Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> St. Maarten - St. Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
kim
Traveler

Loc: Newtown, CT
Re: Car Rental Liability Insurance - Scubaman [Re: Tom]
      #1734831 - 06/07/17 06:37 PM (24.151.114.250)

That's he thread that prompted it as while covered it basically said nothing. I'm trying to decipher what credit card or whether one really needs to pay for liability insurance. Like Hertz, they cover it. So are other agencies by law covering it and then just charging?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ruralcarrierModerator

Loc: Ohio
Re: Car Rental Liability Insurance - Scubaman [Re: kim]
      #1734871 - 06/08/17 08:32 AM (24.209.195.61)

Still nothing factual about any current credit card coverage for liability?

--------------------
J.D.

Fletch
Traveler

#1734884 - 06/08/17 09:29 AM (76.227.106.13)

Quote:

kim said:
That's he thread that prompted it as while covered it basically said nothing. I'm trying to decipher what credit card or whether one really needs to pay for liability insurance. Like Hertz, they cover it. So are other agencies by law covering it and then just charging?

I don't see what you are confused about.

Liability insurance isn't really "free" from Hertz, the cost is built into their rates and thus you wouldn't have to purchase additional "Liability" coverage if you rent from them. You'll also have the option to purchase the Collision Damage Waiver, for a fee, if you want collision coverage. If you use a credit card to pay for the rental your cc company may provide collision coverage for you. While most cc companies offer this benefit you should check with your cc company to be sure.

FYI - other car rental companies offer Liability insurance as an "option" for which you pay a daily fee. The car rental companies are under no obligation to have liability insurance on their vehicles and you are under no obligation to purchase it. If you decline the optional Liability you don't pay the fee but you WILL NOT have Liability coverage unless your personal auto insurance covers you (check with your personal insurance agent for details). Credit card companies DO NOT offer Liability insurance as a benefit.

So bottom line, if renting from Hertz you you will be covered for Liability. If renting from some other company and you want liability insurance you either have to purchase it from the car rental company or have it through your own personal insurance policy. Either way you'll be paying for it.

kim
Traveler

Re: Car Rental Liability Insurance - Scubaman [Re: Fletch]
      #1734893 - 06/08/17 09:56 AM (24.151.114.250)

Yes, I totally understand that. On a previous thread Scubaman stated that a friend paid a fee to AMEX and was able to get liability coverage. I was unable to find any info on which card that is. As HERTZ includes liability in their rates, on a post somewhere someone "implied" that all rental agencies have liability coverage, this was not recent, I can't find any proof that is true. The AMEX program sounded like a yearly fee. If you travel to the island 3-5 times a year that would be a great thing to have instead of paying a daily rate. Honestly I'm not even sure what the daily rates are! It just trying to research and get the scoop.

ruralcarrierModerator

#1734897 - 06/08/17 10:04 AM (24.209.195.61)

Previous Discussion

There is unsubstantiated reference made to a certain AMEX card offering liability for an additional fee. Nobody has found the card or been able to provide a link to such a program to actually confirm it.

--------------------
J.D.

kim
Traveler

Re: Car Rental Liability Insurance - Scubaman [Re: ruralcarrier]
      #1734902 - 06/08/17 10:29 AM (24.151.114.250)

I think it's the AMEX Platinum, but I can. Not find a reference number to call and inquire about the extra fee to pay to obtain the coverage. Giving up!!!

ruralcarrierModerator

#1734903 - 06/08/17 10:32 AM (24.209.195.61)

Just call Amex and see if they will transfer you. Don't give up!!

--------------------
J.D.

Fletch
Traveler

#1734914 - 06/08/17 12:47 PM (76.227.106.13)

Quote:

kim said:
I think it's the AMEX Platinum, but I can. Not find a reference number to call and inquire about the extra fee to pay to obtain the coverage. Giving up!!!

The AMEX Platinum Card DOES NOT provide Liability Insurance - only Collision Damage.

The Annual Fee for the Platinum Card is $550. Go here for a complete description of all the "benefits" the Platinum Card offers: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credi...rdBenefitsTerms

I'll say it again, if you want Liability coverage you have to purchase it from the car rental company or add a "Hired Car" rider for your Personal Auto Policy. It's not very expensive and can be very cost effective if you do multiple car rentals throughout the year.

Edited by Fletch (06/08/17 12:48 PM)

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
      #1734917 - 06/08/17 12:53 PM (47.192.9.53)

And again, unless your policy is different than mine, "hired car" coverage does NOT cover rentals outside the US.

ruralcarrierModerator

Re: Car Rental Liability Insurance - Scubaman [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1734919 - 06/08/17 12:56 PM (24.209.195.61)

Correct, and many AGENTS are misinformed. When in doubt, check directly with your particular company or better yet, read the fine print of your actual policy.

--------------------
J.D.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 3374

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline