Traveltalkonline.com Forums



Travel and Vacation Forums >> St. Maarten - St. Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
DavidinChelseaMA
Traveler


Joined: 07/25/11
Posts: 402
Re: Someone died? [Re: ruralcarrier]
      #1738663 - 07/15/17 09:08 AM (24.34.189.240)

Adding the following to the Danger sign might help a little: "Fine of $20,000 (U.S.) for hanging on the fence during jet take-offs."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator


Joined: 08/01/00
Posts: 63835
Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Someone died? [Re: DavidinChelseaMA]
      #1738664 - 07/15/17 09:18 AM (107.77.253.8)

Sorry, I think that's a ridiculous amount. The current signs do not even say it is ILLEGAL to stand there, as I'm not at all certain that it is. Perhaps the legislature could pass a law that says that it is illegal to stand there. The problem, as I said, is that particularly many local people walk along there, to get from Beacon Hill to Maho, as this is the only way to get there. The law would have to be carefully drafted to allow people to walk through there, just not stand there, and I think that would be a bit dicey in drafting.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
o2bnsxm
Traveler


Joined: 06/23/05
Posts: 949
Loc: Louisiana
Re: Someone died? [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1738668 - 07/15/17 09:44 AM (65.13.175.190)

A sign saying : EXTREME DANGER AREA !! DO NOT STAND HERE WHEN PLANES ARE ARRIVING OR LEAVING !! DEATH COULD RESULT !!

The violators will do whatever they wish anyway. Nothing more to do about it.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SXMBND
Traveler


Joined: 01/02/15
Posts: 220
Loc: South Coast of MA
Re: Someone died? [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1738673 - 07/15/17 10:54 AM (65.96.96.4)

Quote:

Carol_Hill said:
Sorry, I think that's a ridiculous amount. The current signs do not even say it is ILLEGAL to stand there, as I'm not at all certain that it is. Perhaps the legislature could pass a law that says that it is illegal to stand there. The problem, as I said, is that particularly many local people walk along there, to get from Beacon Hill to Maho, as this is the only way to get there. The law would have to be carefully drafted to allow people to walk through there, just not stand there, and I think that would be a bit dicey in drafting.




Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SXMBND
Traveler


Joined: 01/02/15
Posts: 220
Loc: South Coast of MA
Re: Someone died? [Re: o2bnsxm]
      #1738675 - 07/15/17 10:56 AM (65.96.96.4)

Quote:

o2bnsxm said:
A sign saying : EXTREME DANGER AREA !! DO NOT STAND HERE WHEN PLANES ARE ARRIVING OR LEAVING !! DEATH COULD RESULT !!

The violators will do whatever they wish anyway. Nothing more to do about it.





Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jeepers
Traveler


Joined: 07/21/15
Posts: 426
Loc: Cobourg Ontario Canada
Re: Someone died?/Maho Jet Blast [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1738683 - 07/15/17 11:57 AM (24.235.245.3)

I actually have seen the police vehicles stop & move them off the fence & off the cement edge of the road. I'm not sure how often they go. As soon as they leave everybody ran back up though.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jerber160
Traveler


Joined: 09/14/14
Posts: 333
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Someone died? [Re: o2bnsxm]
      #1738684 - 07/15/17 11:57 AM (96.94.98.14)

Quote:

o2bnsxm said:
A sign saying : EXTREME DANGER AREA !! DO NOT STAND HERE WHEN PLANES ARE ARRIVING OR LEAVING !! DEATH COULD RESULT !!

The violators will do whatever they wish anyway. Nothing more to do about it.


I've been thinking about the 'get blown' t-shirts and signs at Sunset that seems to encourage this. I'm thinking about the people who think 57 years old is old. I'm thinking this is really sad but not unexpected and it's remarkable it hasn't happened before.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bobcat
Traveler


Joined: 10/05/00
Posts: 12424
Loc: Staten Island
Re: Someone died? [Re: jerber160]
      #1738685 - 07/15/17 12:01 PM (100.38.184.167)

Actually it almost did, about four years ago, the person hit the wall but lived to tell about it thankfully.

--------------------


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DavidinChelseaMA
Traveler


Joined: 07/25/11
Posts: 402
Re: Someone died? [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1738721 - 07/16/17 07:06 AM (24.34.189.240)

Quote:

Carol_Hill said:
Sorry, I think that's a ridiculous amount. The current signs do not even say it is ILLEGAL to stand there, as I'm not at all certain that it is. Perhaps the legislature could pass a law that says that it is illegal to stand there. The problem, as I said, is that particularly many local people walk along there, to get from Beacon Hill to Maho, as this is the only way to get there. The law would have to be carefully drafted to allow people to walk through there, just not stand there, and I think that would be a bit dicey in drafting.




I figured a high enough amount to deter a drunk tourist. But I see what you're saying about walking past, in that many people don't actually cling to the fence during take-off, but put themselves in line with the engine thrust. And who's to say who merely unknowingly walks past at the very moment the plane takes off versus who intentionally stops to participate in this foolish activity. It's a tricky issue, but maybe a slightly higher, solid wall, just at the end of the runway, would be better to prevent this from happening.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator


Joined: 08/01/00
Posts: 63835
Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Someone died? [Re: DavidinChelseaMA]
      #1738723 - 07/16/17 08:43 AM (107.77.253.8)

As I said before in this thread, I think that a solid wall would be more dangerous for the planes landing, especially if a plane landed really short, as Air France did that one time.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)



Extra information
9 registered and 61 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 9621

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline