Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> St. Maarten - St. Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
irish1223
Traveler

Loc: originally NY/now Tennessee
Re: other options? [Re: deputydog1157]
      #1746591 - 09/17/17 02:01 PM (96.38.120.77)

Quote:

deputydog1157 said:
I checked out their website and tried to get more information about the resort. Without any first hand knowledge the website for The Natural makes it appear that it may cater to lifestyle guests, which my wife and I are definitely not part of. I'm leaning toward Couples San Souci in April for our first C/O venture.

We did not book at The Natural in Curacao. We just wanted our beach vacation and have booked at the Avila Resort for 10 days. Will definitely miss SXM this year, but don't want to vacation there with all the sad destruction and without too many resources (restaurants, supermarkets, rentals cars, etc). Even though they may need our tourist dollars, I'm not convinced that using up whatever precious resources they manage to get back over the next few months is the right thing to do. Hopefully will get back there soon.

Curacao sits outside the hurricane zone, so hopefully we will be alright in that regard.

--------------------
Robin & Ed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LBI2SXM
Traveler

Re: other options? [Re: irish1223]
      #1746597 - 09/17/17 02:31 PM (73.112.165.173)

You will like Curacao. No, it is not SXM but not a bad alternative. Avila is a nice hotel.

RICKnGRACE_LI_NY
Traveler

Loc: Long Island, NY
Re: other options? [Re: LBI2SXM]
      #1746654 - 09/17/17 08:24 PM (74.74.122.108)

Quote:

LBI2SXM said:
You will like Curacao. No, it is not SXM but not a bad alternative. Avila is a nice hotel.

Exactly true, not SXM but a really nice Island

--------------------
Rick and Grace

PKwx
Traveler

Loc: Philly
Re: other options? [Re: RICKnGRACE_LI_NY]
      #1746666 - 09/17/17 10:03 PM (69.249.242.189)

No indifference here but I assume as us, many who visit the island are of limited time off and means and while we would like to support the islands we won't be returning until there is a whole vacation experience... beach, lodging and food. When you only have 7-10 days a year to travel you want to have the best time you can which is why we have traveled to St Martin so frequently...it's the complete package. Then of course there are all the life long friends we have meet who also return the same time year after year. It's hard not returning for perhaps years to come.

Having spent 6 months in New Orleans as part of the post Katrina recovery effort I can honestly say it's going to be years considering the destruction was so much worse. I hope we are surprised . Yes there will be pockets of recovery and if we had many weeks to vacation a year we would give it a go. Until then I assume many including us will not be returning for a while. So at best 2019 but most likely not until 2020 till we return, So options are the Costa del Sol in Spain (Vera Playa) expect Nov through March appears to be very beach weather friendly. The cost of accommodations (rental apartment is $60-90 a night far better then Club O and makes the cost the same when you add in the extra cost of airfare. There are even indoor heated pool and outdoor pools. So will give that a try and spread our wings a bit. Will surely miss St Martin but this give us a push to experience more of the world.

Ted_n_Jan
Traveler

Loc: North of Boston
Re: other options? [Re: PKwx]
      #1746674 - 09/17/17 11:28 PM (66.30.194.11)

You are right of course. We absolutely love St Martin, have been going for 20 years and have many friends on the island.

We very much want to support our friends, but we are getting older, don't have unlimited funds, but do need a place to get away to and relax.

So, as painful as it might be to us, for a while we will have to seek out other alternatives.

We just hope that "a while" is not a long time.

RABBY
Traveler

Loc: Royersford, PA
Re: other options? [Re: deputydog1157]
      #1746699 - 09/18/17 09:32 AM (66.117.196.248)

Quote:

deputydog1157 said:
I checked out their website and tried to get more information about the resort. Without any first hand knowledge the website for The Natural makes it appear that it may cater to lifestyle guests, which my wife and I are definitely not part of. I'm leaning toward Couples San Souci in April for our first C/O venture.

Not quite sure where you gleaned the information that The Natural may be a "lifestyle" resort. It is actually the opposite. My husband and I do not partake in any "lifestyle" resorts. We did a lot of research on the resort before booking. They get five star reviews and it's mentioned numerous places that they, in fact, do not allow any type of "bachelor parties" or that sort of thing. Their regulations/rules are clearly listed on their email reply to us after we booked. Just wanted to clear up any confusion.

--------------------
..."there's this one particular harbor"....

tonydead
Traveler

Re: other options? [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1746703 - 09/18/17 10:25 AM (108.171.130.187)

Quote:

Carol_Hill said:
OK, thanks for that info. Once we get electric back at home, I will begin trying to compile a list of what is supposed to reopen and when.

I just hope Maria stays far enough away to not do any MORE damage..

Not sure where to post and probably already mentioned somewhere, but, Toppers is supposedly already open again.

deputydog1157
Traveler

Loc: FL
Re: other options? [Re: RABBY]
      #1746722 - 09/18/17 11:42 AM (199.47.250.131)

Thanks for clearing up any confusion on my part.

--------------------

redwritr
Traveler

Re: other options? [Re: Kamehameha]
      #1746744 - 09/18/17 02:32 PM (192.171.44.177)

also in jamaica is couples tower isle resort, they have a private island which is mandatory fully nude for couples only, they serve lunch on the island, have a full bar and a nice pool, its takes about 5 min to shuttle to the island from the mainland and you can get a shuttle any time

SXMBND
Traveler

Loc: South Coast of MA
Re: other options? [Re: Bob_Dot]
      #1746769 - 09/18/17 07:21 PM (65.96.96.4)

Quote:

Bob_Dot said:
Mary's Boon has targeted October 30th to reopen.

Can you go without pants there???

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 76 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 9775

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline