Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> St. Maarten - St. Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
BillandElaine
Traveler

Loc: St Maarten
Re: URGENT Message for ALL U.S. Citizens ! get to ... [Re: Angelface]
      #1745208 - 09/11/17 10:19 PM (65.23.219.34)

As there was no communication about these flights (or anything else) we just took a chance when a neighbor saw folks at the airport and took his family and got them on a plane, we just dumped contents of our safe, meds and a few electronics into a carryon on bag and backpack and headed to the airport. Were on a plane within an hour.

Saw Gail and Joe on Friday and they were doing good. No way to communicate with them and honestly did not feel safe traveling. Heavily armed Dutch Marines standing at entrance to Billy Folly Road. Only let us up when we told them we were checking on a wheelchair bound friend.

Don't know honestly about travel from French side. We had planned to go check on a friend's villa on Orient Sunday am and were told it was too dangerous and we're not taking any chances.

--------------------
Elaine
God Bless the broken road....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SXMNAN
Traveler

Loc: Rhode Island
Re: URGENT Message for ALL U.S. Citizens ! get to ... [Re: BillandElaine]
      #1745223 - 09/12/17 12:14 AM (108.34.237.28)

thanks Elaine hopefully they remain safe prayers for them an all the people on island

sxmmartini
Traveler

Loc: Amityville, New York
      #1745225 - 09/12/17 12:31 AM (24.47.167.148)

Quote:

BillandElaine said:
As there was no communication about these flights (or anything else) we just took a chance when a neighbor saw folks at the airport and took his family and got them on a plane, we just dumped contents of our safe, meds and a few electronics into a carryon on bag and backpack and headed to the airport. Were on a plane within an hour.

Saw Gail and Joe on Friday and they were doing good. No way to communicate with them and honestly did not feel safe traveling. Heavily armed Dutch Marines standing at entrance to Billy Folly Road. Only let us up when we told them we were checking on a wheelchair bound friend.

Don't know honestly about travel from French side. We had planned to go check on a friend's villa on Orient Sunday am and were told it was too dangerous and we're not taking any chances.

--------------------

MotownTim
Traveler

#1745240 - 09/12/17 03:25 AM (65.23.219.34)

I was lucky also. Had no way to receive communication so just headed to the airport and was lucky to get on a flight out. My friend still has my rental car which sustained minor damage. No idea what's going to happen with that. We passed the rental car and the building was damaged and no one there.

ruralcarrierModerator

Loc: Ohio
      #1745248 - 09/12/17 05:57 AM (24.209.195.61)

Glad you guys and "MotownTim" got out and thanks for the information and verification of the from being discussed.

--------------------
J.D.

Rasputin
Traveler

Loc: here and there ...
Re: URGENT Message for ALL U.S. Citizens ! get to ... [Re: ruralcarrier]
      #1745279 - 09/12/17 08:39 AM (67.85.162.112)

Latest update from U.S. Govt:

"We encourage U.S. citizens who have successfully evacuated the hurricane affected areas to update their friends and family via social media. Friends and family of U.S. citizens in hurricane affected areas should continue to monitor the social media accounts of their loved ones.

You can inform the Department of State about U.S. citizens affected by the hurricane who require emergency assistance through the following ways:

• Visit Task Force Alert (tfa.state.gov) and select “2017 Hurricane Irma.”
If you are entering information about a U.S. citizen in Dutch St. Maarten, Anguilla, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Saba, or St. Eustatius use “Netherlands” as the Last Known Country.
If you are entering information about a U.S. citizen in the British Virgin Islands, French St. Martin, Montserrat, St. Barthélemy, or St. Kitts and Nevis, use “Barbados” as the Last Known Country.
If you are entering information about a U.S. citizen in Turks and Caicos, use “The Bahamas” as the Last Known Country.
If you have difficulty using Task Force Alert, please email IrmaEmergencyUSC@state.gov and provide as much information as possible about your loved one.

• Email IrmaEmergencyUSC@state.gov and provide as much information as possible (at a minimum, please provide their full name, gender, and last known location within country, if known).

• Call us at 1-888-407-4747 (from the U.S. & Canada), +1-202-501-4444 (from Overseas). If you are concerned about non-U.S. citizens in Saba, St Eustatius, and St Maarten, please see the Netherlands Red Cross Safe and Well website."

https://cw.usconsulate.gov/notice-u-s-citizens-aftermath-hurricane-irma-sitrep-8/

--------------------
Rah Rah Rasputin
They put some poison into his wine
He drank it all and said "I feel fine"

MotownTim
Traveler

Re: URGENT Message for ALL U.S. Citizens ! get to ... [Re: Rasputin]
      #1745284 - 09/12/17 09:10 AM (65.23.219.34)

Thanks Rasputin for all your valuable information.

Rasputin
Traveler

Re: URGENT Message for ALL U.S. Citizens ! get to ... [Re: MotownTim]
      #1745529 - 09/12/17 09:02 PM (67.85.162.112)

A new update from U.S. Govt.: (note: flights leaving as early as 8:30 a.m. !)

"Planned Flights for Wednesday, September 13:
Bring your passport and travel documents to the airport if you have them. U.S. citizens may still proceed to the airport for processing if you no longer have your documents.

Dutch St. Maarten: Several flights are planned to fly out of St. Maarten on Wednesday morning, September 13, by 0830. Flights will be boarded on a first come, first serve basis. U.S. citizens are advised to arrive at the airport as early as is safe to do so. We discourage U.S. citizens from traveling in the dark. Only service animals will be permitted to board the flights. Please note, passengers arriving at St. Maarten Airport should expect long wait times. There is no running water at the airport and very limited shelter.

The flights will travel from St. Maarten to San Juan, Puerto Rico. Onward travel arrangements from San Juan will be the responsibility of the traveler. We encourage you to closely monitor our Hurricane Irma Crisis Page for important updated information on available flights, and the operating status of U.S. embassies in the region."

https://cw.usconsulate.gov/notice-u-s-citizens-aftermath-hurricane-irma-sitrep-9/

--------------------
Rah Rah Rasputin
They put some poison into his wine
He drank it all and said "I feel fine"

Rasputin
Traveler

Re: URGENT Message for ALL U.S. Citizens ! get to ... [Re: Rasputin]
      #1745894 - 09/14/17 07:14 AM (67.85.162.112)

A U.S. Govt. update for Thursday, Sept 14th:

Dutch St. Maarten:

The Department continues to monitor requests from U.S. citizens in Sint Maarten. Concerned citizens may contact the Department at IrmaEmergencyUSC@state.gov

The Department received information that the Royal Caribbean Cruise Line ship Majesty of the Seas will make a humanitarian visit to Sint Maarten to deliver supplies and embark passengers seeking to depart the island. We understand that disembarkation will be in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Onward travel arrangements from San Juan will be the responsibility of the traveler.

In a previous evacuation, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines permitted a limited number of evacuees to embark with pets. Contact the cruise line directly with any questions at [Email]stormhelp@rccl.com.[/Email] Please note that the United States Department of Agriculture will inspect all animals upon entry to the United States at San Juan. Dogs require a valid rabies vaccination and certificate; cats do not require documentation. If you are not traveling with the original documentation, contact your veterinarian for a scanned copy of your certificate. If you do not have proper documentation for your pet, you may be required to quarantine the animal for a period to be determined by the entry agent. For more information, visit Puerto Rico Pet Import Requirements.

Commercial Evacuation Flights:

Delta Airlines will operate a humanitarian flight scheduled to arrive in Sint Maarten at 11:15 a.m. on Thursday, September 14. The flight will return to Detroit via San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Jet Blue will operate a similar flight due to arrive at 10:30 a.m bound for John F. Kennedy airport in New York.

Additionally KLM Royal Dutch Airlines expects to provide shuttle flights to Aruba on Friday, September 15.

All airlines have indicated there may be available seats on these flights for passengers wishing to depart the island.

pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
Re: URGENT Message for ALL U.S. Citizens ! get to ... *DELETED* [Re: Rasputin]
      #1745906 - 09/14/17 08:16 AM (75.133.113.202)

Post deleted by pat

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 91 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 7710

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline