Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> Recipes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
eng3dr
Traveler

Loc: Leominster, Ma.
Re: Cooking Lobster [Re: silverfox82]
      #986754 - 04/05/09 08:59 AM (71.233.63.201)

Contessa, it's just a family thing, a cooler with raw oysters, it's just something we enjoy.....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
The Homer
Unregistered

Re: Cooking Lobster [Re: eng3dr]
      #986757 - 04/05/09 09:02 AM (98.243.167.21)

Sounds delish!!!

The Homer

contessa
Traveler

Loc: In the beautiful woods @ Hunti...
Re: Cooking Lobster [Re: eng3dr]
      #986765 - 04/05/09 09:19 AM (70.19.186.24)

Ah....that's different. I thought you meant it was part of the N.E. Clambake.
Of course, any variation is great! Whatever makes your 'tongue-tie'!!
It's all good!!

Contessa

Unregistered

Re: Cooking Lobster [Re: contessa]
      #986832 - 04/05/09 11:03 AM (4.154.206.86)

Quote:

contessa said:
Hmm....in all the New England Clam Bakes I've been involved with there was nothing raw involved. It's Lobster/clams/potatoes/onions/corn/and possibly a sausage ie: kielbasa/linguica or other type. But, never anything raw. We used to build a pit on the beach w/charcoal, rocks, seaweed and a tarp over to steam. Those were the days!! Nothing has tasted that great since. Glad I have the memories.
Could that be a regional thingy??

Contessa

Memories- you say Contessa--try this one-- when I was a teenager (yes I really was one once) my family cooked lobsters for dinner - a real treat back then-- the only pot big enough that we had was the pressure cooker-- while the lobs were steaming-- the lid rotated just enough to hook under the flange---when my Dad removed the lid- the lobs literally hit the ceiling from the pressure-- Mom and Dad got boiling water on them-- of course back then-- the cure for a burn was vinegar--- did you ever have a lobster dinner-when all you could smell was vinegar??? chbpod

Unregistered

#986844 - 04/05/09 11:22 AM (24.206.236.200)

Well if it is, it sure does sound like a delicious regional thingy! That would be lovely, maybe a few Bloody Mary's - helluva good beach party!

Unregistered

Re: Cooking Lobster [Re: HillsideView]
      #986845 - 04/05/09 11:23 AM (24.206.236.200)

Quote:

HillsideView said:
Hmmm, think I'll get a live lobster and pop 'em in the microwave, so how that works

Yuck, you guys, that's gross! I hope PETA doesn't read this forum!

WayneH
Traveler

Loc: Londonderry, N.H.
Re: Cooking Lobster [Re: Anonymous]
      #986860 - 04/05/09 11:45 AM (75.67.245.195)

Hey Clark,

There has to be more to the story than that. First of all, that is more than just boiling water, which would have been bad enough. Secondly, it was boiling water under pressure which means two things. One, it was of a higher temperature than boiling water, meaning it was steam. And then, because it was steam, it would be able to penetrate the skin more than water. Do you mean to tell us that they just sat right down and ate dinner without going to the hospital? Also, those lobsters had to have been mulchified from a gross overcooking. (is that a word?) Anyway, haven't seen you post in a while. Hope all is well with you.

Wayne <><

peconic
Traveler

Loc: Basking Ridge, NJ Southold, NY...
Re: Cooking Lobster [Re: silverfox82]
      #986910 - 04/05/09 01:44 PM (173.70.202.81)

Quote:

silverfox82 said:
soft clams which are steamers on long island and belly or pisser clams in new england.

Nothin' better than fried steamers with bellies at The Elbow Room in Jamespoort!
or just a big ole' plate of them steamed with melted garlic butter at Claudio's Dock!
or better yet... dig them yourself and cook them up right away at home!

--------------------
Life with my wife... It's not just a marriage, It's an Adventure!
"Only Sailors Get Blown Offshore" <*}}}><{

contessa
Traveler

Loc: In the beautiful woods @ Hunti...
Re: Cooking Lobster [Re: WayneH]
      #986952 - 04/05/09 03:22 PM (70.19.186.24)

Wayne, that pressure cooker story of Clark's had me roaring. My mother put a dinner in the pressure cooker once, and didn't tighten the lid properly and when the steam built up so didn't the cover.....right up to the ceiling!! OMG, I'll never forget that one. My grandmother told her, that's what she gets for trying to cook an American dinner!!
( Nonnie was from Italy so if it wasn't Italian it was American, didn't matter if it was Matzo ball soup, it was American)

Contessa

WayneH
Traveler

Loc: Londonderry, N.H.
      #986960 - 04/05/09 03:38 PM (75.67.245.195)

My Dearest Contessa,

We all have our pressure cooker stories. I dare say that these young wives nowadays don't even know what it is. Anyway, one time my mother was cooking butternut squash and I don't know what happened but with the pressure of the steam, that squash was all over the ceiling, and stayed there for many weeks. With your story and mine, it was just funny. In Clark's case, there could have been injury. Although, any time a pressure cooker lets loose, there could certainly be injury. I still have one, and use it, but are they even sold anymore? Sorry for highjacking the lobster thread.

Wayne <><

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 13771

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline