Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> St. Maarten - St. Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
320sycamore
Traveler

Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Why no Reports from Orient Beach? [Re: SXMScubaman]
      #1752590 - 11/30/17 11:09 PM (71.89.12.224)

Sorry, dude, wasn't looking for a squabble.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SXMScubaman
Traveler

Loc: Auburn, WA
Re: Why no Reports from Orient Beach? [Re: 320sycamore]
      #1752591 - 11/30/17 11:21 PM (174.216.26.178)

No squable. Just stating a fact.

320sycamore
Traveler

Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Why no Reports from Orient Beach? [Re: SXMScubaman]
      #1752592 - 11/30/17 11:35 PM (71.89.12.224)

Friend, I mean no harm. My only point was for a thread attracting nearly 9,000 views, Orient Beach must be a significant attraction.
Please, no offense is intended.

kim
Traveler

Loc: Newtown, CT
Re: Why no Reports from Orient Beach? [Re: 320sycamore]
      #1752600 - 12/01/17 07:30 AM (70.214.97.178)

Seems like those that are so “pro” Orient are trying to pit the one beach against the rest of the island - “my beach is more important than the rest”. I check this post many times hoping to read something about keeping it more subdued and NOT adding back the circus atmosphere. Not directed at you but in general.

ruralcarrierModerator

Loc: Ohio
Re: Why no Reports from Orient Beach? [Re: kim]
      #1752601 - 12/01/17 07:43 AM (24.209.195.61)

Very well stated.

While I do not go back as far as you and your family, Orient of 25+ years ago was vastly different back then. Yes, Club Orient was there and was very popular but the "circus" atmosphere was not there.

I went for probably a 5 year stretch without going to Orient. Unless I had new visitors with me, I had no desire to make the drive (and possible consequences) from Simpson Bay. I do still enjoy a day on Orient but I also preferred the more laid back and simpler Orient of years ago.

To each their own.

--------------------
J.D.

Bob_Dot
Traveler

Loc: North Kingstown, Rhode Island
Re: Why no Reports from Orient Beach? [Re: ruralcarrier]
      #1752604 - 12/01/17 08:27 AM (24.250.61.32)

We started going to SXM in the mid-90s and really enjoyed the many friendships that developed at the Bikini Beach Bar. When Andy and Cheryl moved to the beach it just added to the party.
In the late 90s we bought at Mary's Boon but continued day trips to see our friends at Orient.
We stopped going when Andy passed away and Elisa got robbed out of her place.
It is a nice beach but the difference isn't worth the traffic and what were parking issues and cruise ship based crowds.

SXMScubaman
Traveler

Loc: Auburn, WA
Re: Why no Reports from Orient Beach? [Re: Bob_Dot]
      #1752610 - 12/01/17 10:53 AM (174.216.26.178)

We used to go to orient multiple times in our 4 week stay. Didn't make it once last trip.

pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
Re: Why no Reports from Orient Beach? [Re: Bob_Dot]
      #1752613 - 12/01/17 11:07 AM (75.133.113.202)

Another perspective, perhaps?

Our first trip to St. Maarten/St. Martin dates back to the early 70's and while Orient was not the first beach we visited - that would have been Mullet - we visited it nonetheless.

It was a totally different place than what many of you 'late comers' to the island who arrived say in the last 20-25 years knew. It was a pristine area that was actually difficult to locate coming from 'the other side' of the island. But find it we did and the only thing there that I can honestly recall was the earliest days of Orient Beach Club aka the 'nudist camp' and it was tucked away at the end of the beach pretty much away from all else. And for the record - 'all else' would include the occasion stray cow or donkey, and the sea grape and various other island flora and fauna that grew there in profusion along with the original restaurant on the beach - a 55 gal. drum morphed into a BBQ grill from which came some incredibly good eats.

It was truly a heavenly kind of place - no crowds at all - you could wander the full length of the beach and maybe encounter 2-3 small clusters of people seeking their privacy and a few more people mostly as you neared the Club O location.

Over the years that original BBQ grill eatery evolved into a profusion of shacks, huts and eventually, some pretty nice eateries and boutiques and even a few hotels with many local entrepreneurs settling in to earn a living there.

And the people came. And the more it was 'talked about' via the internet and hyped as a 'site to see', the more the people came and the development kept increasing.

Now here's where I get into trouble, and know, please, I'm not talking about the Club Orient property specifically but the beach pretty much over all - to me it took on a circus-like atmosphere of people trying to see and be seen. Not everyone, of course, but too many for my tastes. And with the profusion of information out there about this beach, it became to many of us just another cruise ship attraction - often times loud and boisterous people imbibing too freely of the various island libations along the route and all too often, displaying some pretty tacky behaviors.

Many feel this, more so than anything else lead to the decline in favorability of this beach for so many of us. But in the end, nature took its' course and Irma returned the beach to that which many of us knew and originally fell in love with.

I know there are many who will take issue with me, but for as long as it lasts, I would be inclined to rediscover what little is left of the old Orient, and for those who long for the up-scale eateries, accommodations, beach chaises and umbrellas, crowds and all the like, don't fret too much, it will return again and perhaps a lot quicker than it did the first time around.

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

RICKnGRACE_LI_NY
Traveler

Loc: Long Island, NY
Re: Why no Reports from Orient Beach? [Re: pat]
      #1752616 - 12/01/17 12:02 PM (24.184.24.200)

We think it is an unbelievably beautiful stretch of beach. When we started going in the early 90's it wasn't too bad. Obviously nothing like you encountered in the 70's Pat. As it got more and more "Circus or Carnival" like we stopped.

If it stayed more low key, we would go back. If not, there are a lot of beaches to choose from.

--------------------
Rick and Grace

Biturbo
Traveler

Loc: Royersford, PA (30m NW of Phil...
Re: Why no Reports from Orient Beach? [Re: pat]
      #1752618 - 12/01/17 12:12 PM (71.224.168.103)

Pat, I'm not taking issue with you, and never would. Your posts are always well thought out, worded, and appreciated.
But, you and others have mentioned a "circus like atmosphere", which we have never experienced while staying at Club O many times. Maybe we just went on the wrong weeks, but we've found it to nothing but laid back, relaxing and friendly.
We started going to the island in '85, and can remember lying on the beach, above the rocks, using a sea grape tree for shade, and having the pristine beach almost to ourselves.
Now, we seldom would venture north of the rocks, except for an occasional lunch at one of our favs - and there were some excellent choices there.
The only "circus type atmosphere" happened when Da Party Bus would park next to the wall, music and sirens blaring, to allow the gawkers on top of it to hold up their phones to take pictures of the guests.
We were scheduled to stay there last month, and were sad when Irma changed that. But, we just lost a vacation. Others lost much more than that.
And, no, I'm not saying that "our" beach is better or more important than any other. It's just our preference.

--------------------
"It's a magic kind of medicine, that no doctor could prescribe." JB

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 11636

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline