Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> St. Maarten - St. Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Snorkeller
Traveler

Loc: Virginia
Re: Cruise ships seem pointless... [Re: DavidinChelseaMA]
      #1734163 - 05/31/17 10:32 AM (108.4.113.218)

We also first "discovered" SXM on cruises. We have taken over 50 cruises and very much enjoy them - of course, we also enjoy land vacations - come to think of it, we enjoy anything that gets us out and about.

We started cruising with young daughters - taking a week cruise every year. We think that for a family vacation, cruises are great. Everybody can do their own thing - separately as desired during the day - but then come together for dinner and the evening. No endless discussions about where to go for dinner - maybe your family can avoid those, we seem to have trouble when there are lots of choices. And, those dang vegetarians who want every night to be Thai ....

We now have a family group of about 8 that cruises over the Christmas/New Year's holiday every year - again, we find that the structure is not a negative, but a plus for our group.

If it is just the two of us now, we do tend to think about a land vacation as opposed to a cruise. But, we have cruised enough that we know, and consider friends, some of crew on certain ships - and, when you cruise a lot you also get to know some regular repeat cruisers. I doubt that we ever will be people who stay on a cruise ship for months at a time, but for a relatively few people it is what they really enjoy and how they want to live a good part of their lives.

I think a significant part of it is simply how you feel about being on a ship out in the water - for whatever reason we find it relaxing and enjoyable just to be on a boat/ship. I do agree that this kind of feeling is somewhat diluted on the big ships of today - but as long as you can sit and look out over the water to the horizon, it still is pretty great.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Cruise ships seem pointless... [Re: Snorkeller]
      #1734165 - 05/31/17 10:37 AM (47.192.9.53)

Snorkeller--that is exactly what I don't enjoy about the megaships of today--the feeling of being out on the water is so diluted. I know I would personally never cruise again without a balcony -- UNLESS it's on a really small ship.

islandgem
Traveler

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
      #1734169 - 05/31/17 10:50 AM (174.116.44.201)

Cruising is a form of vacation enjoyed by many. It is absolutely relaxing and a way to see numerous islands and various other places throughout the world that most people would otherwise not travel to because of the cost and other things. I have cruised many times and loved each trip immensely. I did not find SXM on a cruise, but many have over the years. Cruising is the reason SXM has hundreds of annual visitors now each year who come to spend weeks on this island paradise.If for some reason cruise ships stopped coming to the island, SXM would suffer greatly!

Snorkeller
Traveler

Loc: Virginia
Re: Cruise ships seem pointless... [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1734170 - 05/31/17 11:00 AM (108.4.113.218)

Absolutely agree about need for balcony that looks out over water. I find the balconies that look into the interior of the ship (like on Oasis class) unbelievably ugly. I would rather pay less for an interior than get one of those.

deputydog1157
Traveler

Loc: FL
Re: Cruise ships seem pointless... [Re: Snorkeller]
      #1734176 - 05/31/17 11:27 AM (199.47.253.145)

I find that cruising is one of the best values you can get for money. As a Florida resident I don't have to pay for airfare. We too have found SXM on a cruise and this year we have decided to spend a week on the island.

--------------------

Bahston
Traveler

Re: Cruise ships seem pointless... [Re: deputydog1157]
      #1734178 - 05/31/17 11:42 AM (198.180.162.5)

Cruise ships, Timeshares, and All-Inclusives are all pointless, unless you happen to like Cruise Ships, Timeshares, or All-Inclusives. Different strokes...

thesimpsons
Traveler

Loc: Northern California
      #1734184 - 05/31/17 12:32 PM (71.134.228.233)

We found St. Martin on a cruise in 1981.

--------------------
[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

molldoll
Traveler

Re: Cruise ships seem pointless... [Re: thesimpsons]
      #1734185 - 05/31/17 12:51 PM (97.126.26.150)

When millions of people cruise each year there has to be something to that. Personally I have taken many cruises and have enjoyed them all. I love being waited on. I love seeing different places. A cruise is an easy vacation as you unpack once, no rental car involved and no big decision where to go for dinner. A cruise is well suited to someone my age (like Carol I do not like the big ships and I must have a balcony) and yes, a cruise to SXM years ago sold me on coming back each year for a couple of weeks.

SXMScubaman
Traveler

Loc: Auburn, WA
Re: Cruise ships seem pointless... [Re: molldoll]
      #1734189 - 05/31/17 01:18 PM (201.220.7.58)

We have even thought about taking a weeks break from being on island and cruising for a week out of SXM and then returning to our timeshare for more weeks on island.

kim
Traveler

Loc: Newtown, CT
Re: Cruise ships seem pointless... [Re: SXMScubaman]
      #1734190 - 05/31/17 01:20 PM (24.151.114.250)

Wind star has some amazing looking trips out of the island!!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 5181

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline