Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> St. Maarten - St. Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
blackmercedes
Traveler

Re: Someone died? [Re: Bobcat]
      #1738538 - 07/13/17 06:40 PM (24.165.213.119)

Story is going to be on ABC World News Tonight.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SXMBND
Traveler

Loc: South Coast of MA
Re: Someone died? [Re: ruralcarrier]
      #1738539 - 07/13/17 06:43 PM (75.143.19.148)

Quote:

ruralcarrier said:
Protective padding? Perhaps but how about people use common sense and don't knowingly do stupid and unsafe things.

SXMBND
Traveler

Re: Someone died? [Re: shieneehead]
      #1738540 - 07/13/17 06:46 PM (75.143.19.148)

Quote:

shieneehead said:
It is sad that it happened but standing at the fence is one of the most asinine things I've seen. I've never understood the motivation to do it. It doesn't look enjoyable. The internet is loaded with videos of people getting hurt and sandblasted. It's like playing Russian roulette.

With all of the cylinders loaded.

SXMBND
Traveler

Re: Someone died?/Maho Jet Blast [Re: SXMDeepBleu]
      #1738541 - 07/13/17 06:57 PM (75.143.19.148)

Quote:

SXMDeepBleu said:
Google: "Airport blast fence", intended for this very thing. It is a money and publicity generating anomaly for the island, hence the new amount of tours from cruise port to the site. No way will it ever be corrected.

What's to correct??? These people aren't forced....nor is it an accident. These folks make a choice to do something stupid........so be it.

sxmsandbum
Traveler

Re: Someone died?/Maho Jet Blast [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1738542 - 07/13/17 06:58 PM (70.178.28.99)

Quote:

Carol_Hill said:
So sad for this lady's family that this happened. Even if a person doesn't try to 'ride the fence', we see REALLY stupid behavior there all the time. People literally stand in the road, walk in the road, walk on the concrete barriers, right in front of cars going past, and they are usually half lit. It makes me very nervous to drive down through there when there are a lot of people there, afraid that someone will fall right in front of our car and we will run them down. People seem to have no good sense about them.

I am with you on this one Carol I hate driving that area anymore and the people look at you like you are in their way!

SXMDeepBleu
Traveler

Re: Someone died?/Maho Jet Blast [Re: SXMBND]
      #1738543 - 07/13/17 07:39 PM (47.157.93.134)

Quote:

SXMBND said:
Quote:

SXMDeepBleu said:
Google: "Airport blast fence", intended for this very thing. It is a money and publicity generating anomaly for the island, hence the new amount of tours from cruise port to the site. No way will it ever be corrected.

What's to correct??? These people aren't forced....nor is it an accident. These folks make a choice to do something stupid........so be it.

To correct would be an issue to safety due to it being close to the roadside as they do all over the world, for vehicles that need to pass let alone the ignorant that cling to the fence regardless of any sign. It's really a Govt. liability too when it comes to the concerns of tourism safety. The day that there is an engine fire or failure upon takeoff although rare but sudden, and raw fuel or fire or shrapnel shoots out and makes its way to a whole beach full of people then maybe.

ruralcarrierModerator

Loc: Ohio
Re: Someone died? [Re: SXMBND]
      #1738545 - 07/13/17 08:22 PM (24.209.195.61)

I guess the signs and someone just getting killed had no impact.

Updated Article

--------------------
J.D.

Cathyg
Traveler

Loc: Missouri
Re: Someone died? [Re: ruralcarrier]
      #1738549 - 07/13/17 10:10 PM (97.73.80.4)

Why cant they put the fence on the beach side? Every time we drive through there...we have to stop for people crossing the road...to hang on the fence....it makes no sense to me.

BEERMAN
Traveler

Loc: VIRGINIA
Re: Someone died? [Re: Cathyg]
      #1738551 - 07/13/17 10:28 PM (108.45.108.124)

Now that makes sense to me, it really does! But the down side...if/when people still walk the road...there's no way out, then the first vehicle/pedestrian fatality it's the fence fault. I just watched a video of a young lady blown off the fence, tripped over the middle curb and hits her head on the higher beachside curb....lower the curbs "trip hazards"? first vehicle that makes it on the beach and hurts/kills someone...it's the lack of curb protection! Can the Police Dept really be expected, or afford, to put an officer at that location all day 365? It's a tricky one... put up a real barrier deflecting jet wash....the crowd would still get to see the overhead landings?! Thoughts and prayers for family involved.

ruralcarrierModerator

Loc: Ohio
Re: Someone died? [Re: BEERMAN]
      #1738559 - 07/14/17 05:40 AM (24.209.195.61)

I am guessing the height of the curb is to prevent traffic from crossing into the other lane and also to stop some of the sand from coming onto the road. Look at how people drive through the area, stop and look, etc. IF it were not for the height of the curbs, there would be numerous cases of vehicles hitting other vehicles. The curbs are there for a reason and you pretty much stated it.

How about the PEDESTRIANS just stay off the road?

Same picture but another update HERE.

--------------------
J.D.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 101 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 9249

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline