Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> St. Maarten - St. Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
zoe
Traveler

Re: Seaweed?? [Re: kabs996]
      #1733882 - 05/27/17 05:56 PM (73.236.16.136)

Sorry. Sxm talk.com. No hyphen

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zoe
Traveler

Re: Seaweed?? [Re: kabs996]
      #1733883 - 05/27/17 06:03 PM (73.236.16.136)

I apologize.... This should work. Sxm-talks.com. Or google soualiga news st. Martin. It's a news source with articles re: sxm seaweed status. You have to enter seaweed on that sites search box. Hope this helps

ruralcarrierModerator

Loc: Ohio
Re: Seaweed?? [Re: zoe]
      #1733888 - 05/27/17 08:21 PM (24.209.195.61)

Regardless of the site and discussion, July is a long way off and things can change rapidly when it comes to seaweed. Usually it is not bad in the Simpson Bay/Mullet Bay area but I have seen it there in the past.

--------------------
J.D.

KarenandRick
Traveler

Loc: Clarksville, Maryland
Re: Seaweed?? [Re: ruralcarrier]
      #1734497 - 06/04/17 10:36 AM (198.179.4.250)

Hi all! We are arriving Thursday! YAY! Can I get an update on Orient seaweed, if there is any? I'm hoping to hear the all clear! Thanks in advance!

Scotty
Traveler

Loc: Scott City, Kansas
Re: Seaweed?? [Re: KarenandRick]
      #1734666 - 06/06/17 12:51 PM (201.220.7.62)

The seaweed in Oyster Bay is TERRIBLE. Dawn Beach is unusable in my opinion. We're going to try Orient today and see how that is. We have been here 7 days and haven't been in the ocean yet. It kinda sucks.

--------------------

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Seaweed?? [Re: Scotty]
      #1734667 - 06/06/17 12:57 PM (47.192.9.53)

I feel so badly for you. I personally would think twice about booking something at Oyster Bay during the summer. If I had a reservation for this year, I think I would try to cancel it. If there is sargasso, it seems that it is ALWAYS a problem at Dawn.

KarenandRick
Traveler

#1734671 - 06/06/17 01:33 PM (198.179.4.253)

Wow! I am so sorry to hear that. I brought my sister to SXM for the first time ever (I have been there many times) in December 2014. The seaweed was terrible. There was no one on Orient and it smelled horribly. My sister could not understand what my family had always bragged about! On top of that there were 10 foot waves at Mullett and it was too dangerous for us to venture in the water. Fast forward to December 2016 and I brought her back. Mullett was the bathtub I love and Orient was seaweed-free and gorgeous. Now she understands!

Please please report back on Orient. We arrive Thursday and would like to be prepared. Best wishes to you Scotty that there is improved conditions for you to enjoy.

pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
Re: Seaweed?? [Re: KarenandRick]
      #1734676 - 06/06/17 02:11 PM (75.133.113.202)

A year or so ago, after having heard so many positive comments about BSV on Simpson Bay, we booked 3-4 nights there at the end of our two weeks at our timeshare. The idea of staying literally right on the beach sounded wonderful so we were very excited.

Pretty much most of the island was experiencing issues with the dreaded Sargasso seaweed although we'd had virtually no problem with it on Mullet Beach, our island favorite and basically the home beach for our timeshare.

Finally our two weeks at the Towers were up and it was time to relocate to the much anticipated Beachside Villas. We were so excited and happy to be making the move. You can't imagine our disappointment when we got there and saw all the seaweed - it seemed to collect in that area and down the beach to El Zafiro although in walking the beach we knew it was everywhere. The groundspeople were out every morning raking and bagging and hauling away the offensive mess but within an hour or two it was back again but at least we knew they were trying to keep up with it. It was unbelievably thick in the water along the shore and not pleasant to swim in.

And to top things off, the surf pounded the whole time we were there. My DH was able to get in and out of the water safely but once the last day of our stay and I never did make it in. But in the end it was all okay because the pool was delightful and the seaweed was prevalent across most of the island's beaches and you knew the property owners were diligently trying to stay on top of it.

We went back this past April and stayed a full week after our two weeks at the Towers and there was zero seaweed and the normal waves you would expect which made the beach easily accessible most of the time we were there.

The islands are all wonderful but two things you can't control are the seaweed and the power of the water so the secret is accept and respect it and if one beach isn't good, there's probably one in the exact opposite direction that is.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for all of you there now and those soon come.

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

Scotty
Traveler

Loc: Scott City, Kansas
Re: Seaweed?? [Re: pat]
      #1734687 - 06/06/17 03:52 PM (201.220.7.62)

Well, you live and learn. We are here for another 12 days. The seaweed at Orient is so minimal compared to Oyster Bay. You could take all the seaweed on the entire beach at Orient and it wouldn't be as much as a 100' of the beach here. Yesterday was at least 2' high by 2 or 3' wide. They cleaned it this morning but it is already 1' high and wide or wider. I guess it is the last time we stay on this side during the summer.

I wonder if I could contact II and change my 2nd week when we're down here. I've never done that before and I'm sure it can't be done but I may try.

I think we'll be going to Orient tomorrow and sit all day. We went after lunch today to just inspect and it was great so we walked the beach for a couple hours up and down and got some exercise but didn't rent any chairs or anything like that.

The area around the Divi, and Belair have great calm water right now with no seaweed that I could see. I just have to figure out if I am coming back next year and if so where to go that II lets me go where I can have some good water without always going to Orient.

As for Orient, to me it is great and I think you'll be fine unless something changes from what we saw today.

--------------------

KarenandRick
Traveler

#1734688 - 06/06/17 04:04 PM (198.179.4.254)

Thanks for the update Scotty! Sounds like things are looking up for the rest of your trip! Starting Friday my 19 year old son and I will be hanging around La Playa on Orient and then a week later my husband and daughter join us .. maybe we will run into you!

ENJOY the rest of your vacation!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 6575

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline