Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> St. Maarten - St. Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
DavidinChelseaMA
Traveler

Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: Ted_n_Jan]
      #1745561 - 09/12/17 11:30 PM (24.34.189.240)

October 2019...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sxmmartini
Traveler

Loc: Long Island, New York
Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: whitesands]
      #1745566 - 09/12/17 11:41 PM (24.47.167.148)

Quote:

whitesands said:
My heart aches for our paradise. When are you planning on returning to the island, Either as and owner or not, 3 months? 6 months? 1 year? or more? I understand they are dependent on our tourism income, but when , realistically, will the be ready.

March 2018

--------------------

sugarae
Traveler

Loc: South Portland , Maine
Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: sxmmartini]
      #1745577 - 09/13/17 06:54 AM (72.71.236.7)

We hope to be able to return in March of 2018. All we need are a room, food, sun, sea and sand ! I was there in March 1996.

PelicanPirate
Traveler

Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: whitesands]
      #1745591 - 09/13/17 08:18 AM (24.43.241.83)

The earliest i can envision any amount of hotels being able accept reservations and airlines having enough the load factor to keep flights regularly scheduled would be 1 year from now. October 2018. More likely years later to see anything like we are accustomed to. Good to be in the roof replacement business.

I fully expect our first return to the island will be on a cruise ship for the day, hopefully renting chairs from rosie on mullet or a yellow umbrella on orient and a drink from willie. Or both. Hope they are both ok.

If we enjoy that cruise visit, we will be on another boat very soon or make a reservation somewhere we have seen.

I hate to say it, but I also see alot of the current crop of american/french residents and business entrepreneurs taking the insurance check and moving back to Small town USA or France and putting SXM paradise behind them. Im sure they will visit, just wont own or work on island.

I dont think all grasp what that storm was like to endure.

I think folks will leave everytime a hurricane is heading near, no no more riding out the storm in the condo. It will take another 20 years of cream puff storms to lure folks to "riding it out"

--------------------
Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people.
Jack Dawson - Movie Titanic

ruralcarrierModerator

Loc: Ohio
Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: PelicanPirate]
      #1745593 - 09/13/17 08:24 AM (24.209.195.61)

Quote:

I hate to say it, but I also see alot of the current crop of american/french residents and business entrepreneurs taking the insurance check and moving back to Small town USA or France and putting SXM paradise behind them. Im sure they will visit, just wont own or work on island.

You are assuming they had insurance. Trust me, not everyone has insurance. Why do you think some individuals/businesses are starting their own GoFundMe requests?

--------------------
J.D.

Ted_n_Jan
Traveler

Loc: North of Boston
      #1745603 - 09/13/17 08:50 AM (66.30.194.11)

I've been thinking about the same general idea.

We'll see how it plays out and go from there.

PelicanPirate
Traveler

Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: ruralcarrier]
      #1745604 - 09/13/17 08:51 AM (24.43.241.83)

quite the opposite, i guess i assumed any french/american/dutch transplant bright enough to buy a condo/home or run a business dwelling would have some insurance......and even they would be having second thoughts of continuing behind demolition or immediate sale after repair

Those french/american/dutch without insurance....thats tough luck and i cant imagine them doing thta twice

That said, many have insurance and will toil to rebuild paradise and hope that anothenrcat 5 doesnt happen again for another 22 years........

Ill add, the timeshare folks might be looking at big assessments i would guess.......not sure how that works..........i can see alot of people fleeing that market

Others will replace them over time. Owners, entrepreneurs, and timeshare owners........too pretty a place not to like it........

As for gofundme requests, thats a personal call,but not sure id pump,money into an undefined request fromsomeone imdont know.

Cash has a strange effect on people ans thats why accountants usually like the two person rule to ensure thentheft has an accomplice.

--------------------
Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people.

Edited by PelicanPirate (09/13/17 08:55 AM)

sxmmartini
Traveler

Loc: Long Island, New York
      #1745609 - 09/13/17 09:00 AM (24.47.167.148)

My neighbor self insured his villa in SXM. He took a chance and deposited his money in a bank for the villa. 22 years later at 5k per year is 110k.

--------------------

thebowl
Traveler

#1745611 - 09/13/17 09:02 AM (107.1.119.41)

It's too soon to do anything besides guess at the answer to that question. This is unprecedented in terms of the degree of damage, and we live in a changing world, when it comes to international cooperation. There is simply no way to see into the future.

I have week 9 at Royal Palm, which is regatta weekend. Will they be ready for me? I have already stated that I will go back as soon as I am comfortable that I won't be in the way. I don't need everything back to normal, which is never going to happen, in any event.

One of two things will happen. Either it will become clear in the next month or so that March 2018 is out of the question (maybe Royal Palm will make that decision for me), or I may wind up deciding at the last minute to go or not. Short of RP being closed, I'm not even clear on how I will know what the right answer is, although this message board will play a role, in terms of providing a picture of how things are progressing.

PelicanPirate
Traveler

Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: sxmmartini]
      #1745614 - 09/13/17 09:04 AM (24.43.241.83)

Is that enough?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 73 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 7403

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline