Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> Nude Resorts, Beaches and Cruises

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Joecool
Traveler

Re: Why are c/o resort failing and what can be done? [Re: markis]
      #1664895 - 09/28/15 06:21 PM (47.20.24.90)

Interesting discussion. These are my thoughts based on personal observations and comments. Now I know we are not supposed to get political, but here in Long Island, Gov. Cuomo has decided to enforce state anti-nudity laws. Fact.
Second, I think many younger people feel naturists are a bunch of aging hippies they have nothing in common with, and I believe due to their age, they have not developed a sense of confidence that a 40 something may feel due to personal experience. Third, this very same group feels it's disgusting that old folks have no problem with their"junk" hanging out. Finally, many of those same younger people think a c/o club or beach is a sexual free for all. Hence this is why the politicos and textiles make things difficult for naturist venues to strive. Kind of like a "not in my neighborhood" mentality. Which in a way is the fault of some naturist resorts and trravel venues catered to swinging and overt sexual tendency advertised as "mature adult" clubs.
Again, the question remains. To reverse this trend follow the Haulover Beach model. Organize ourselves and work together to create a beach ambassador program t prevent unacceptable behavior. Work and cooperate with law enforcement. And I know I'll catch alot of criticism for this one , but ban alcoholic beverages at nude beach venues, as I can attest I've seen a lot of people act really stupid. As far as cell phones and photos are concerned, they are here to stay. We must be vigilant amongst ourselves to see this doesn't create a harmful environment. I'm sure we can all spot the pervs who sneak as opposed to the couple (and I have seen this at Club O) who choose to photograph themselves as naturist etiquette dictates.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Why are c/o resort failing and what can be done? [Re: Joecool]
      #1664906 - 09/28/15 07:44 PM (68.247.239.225)

Yeah, I would say that most naturists would much prefer to ban cell phones and cameras, before alcoholic beverages. Hard to hide a camera in a drink--although possible, I suppose...

Prairienaked

#1664971 - 09/29/15 01:07 PM (65.182.82.111)

This topic has prompted a lot of conversation between my wife and myself. The problem, as I see it is not just one problem, but many problems.

In the first place, some of the clubs we've visited had lodging facilities that fell short of even Motel 6. One club we visited did not have key to lock the door. Another had a serious mold problem and no bathroom, so you had to walk about 100 yds. to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, and the last one took the cake. The trailer at the club was advertised as being 30 ft. when it was really about 20. And when the manager opened the door, the stench was so bad that it almost knocked you over. So in some cases the facilities are far from what we are used to in the USA as even basic housing.

Sometimes the managers are also less than friendly or accomodating. Last month we want to stay at a club we have stayed at several times, usually for 4-7 days, but the owner said that if we couldn't be there before noon this time, they couldn't accomodate us at all during the week. So the club owners, in some cases are turning people off.

Second, in some cases, the members are less than friendly, and that can turn people off. However, we have had some wonderful experiences with very friendly clubs, so it usually just depends on the club.

In the third place, the activities tend to be more centered on the older crowd, and this is not the kind of thing that attracts young people. The demographics of most clubs is older, so that also doesn't attract the young people.

Fourth, the swinger thing is a definite challenge. I had a nudist B+B owner tell me that one of his guests told him that if he would admit swingers and their activities, that he could promise him he'd be full every weekend.

Lastly, the cost that some resorts/clubs charge is just too much in some cases. I've been charged much more than a place like Cypress Cove for far less than quality than CC. That too will turn people off.

However, I do have some positive input.
First, I think that there are plenty of young nudists and plenty that would try it. The clubs just have to find a way to attract them.

I also think that if someone could get some of the run down clubs to clean up their facilities or lose their AANR affiliation, there would be more enthusiasm for nudism in general.

I also have a suggestion, and this addresses the cost issue. There are more RVer's than ever, and some estimate that there are over a million people that are full time RVers. Usually these are people past 40. But for a full timer, traveling around the country, staying at a nudist resort or moving from resort to resort is a problem, because with the grounds fees and lot rental, its just cost prohibitive. So my idea is sell a membership to AANR, that would give you very cheap or no grounds fees at all the clubs, so that the RVer would just pay the lot rental. More RVers might come to use the clubs and stay in the parks and pay lot rent. When they stayed the club owner would get some money from AANR, as the RVers ground fee. I think this could help tap into a large group of people that would like to stay at a nudist resort from time to time.

Finally, I would advise that there should be some serious changes in the AANR community into how the clubs and organization are run, or its going to continue to shrink or fail. And the longer the delay, the less likely it is that the organization will survive.

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Why are c/o resort failing and what can be done? [Re: Prairienaked]
      #1664973 - 09/29/15 01:34 PM (71.101.34.91)

Thanks for your imput. I think you might have something there, with the RV idea and an AANR membership. But, why limit it to that?? Why not have a membership like that for anyone to stay in the regular units, based on availability, of course. This would have to be a lot more expensive a membership than your RV idea, but seems like it would be something that would appeal to a lot of people who like to travel around to different areas of the country.

rockhill
Traveler

Loc: North Texas
Re: Why are c/o resort failing and what can be done? [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1664980 - 09/29/15 02:08 PM (97.68.133.28)

We are in the middle of a extended rv trip and Prairienaked hit it on the head. While we would prefer to stay at clothing optional locations, the daily fee plus camp fee gets crazy. Couple that with the unknown quality/hospitality then one tends to shy away. We opted to stay a month at Cypress cove because we knew what to expect and when you stay for a month daily rate becomes reasonable. I sure do not know the answer is but some are getting it right and others very wrong. Like Bill stated on other post, huge difference between "resort" and "camp or park". Using the word does not make it so. Some locations fail to update/improve facilities and thus loose the appeal and visitors. To offset loss in visitors they raise rates which drives away more guest and potential members. A downward spiral...

Eric_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Re: Why are c/o resort failing and what can be done? [Re: rockhill]
      #1664992 - 09/29/15 04:22 PM (71.101.34.91)

Quote:

huge difference between "resort" and "camp or park". Using the word does not make it so.

That is a big thing right there. It would seem that it would be easier to find out the details of a particular place that it is. Not sure where the marketing is/if any. Many times the websites are not very good about explaining much of anything about the facilities, terms, prices, etc. Sometimes it seems like they do not want people to know about them at all.

And of course clubs in the US are different than locations in the Caribbean for example. I think maybe for some or even many people that are experiencing it for the first time or times -- that if they go to the "resorts" in the caribbean, then they are generally or completely disappointed in the US facilities.

I think that should be easy to overcome to some extent, but it takes an effort on the part of the US facility. As a result of what I just said, I am not sure that hardly any of the US locations have or are even prepared to find out what the new visitor is expecting, wanting, etc. and then be able to at the very least explain what they have to offer in order to avoid the disappointment by the new visitor.

--------------------
Eric Hill
TTOL Shop

HillsideView
Traveler

Loc: Ya never know...
      #1665023 - 09/29/15 09:39 PM (70.208.72.164)

I'd venture a guess not enough "deep pockets" or, for that matter, ANY pockets coming to visit

--------------------
My foot fits right into my shoe and my shoe will fit right into your...

beachnutsrwe
Traveler

Loc: nawlins
Re: Why are c/o resort failing and what can be done? [Re: Eric_Hill]
      #1665049 - 09/30/15 09:14 AM (67.142.112.66)

The long standing Florida panhandle club I belonged to went textile after the owner died. One of the members found a struggling local textile campground and resurrected it as a nudist resort hoping the nudist membership would follow. The campground didn't have a pool, a must have for nudist if your not located on a beautiful beach and the club floundered. The new owner's favorite saying was "if you want to make a million bucks running a nudist resort just start with two million and very shortly you will have one million"!

Just look at Paradise Valley Resort for a successful turnaround of a floundering nudist resort. Invite the lifestylers in, warn the nudist when an event is going to be lifestyle and to stay away. Try to harmonize the two groups with enough pure nudist content which they seem to be successfully doing. Their membership and resort is growing by leaps because the two groups are tolerant and the manager works hard to please both.

rockhill
Traveler

Loc: North Texas
Re: Why are c/o resort failing and what can be done? [Re: beachnutsrwe]
      #1665074 - 09/30/15 11:32 AM (97.68.133.28)

Quote:

beachnutsrwe said:

Just look at Paradise Valley Resort for a successful turnaround of a floundering nudist resort. Invite the lifestylers in, warn the nudist when an event is going to be lifestyle and to stay away. Try to harmonize the two groups with enough pure nudist content which they seem to be successfully doing. Their membership and resort is growing by leaps because the two groups are tolerant and the manager works hard to please both.

Good information as I did not know that and it is on our list of places to visit. Still plan to visit but now have additional questions to ask as before scheduling. As you say, a owner trying to keep everyone happy, not easy but possible.

markis
Traveler

Loc: ohio
Re: Why are c/o resort failing and what can be done? [Re: rockhill]
      #1665167 - 10/01/15 05:03 AM (24.93.106.2)

This is a good discussion. We seem a little unique to nude travel compared to others on here. Many here seem to seek out nudist venues first, then focus on destination. We decide where we want to go, then see if there is a place we can stay that allows nudity. (at least that is my impression) I think that is why we are so disappointed in the changes in Key West in particular, we really like Key West, and all the CO B&B's seem to be changing over.
We are island travelers, and the Caribbean also seems to be losing many of it's CO resorts.
Orient is too crowded for us, and Hedo is a little too crazy for us. Couples resorts still offers a great venue that seems to fit our personality.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 12569

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline