Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> St. Maarten - St. Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
SandS
Traveler

Loc: Western MA
Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: whitesands]
      #1745706 - 09/13/17 12:52 PM (71.10.229.24)

I would love to go back in Feb. It may even be possible because some of the buildings at SBR look like they were in pretty good shape but do I want to? Will there be roads, rental cars, restaurants? Do I want to be at a resort surrounded by damage, Flamingo & La Vista looked pretty bad. Will it be safe? My heart aches for the residents whose livelihood depends on tourism but safety comes first.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KGB
Traveler

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: tonydead]
      #1745709 - 09/13/17 01:03 PM (68.150.82.116)

We were booked for the end of March 2018 but I emailed to cancel - haven't heard back yet from the property owner...
Here are my 2 cents: I don't think the island gonna be ready for the winter 2017-2018 ceason. First of all, the majority of the supplies to the island including all the building materials are coming from Florida, and Florida right now needs them all to rebuild, so as Huston...
Second, the rebuilding will take lots of manpower to do it all at once kinda thing... I don't think that the island has enough human resources and qualified workers for that.
And the last and probably the most important thing to me is safety. I'm afraid that coming too early will put you in danger of been targeted by criminals. They may declare an "open ceason" on tourists just because we represent such an easy target.
Those are just my thought - you don't have to agree with me.

--------------------
"Often Wrong, Never in Doubt"

Ritchard
Traveler

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: KGB]
      #1745730 - 09/13/17 01:52 PM (99.254.160.177)

I am not worried about personal safety should we be able to go in Feb. I would think that if the governments wish to push for getting the tourist traffic returning this upcoming high season, they'll have extra security personnel in place to make sure there are no safety issues popping up to damage the reputation of the place.

--------------------

RICKnGRACE_LI_NY
Traveler

Loc: Long Island, NY
Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: KGB]
      #1745752 - 09/13/17 02:46 PM (67.86.221.25)

Quote:

KGB said:
We were booked for the end of March 2018 but I emailed to cancel - haven't heard back yet from the property owner...
Here are my 2 cents: I don't think the island gonna be ready for the winter 2017-2018 ceason. First of all, the majority of the supplies to the island including all the building materials are coming from Florida, and Florida right now needs them all to rebuild, so as Huston...
Second, the rebuilding will take lots of manpower to do it all at once kinda thing... I don't think that the island has enough human resources and qualified workers for that.
And the last and probably the most important thing to me is safety. I'm afraid that coming too early will put you in danger of been targeted by criminals. They may declare an "open ceason" on tourists just because we represent such an easy target.
Those are just my thought - you don't have to agree with me.

To your second point I agree. And we can't forget that that many other Islands, Barbuda, St Bart's, Anguilla, and the BVIs and the USVIs are going to need manpower also. I fear a slow rebuild.

To your third point I am afraid that the amount of lawlessness may be prolonged by the slow rebuild. I may be wrong and some please feel free to correct me, but I do not recall similar stories after Luis. If the rebuild is slow and the tourism rebound is slow, I am fearful the the "looters" may prey upon the early returners. To be honest there has not been a lot of "policeing" by either side of late.

--------------------
Rick and Grace

johnhill
Traveler

Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: whitesands]
      #1745785 - 09/13/17 04:37 PM (67.248.53.222)

I have been listening to Laser 101 radio day after day and today they reported that electrical power has been restored in numerous areas of the island. Also encouraging to hear that many volunteers and paid staff are working to clean up Phillipsburg. Today Laser announced a cleanup at the airport is continuing and this includes paid and volunteer staff. Gasoline stations are opening with a limit of us $20 or 36 guilders cash. Laser also announces area cleanups and areas where volunteers are needed. I am more optimistic today than yesterday-areas of the island will open for high season!!!!

kccouple
Traveler

Loc: Kansas City Missouri
Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: Ted_n_Jan]
      #1745789 - 09/13/17 04:49 PM (70.195.7.8)

This is not the USA.It will take a long long time.Every single thing they need has to be imported. I would not being worrying about my vacation,these people don't even have running water.The electric company has trouble providing service in good weather and I believe they are the same people that provide water in the Dutch side.

Hdrdr911
Traveler

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: kccouple]
      #1745816 - 09/13/17 07:02 PM (66.31.253.152)

It will depend completely on the French and Dutch governments and thier commitment to the citizens of the island. Infrastructure is critical and must be the first priority of the restoration. Macrons unrealistic move away from tourism will be an impediment to reconstruction.

--------------------
If the phone doesn't ring .... it's me

PelicanPirate
Traveler

Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: Hdrdr911]
      #1745823 - 09/13/17 07:10 PM (24.43.241.83)

He also mentioned that he would help residents who wanted to leave the island altogether..........diversify their geography

--------------------
Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people.
Jack Dawson - Movie Titanic

320sycamore
Traveler

Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: PelicanPirate]
      #1745863 - 09/13/17 10:05 PM (71.89.12.224)

March, 2018 and with order restored, basic infrastructure functioning, local people working and progress underway - then the least affected tourist businesses will start operating again
But that is not going to happen unless the Dutch and French governments take good care of this bigtime humanitarian crisis right now.

PKwx
Traveler

Loc: Philly
Re: Realistic time frame to return [Re: PelicanPirate]
      #1745866 - 09/13/17 10:18 PM (69.249.242.189)

3-4 years and not another 10 till its fully back. Much of the buildup has occurred since Louis plus more. It took 22 to get this this point it's not going to get rebuilt overnight. Lack of skilled labor, between all the damage in the Island and the US...the trades are going to be plenty busy...unless it comes from Europe. Lots of folks will give up and leave but others will see it as a opertunity and build. All this will take a long time. How many year did it take Dawn Beach to be rebuilt and Mullet to be torn down after Louis? Get my point. St Martin will never be the same, it will be different. Some will like it more and others will not.

Now look at the other side...It will be like going to St Martin 25 years ago...for awhile...cozy beach bar shacks..no mega bars on OB...Lolos once agin cooking out of drums...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 137 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 6012

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline