Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> St. Maarten - St. Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
ruralcarrierModerator

Loc: Ohio
Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: sxmmartini]
      #1745615 - 09/13/17 09:04 AM (24.209.195.61)

Self-insured (and depositing the $$) is one thing. Not having insurance, starting your own GoFundMe account due to you choosing NOT to buy insurance on your business and asking others to finance you is another.

--------------------
J.D.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ritchard
Traveler

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: PelicanPirate]
      #1745622 - 09/13/17 09:20 AM (70.54.142.249)

We're scheduled for mid feb, and I vacillate between believing it's possible to have lodgings and believing it's impossible. I also vacillate between wishing to go and spend my tourist dollars, and not wanting to be either in the way, or be utterly disheartened by the still-evident disaster.

A more noble version of me says go and help in any way you can. I have booked travel for me, my wife, and my two strapping sons. Surely we could all be of use?

--------------------

jaxon60
Traveler

Loc: Okanagan Valley, BC, Canada
Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: ruralcarrier]
      #1745623 - 09/13/17 09:22 AM (172.218.171.127)

On the French side, there is the Natural Disaster Insurance. According to an article on St Martin's Week FB page, it does cover wind/storm damage for territories like St Martin.

According to that article it should take 2 to 3 months to pay out.

--------------------
[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

PelicanPirate
Traveler

Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: jaxon60]
      #1745628 - 09/13/17 09:28 AM (24.43.241.83)

What do they get.......is that a free govt insurance......if i have a shack do i get a new shack, or a better building? if inhave a 10 bedroom villa do i get a new one or am i limited to basic shack payout.

Just using ref shack for extremes.

If i get a new 10'room villa, good deal.

--------------------
Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people.
Jack Dawson - Movie Titanic

CJIMI
Traveler

Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: PelicanPirate]
      #1745651 - 09/13/17 10:34 AM (71.225.66.182)

We were scheduled to return next March. Then, I saw a photo of the Blue Bay Beach Hotel, in yesterday's edition of the New York Times. Complete devastation. I cannot imagine that they will be up and running by next March. I called AA last night, and was able to cancel. I cannot contact the hotel. We re-booked for a trip to Martinique, on Norwegian Air, out of JFK.

Tom
Traveler

Loc: Hershey, Pennsylvania
Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: whitesands]
      #1745669 - 09/13/17 11:08 AM (98.235.97.123)

Everything at this point is speculation. Many of you do not remember Luis. Likely the area of the island and the degree of damage will dictate how quickly a resort or restaurant rebuilds and is ready for business. We decided to go on our vacation a little more than 3 months after Luis. There were fewer buildings on the island at that time but I recall almost all losing their roofs. Large resorts like Dawn Beach and Divi Little were virtually destroyed. And, yes some people lost everything because of the storm and others lost because some resort owners/managers took TS and or insurance $ and left the island. Same immediate problems; no electric, no water, debris everywhere. That year we sometimes did not have hot water and or air conditioning. Some restaurants were open, others were not ready yet.
We had a great vacation. Glass half empty or half full?

EdB
Traveler

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: whitesands]
      #1745687 - 09/13/17 11:49 AM (170.250.49.21)

Hoping beyond hope....March 2018.

pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: EdB]
      #1745696 - 09/13/17 12:17 PM (75.133.113.202)

Likewise, Ed. I hope as the time draws nearer we may hear good news, but in absolute honesty, I am not terribly optimistic. The pictures we're seeing of the entire island are heart-breaking, for sure.

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

VitaMan
Traveler

Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: EdB]
      #1745697 - 09/13/17 12:19 PM (71.206.204.8)

I don't think that's necessarily so unrealistic. I'm sure the gov'ts on the island want to salvage as much of the High Season as possible, so they'll be working on debris removal, general clean-up, and infrastructure around the clock. Also, well-funded property owners of hotels, resorts, condo developments, villas, and some restaurants and other shops will get moving quickly as well. The idea is to get people back working as quickly as possible. Sure, there will still be plenty of visual evidence of the remnants of the hurricane on display for all to see, but at least the island will be open for business. I can see tourist traffic starting to trickle back in March or April. Once the tourists start to return, then smaller businesses will also start to re-open.

tonydead
Traveler

Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: VitaMan]
      #1745702 - 09/13/17 12:30 PM (108.171.130.187)

Call me crazy, but, I haven't given up hope (yet) for our trip planned for November. The company we rent our secret little villa from has confirmed it did not sustain any structural damage to the building (porch and deck gone) so lodging wouldn't be an issue.

Availability of food and safety, who knows?

We should probably come to grips that our plans for a wedding are gone, but, if it is safe to travel we will gladly go spend tourist money as soon as we can to help get things back to normal.

The company we rent our villa from has cancelled all reservations for October and will inform us on November reservations by September 30th. And so on for each month after that.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 6130

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline