#1452174 - 11/02/12 10:58 AM (71.101.41.196)

It depends on the level of 'skankiness', whether other people's dress offends me--or I even notice. But I would say that the perception among many naturists is that the skanky clothing is just an excuse for an exhibitionist to wear lingerie in public. Naturism really has nothing to do with sex, per se, despite what many people on the outside think and the wearing of skanky clothing at naturist venues just serves to perpetuate the myth that sex and naturism are linked.

Unregistered

Re: Nude resort appropriate clothing [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1452176 - 11/02/12 11:21 AM (69.72.61.63)

Quote:

Naturism really has nothing to do with sex, per se, despite what many people on the outside think

Yes, and you will never change that perception no matter how hard you try. We that prefer to be nude, know that the outside world is the outside world..So, why feed into it with your own stereotype of someone wearing sexy clothing? I'm sure most that wear this attire are simply just trying to have fun...I find it amusing that someone that is naked would find someone with a sexy cover up provactive.

bugambilias
Traveler

#1452190 - 11/02/12 12:28 PM (70.15.123.163)

Quote:

Anonymous said:

We that prefer to be nude.

You're speaking for a group? Which one?

Quote:

Anonymous said:

I find it amusing that someone that is naked would find someone with a sexy cover up provactive.

Assuming you mean provocative...
sexy adj. = Arousing or tending to arouse sexual desire or interest.

Edited by bugambilias (11/02/12 12:38 PM)

Durathror
Traveler

Loc: NC, USA
      #1452230 - 11/02/12 02:29 PM (66.194.221.210)

Wow, some of you make this really complicated. This is pretty much a three step process for me.

1) Go to beach
B. Take off clothes
iii - Enjoy

Notice how give a ___ what other people are or are not wearing is not on the list. Nor is care what other people think about what I am doing.

--------------------
There's a small fortune to be made in racing; just start with a large one.

banude
Traveler

Re: Nude resort appropriate clothing [Re: Durathror]
      #1452301 - 11/02/12 08:15 PM (173.164.246.58)

I'm the OP, and I've purposely stayed out of this thread since it seemed to turn from my original question and plea for some help into an indictment that anybody that puts on a thread of clothes at a nudist resort is some sort of trojan horse poser. Thank you to those that included links to places to shop for what we're looking for.

I'm not looking to buy "skanky" things for my wife to wear while dining at N, I thought I made that clear in the original post. I'm looking for something fun for her to wear to dinner, something that she isn't able wear (by itself) anywhere else and something that makes her feel good, something that she knows I spent time shopping for her to wear, something that I thought we would both enjoy.

I'm not trying to "skank" up my wife at a nudist resort. If that were the case, we wouldn't be going to N, we'd book at Hedo or many of the other places that cater to that clientele. My wife is more comfortable sitting at a restaurant with something on, even if that something is a sheer pareo, and I share that feeling with her. I merely wanted to know where I could find a selection of items actually styled with some structure, rather than just wrapping herself in a sheer rectangle every evening.

If an interest in wearing something fun and fashionable to a dinner meal at a nudist resort makes us not "true naturists", then so be it. I couldn't care less.

banude
Traveler

#1452312 - 11/02/12 09:57 PM (173.164.246.58)

Interesting post today on the Terra Cotta Inn blog by Tom Mulhall:

"As nudists all know, Terra Cotta inn is the best, most fun nude sunbathing resort in Southern California. And this coming weekend November 9th to 12th we're having a women's nudist fashion show.

I know, you're thinking, "Nudists wear clothes?" It's true. Many women enjoy wearing beach wraps and pareos when they walk around nudist resorts and nude beaches. Also many women don't want to eat naked. They want to wear something light and breezy and see through when dining or when the sun goes down.

Also a lot of nudist wear is easily wearable as sexy clothing to go out on the town when you go clubbing. You just put on a camisole or fancy bra underneath the nudist clothes.

Ann Nix is the clothing designer. Many of the nudist clothes she has designed and sewn are one of a kind. She has had shows at Glen Eden, Laguana del Sol, and DeAnza nudist parks. All Veteran's get 10% off her clothes that weekend."

I guess it's not just me and my wife....

Unregistered

#1452314 - 11/02/12 10:15 PM (98.228.146.146)

We first came SXM in 1997 and visited CO in 1998. Met the nicest people on the Tiko Tiko. They were kind enough to invite us to the Wine and Cheese Party and another couple invited us to dinner there. If I could remember correctly most women wore a pareo and most men were nude (with towel to sit on). No one cared what you wore. This past May we stayed there (CO) for the 1st time (4 days)and a week at the time share. Used Jim Ruos. (Both He and his wife are very nice people). Had dinner there a couple times. One evening I walked in nude. The wife a pareo. I felt out of place as most people were clothed or had some sort of undergarment on. People there made me feel uneasy. I thought that protocol had changed regarding textiles. Needless to say we did not change our attire and had a good time. We will be returning this Spring/Summer and I hope there is a different group of people at The Papagayo or we will be eating elsewhere. If I am going to put on clothes I may as well be eating in Grand Case.

bugambilias
Traveler

#1452327 - 11/02/12 11:32 PM (70.15.123.163)

Quote:

banude said:
Interesting post today on the Terra Cotta Inn blog by Tom Mulhall:

Also a lot of nudist wear is easily wearable as sexy clothing to go out on the town when you go clubbing. You just put on a camisole or fancy bra underneath the nudist clothes.

According to the mission statement from the AANR:

"We reject categorically any attempt to associate the good name and reputation of family social nudism, of any AANR-chartered club, or of the American Association for Nude Recreation, with the sexual exploitation of the human body. We further reject any use of the terms nudist, nudism, family social nudism, or American Association for Nude Recreation, as a cover for sexually-exploitive purposes, commercial or otherwise."

Nudist clothes! What's that about? Tom may have invented a new oxymoron!
There is a definite difference between nudism and exhibitionism. I am not saying one is superior or better than the other just that there is a difference. Wearing sexy clothing does not fit the definition of nudism.

--------------------
check out my blog

banude
Traveler

#1452337 - 11/03/12 01:11 AM (173.164.246.58)

Argh.

Edited by banude (11/03/12 01:11 AM)

Unregistered

#1452384 - 11/03/12 10:49 AM (69.72.61.196)

Quote:

If an interest in wearing something fun and fashionable to a dinner meal at a nudist resort makes us not "true naturists", then so be it. I couldn't care less.

Well said, I agree. Just to many rediculous rules to follow with these so called naturists...as I said, that's why I just consider myself a naked person and don't want to be confused with a naturist...I find the whole thing just plain silly...and as you stated, if you wanted Hedo you would have went to Hedo.

Unregistered

#1452388 - 11/03/12 11:02 AM (69.72.61.196)

Quote:

You're speaking for a group? Which one?

It's self explanatory. Maybe you just choose not to understand?

Why do we have to be "grouped" or labeled? It seems like a divide and conquer mentality.

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

#1452393 - 11/03/12 11:18 AM (68.246.204.36)

All right, this one continues to go round and round and ends up nowhere.. Done..

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 4353

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline