Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> St. Maarten - St. Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Re-route Traffic near Airport? [Re: SXMSAMMY]
      #1739088 - 07/19/17 06:06 PM (107.77.253.5)

Of course what tourists want really isn't of concern to the SXM government, but I think that Beerman's post was not what the vast majority of folks here are thinking.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bill_S
Traveler

Loc: Southern Maryland suburbs of D...
Re: Re-route Traffic near Airport? [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1739100 - 07/19/17 08:42 PM (76.21.207.46)

Quote:

kim said:
Most idiotic thing I have ever heard of. What they really need to to lengthen the runway the other way so they don't take off so close to the fence if that is even possible. Or ONLY take off toward the sea and not the mountain of that is possible. I have no idea how that even works.

Sorry Kim, the prevailing winds are trade winds coming from the East North East 90%+ of the time. This is almost straight down the runway at PJIA, and the winds are usually 10 kts or better. Landing to the east and taking off to the east shortens the stopping distance upon landing and shortens the takeoff run similarly.

For aircraft there are two speeds in play: the ground speed which measures how fast you are moving across the earth, and the air speed, which measures how fast the air is moving across your wings.

You do not want to take off or land with a tail wind if the wind is blowing more than 1 or 2 kts...you will use a lot more runway and have a much higher impact on the landing gear if you land downwind.

(And yes, I hold an FAA Commercial Pilot Certificate...but I have been retired for years now.)

So that's why the safest bet at PJIA is usually landing and taking off to the east.

--------------------
Bill

SXMBND
Traveler

Loc: South Coast of MA
Re: Re-route Traffic near Airport? [Re: Kennys]
      #1739110 - 07/19/17 10:10 PM (75.143.19.148)

Quote:

Kennys said:
This change will not happen. The road will remain the same spot.

This is just to quiet the SJW's.

SXMBND
Traveler

Loc: South Coast of MA
Re: Re-route Traffic near Airport? [Re: pat]
      #1739111 - 07/19/17 10:12 PM (75.143.19.148)

Quote:

pat said:
Good. Personally speaking, I think the idea of routing through your area is totally ridiculous, Lesley. Not to mention, I can't imagine how that would work with cars tripping through the residential area along the runway, since there's really no place else for the road to go.

What happened recently is a shame but I'm a firm believer in personal responsibility.

kim
Traveler

Loc: Newtown, CT
Re: Re-route Traffic near Airport? [Re: Bill_S]
      #1739114 - 07/19/17 10:49 PM (24.151.114.250)

Thanks. I assumed there was a legit reason.

ruralcarrierModerator

Loc: Ohio
Re: Re-route Traffic near Airport? [Re: ruralcarrier]
      #1739120 - 07/20/17 06:08 AM (24.209.195.61)

Daily Herald Article

--------------------
J.D.

Bluesfan
Traveler

Loc: Rhode Island
      #1739145 - 07/20/17 09:10 AM (71.117.166.182)

Why not just put up a "blast barrier" the same height as the fence? That would not be a landing hazard and people would not feel the jet blast.

deputydog1157
Traveler

Loc: FL
Re: Re-route Traffic near Airport? [Re: Bluesfan]
      #1739149 - 07/20/17 09:28 AM (199.47.253.145)

My personal opinion is to leave most of the current infrastructure and security in place. You will always have people doing things that is just plain stupid or they are unqualified to do. If I were to make any changes it would be to remove the concrete median/barriers in the roadway. Based on the videos I have seen it appears that if a person loses his/her grip on the fence and is blown back, they have to negotiate those barriers which the causes them to be off balance and trip. Again I agree with Pat in that people must take responsibility for their actions and it isn't right to punish the masses for the few. Just MHO.

--------------------

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Re-route Traffic near Airport? [Re: deputydog1157]
      #1739151 - 07/20/17 09:35 AM (47.192.5.2)

Someone posted a link here a day or two ago, as to the reason why the concrete medians were placed there. Basically, the reason why they are there is to keep people from parking in the middle of the road.

I just don't see how relocating the road altogether is not going to create a far bigger problem, with traffic problems in Simpson Bay and there just isn't room to put a road there beside the runway, which is the only place they can put it. And then, guess what? People will stop on the road and will stand by the side of the road so they can watch planes take off and land!

mscottc
Traveler

Loc: Jersey City, NJ, North of SXM
      #1739163 - 07/20/17 11:02 AM (69.141.45.176)

The smart answer, but it would require some major dollars and some serious engineering, would be to extend the runway out over the beach over a two lane car tunnel that goes under the roadway. That may be too complex a project for a small island like St. Martin, and it would ruin the two beach establishments in that location, but it would prevent the issue of people on the end of the runway.

--------------------

Life is a series of real images My Galleries

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 118 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 5636

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline