Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> Nude Resorts, Beaches and Cruises

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Textiles on "nude" beaches [Re: Anonymous]
      #1588319 - 05/09/14 09:20 AM (71.101.35.187)

I believe that Mr. Luftman has been at Orient more than 15 years. Although I am not 100% sure, I believe that he originally owned L'Hoste and the other hotels in that complex. L'hoste was there for Lenny, which was in 95. After Club O was blown away, along with most of the rest of the island, we stayed at L'Hoste in early 96. The real explosion of development happened maybe 15 years ago though, I agree.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Snorkeller
Traveler

Loc: Virginia
Re: Textiles on "nude" beaches [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1588332 - 05/09/14 10:00 AM (108.4.121.156)

Well, Elisa opened Bikini Beach in 1992 - and had the lease from Luftman for that, so he was involved at least since 1992 - which is 22 years ago. Reggie just has trouble believing how old he is!

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Re: Textiles on "nude" beaches [Re: Snorkeller]
      #1588335 - 05/09/14 10:08 AM (71.101.35.187)

OK, thanks. I thought 15 years was a bit short for Luftman's involvement at Orient.

Unregistered

#1588364 - 05/09/14 01:08 PM (76.188.17.58)

Quote:

Carol_Hill said:
I believe that Mr. Luftman has been at Orient more than 15 years. Although I am not 100% sure, I believe that he originally owned L'Hoste and the other hotels in that complex. L'hoste was there for Lenny, which was in 95. After Club O was blown away, along with most of the rest of the island, we stayed at L'Hoste in early 96. The real explosion of development happened maybe 15 years ago though, I agree.

Please give us your recollections of how Club O appeared 1-year after the storm. We visited Club O for the first time last fall and had a long conversation with one of the senior security men (forget his name) (he also transports you to/from room upon arrival/departure) and he described the post storm scene. He mentioned that the trees were all shipped in from Florida and replanted.

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

#1588366 - 05/09/14 01:17 PM (71.101.35.187)

We were there in February 1996, I believe. I actually can't remember when we were there next after that. I think we went again toward the end of 1996, but not sure. In February, I believe there was one building still there, which was immediately behind Papagayo. Otherwise, everything was gone. At that time, they were serving drinks out of a cooler, in front of that building. It was an eerie feeling, seeing nothing there at all..

Reginald Guy
Unregistered

Re: Textiles on "nude" beaches [Re: Snorkeller]
      #1588615 - 05/10/14 12:37 AM (24.152.136.167)

Quote:

Snorkeller said:
[....]Reggie just has trouble believing how old he is!

I'll drink to that! Most of what I know about Norbert Luftman came from a translation of an article in a French magazine published around 2001. At that time he was with his beautiful (much younger) 2nd wife, and he said that the Orient Bay project would be his last development project. The tone of the article seemed to indicate that his Orient Bay development had just gotten underway, and perhaps his "last development" referred to building of the "Village" where Alamanda is. I hadn't known that Sarah (actually her mother) wasn't the original owner of L'Hoste.

~Reggie~

CptCook
Traveler

Loc: SW Florida
      #1588654 - 05/10/14 10:37 AM (216.45.240.146)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
Quote:

CptCook said:
Norman Luftman or Norman Paperman? [...]

Sorry - it was Norbert Luftman who became a big developer of Orient Bay (along with a local partner) after Luftman's Air France connection back to Paris was delayed, and he (and his family) saw Orient Bay for the 1st time and it reminded him of St. Tropez in its development potential. That was about 15 years ago, about the time restrictions on nudity along the beach began.

~Reggie~

And Norman Paperman is the protagonist in "Don't Stop the Carnival", Herman Wouk's novel of a bumbling Hotelier in the Caribbean !

--------------------
"Be a Traveler, not a tourist!"

jiminboston
Traveler

#1590233 - 05/19/14 08:25 AM (58.241.70.210)

Carol:
The hurricane that did all of the damage in '95 was Luis. Lenny came in '99 and did most of its damage on the other side of the island. Storm names are not really relevant however. Norbert Luftman was indeed on the island by then, but I am not convinced that he is the whole problem. One of his proprietors, Jerry Ravel, catered to nudists both before and after Luis (and Jerry got Kon Tiki back up and running fairly quickly after Luis).
On the other hand, after Luftman got control of Liberty Plage, near St. Tropez, (in, as I recall, 1993) from the elderly couple who retired then, he or his staff instituted a dress code.

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Re: Textiles on "nude" beaches [Re: jiminboston]
      #1590347 - 05/19/14 06:23 PM (72.63.185.145)

Wow, I know that Luis was in 95, and Lenny in 99, not sure why I typed what I did. At 9:20 in the morning, can't blame it on a cocktail either.

jiminboston
Traveler

#1598123 - 07/10/14 09:37 PM (208.91.195.229)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
Quote:

Anonymous said:
Wouldn't one exception be the surfers at San Onofre circa 1980? Those guys never wore suits!

I... guess. There will always be exceptions. We are exceptions. In the case of San Onofre, the nude surfers are just the nudists among the local surfers. What my German friend has seen, and it seems to carry into Mexico as well, is that the first wave of "discovery" of an area for tourism and then vacation homes and then luxury retirement homes is the arrival of "safari surfers". Or, in the 1970s - the arrival of the hippies. The locals may or may not be offended, but they're so off the beaten path that laws do not apply as strongly as the lure of a more-than-subsistence income by selling food/meals/liquor/pot to the weird visitors. Vendors set up shop, campsites appear, then bed-and-breakfasts develop, then voilą(!) - a destination resort. And then Norman Luftman appears...

~Reggie~

It is Norbert Luftman. Anyway, the effect described by the original poster is not a problem at Club Orient, even if Luftman is just down the beach from here. We have about as many clothed guys with naked women as v/v.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 6345

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline