Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> St. Maarten - St. Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
SXMBND
Traveler

Loc: South Coast of MA
Re: What was her name?............ [Re: o2bnsxm]
      #1738989 - 07/18/17 09:33 PM (75.143.19.148)

Quote:

o2bnsxm said:
Let me remind everyone that this is the only fatality that has ever occurred. While one is too many, especially to those who loved and will miss her, it is impractical to expect a financially strapped Govt to make million dollar changes to roads and build tunnels to prevent something that has never occurred until this isolated (but tragic) incident.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BEERMAN
Traveler

Loc: VIRGINIA
Re: What was her name?............ [Re: SXMBND]
      #1739001 - 07/19/17 12:25 AM (198.41.53.29)

I certainly agree that people are responsible for their own actions, but I am curious as to how many injuries have occurred along this road? Yes, only one very unfortunate death has occurred. but many have stated it was only a matter of time, that tells me there's a problem. Imagine a dangerous intersection or school bus stop in your neighborhood, would you accept that hazard? People have stated locals walk that road on a daily basis, would you want to even without the jet wash? I'm actually pro personal responsibility and smaller gov't control, but really, what would be a negative about having a safer walkway and a buffer for those wanting to expose themselves to the jet wash?

SXMBND
Traveler

Re: What was her name?............ [Re: BEERMAN]
      #1739009 - 07/19/17 07:32 AM (75.143.19.148)

Quote:

BEERMAN said:
I certainly agree that people are responsible for their own actions, but I am curious as to how many injuries have occurred along this road? Yes, only one very unfortunate death has occurred. but many have stated it was only a matter of time, that tells me there's a problem. Imagine a dangerous intersection or school bus stop in your neighborhood, would you accept that hazard? People have stated locals walk that road on a daily basis, would you want to even without the jet wash? I'm actually pro personal responsibility and smaller gov't control, but really, what would be a negative about having a safer walkway and a buffer for those wanting to expose themselves to the jet wash?

The "problem" is adults that blatantly ignore the warnings and make a cognoscente choice to risk injury for a thirty second thrill. Their choice........not anyone elses problem.

The walkway is safe......as long as you don't stop to hang on a fence.Just walk on the beach.....it's not that difficult.

o2bnsxm
Traveler

Loc: Louisiana
      #1739049 - 07/19/17 01:31 PM (199.192.119.2)

Apples to oranges comparison. Of course a school bus zone in a residential neighborhood and a airport approach can't be compared. If vehicles are speeding down your street, do you close the street and prevent cars from driving down it? Drunk driving is illegal but some choose to do it, and many more lives have been lost in auto fatalities in the last 100 years than all people who have ever been killed in all of the wars combined. So, make driving illegal? No, common sense traffic laws and posted speed limit signs are what is the norm. Signs posted already that state "DANGER" "Don't stand here" work for most, but not for all. Some will still stand there. I don't know what more to say, other than the Police have much more important things to do than post Officers there so someone doesn't hang on the fence.

Edited by o2bnsxm (07/19/17 01:33 PM)

Kamehameha
Traveler

Loc: Florida
      #1739051 - 07/19/17 02:17 PM (69.254.21.241)

--------------------

BEERMAN
Traveler

Loc: VIRGINIA
      #1739052 - 07/19/17 02:26 PM (198.41.53.29)

Apples and oranges, perhaps a little, but in my neighborhood they have placed speed bumps before the bus stops, apparently the signs themselves aren't enough for some people. My sidewalk fence idea is perhaps knee jerk, but it would give some people a second to pause. I find things repeat themselves and I hope nobody, especially a young person has a life changing event. Hell, my daughter continues to push the limits as I did at her age and sometimes still do. Cheers!

o2bnsxm
Traveler

Loc: Louisiana
      #1739054 - 07/19/17 02:38 PM (12.132.118.2)

Quote:

BEERMAN said:
Apples and oranges, perhaps a little, but in my neighborhood they have placed speed bumps before the bus stops, apparently the signs themselves aren't enough for some people. My sidewalk fence idea is perhaps knee jerk, but it would give some people a second to pause. I find things repeat themselves and I hope nobody, especially a young person has a life changing event. Hell, my daughter continues to push the limits as I did at her age and sometimes still do. Cheers!

All true !! Can't argue with that

bdeeley
Traveler

Loc: Perryman, Maryland
      #1739106 - 07/19/17 09:35 PM (100.16.208.33)

Please, Please, Please Kill this thread, it's making my head hurt.

--------------------
Be careful of the toes you step on today for they may be connected to the foot of the person's a$s you have to kiss tomorrow.

SXMBND
Traveler

Re: What was her name?............ [Re: bdeeley]
      #1739109 - 07/19/17 10:06 PM (75.143.19.148)

Quote:

bdeeley said:
Please, Please, Please Kill this thread, it's making my head hurt.

Then stop reading it.

Cathyg
Traveler

Loc: Missouri
Re: What was her name?............ [Re: Kennys]
      #1739112 - 07/19/17 10:12 PM (97.73.80.105)

A loss of life...regardless of reason or circumstance is a tragedy. When it occurs because of recklessness or stupidity...even more so...especially when it could have been prevented.

I have worked for a funeral home for 33 years...and beleive me...i have seen it all...so many accidents...overdoses, suicides, drunk driving..each one so unnecessary...each one heartbreaking.

To hang on to a fence with warnings posted ....for a THRILL of saying you did it...

to take the chance...to leave a spouse and children and parents and siblings behind...seems so unbelievebly unreal...AND YET...IT IS REALITY

My heart breaks for this family....I cannot even imagine...that a wonderful vacation could go so badly

and all because of stupidity...reckless and unbelievable stupidity

and i see it every damn day

not me...it wont happen to me

yes it does...trust me...it does

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 110 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 5446

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline