Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> SXM People Talk

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
jazzgal
Traveler

Loc: Portland, OR
TSA Pre-Check
      #1577517 - 03/24/14 10:27 PM (174.25.166.157)

I've just been approved for TSA Pre-Check. It cost $85 and is good for five years. No more taking shoes off or unpacking liquids or laptop. I applied on line, was given an appointment to be finger-printed, and just received my Known Traveler Number in today's mail. I'm a Happy Camper.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
madisoncty
Traveler

Loc: Winterset, Madison County, IA
Re: TSA Pre-Check [Re: jazzgal]
      #1577524 - 03/24/14 11:18 PM (199.120.87.149)

If I might ask, where did you have to go for your prints? A federal facility or somewhere local?

--------------------
Mike & Dixie

Barbara
Traveler

Loc: St. Maarten
Re: TSA Pre-Check [Re: madisoncty]
      #1577548 - 03/25/14 07:25 AM (208.251.135.189)

I am sitting in JB terminal at JFK on my way home and had TSA pre check stamped on my boarding pass. How did I get that? I never applied for it..not complaining though

--------------------
http://barcann.livejournal.com/

WayneH
Traveler

Loc: Londonderry, N.H.
Re: TSA Pre-Check [Re: Barbara]
      #1577550 - 03/25/14 07:30 AM (75.68.41.204)

Barbara,

I agree. This happened to me when I went to Key West last December. I never applied for anything but it was stamped right on my boarding pass. Same thing happened when I printed out the return passes for Key West to Boston. However, the Pre-Check isn't allowed in Key West. Something about them being too small or not being set up for it. So, this begs the question, what are people paying $85 for? Or are they confusing TSA Pre-Check with Global Entry? Global Entry is the one that you have to be fingerprinted for.

Wayne <><

bonsie
Traveler

Loc: CT.
Re: TSA Pre-Check [Re: Barbara]
      #1577555 - 03/25/14 08:02 AM (69.124.223.169)

The TSA precheck is a completely random pick. This has happened twice to my wife and I, and both times it was she who was picked . She went thru security in 9 minutes and was reading a book for one hour before I made it thru the security line. The global entry is wonderful for getting quickly thru immigration, but, you then have to wait for checked bags the same as everyone else.

NJHarry
Traveler

Loc: New Jersey
Re: TSA Pre-Check [Re: bonsie]
      #1577560 - 03/25/14 08:21 AM (24.185.152.92)

WayneH and Barbara, Airlines can nominate their frequent flyers for acceptance into the TSA precheck program. Perhaps your airline nominated you because you met their criteria.

kim
Traveler

Loc: Newtown, CT
Re: TSA Pre-Check [Re: NJHarry]
      #1577574 - 03/25/14 09:02 AM (24.151.45.6)

Both myself and. my son had "TSA PRECHECK" on our tickets but my husband did not upon leaving sxm. We had no idea what it ment?

marybeth
Traveler

Loc: Rhode Island
Re: TSA Pre-Check [Re: kim]
      #1577583 - 03/25/14 09:18 AM (100.40.106.44)

There is no Pre-Check line at PJIA so you'll use the regular security lines. Personally I love Pre-Check which I get thru Delta (probably cuz of my FF status) as I have never applied for it. Don never has applied either and he is assigned Pre-Check if we're on the same ticket. Saves us oodles of time in Atlanta but you do have to be careful. Not all Pre-Check lines have the body scanners & Don cannot go thru the magnetron scanner at all & I have 2 artificial hips so we have to get wanded depending on the departure airport.

--------------------
MB

Unregistered

Re: TSA Pre-Check [Re: marybeth]
      #1577605 - 03/25/14 10:34 AM (98.227.230.197)

I did a bit of research on the difference to solidify this in my mind. My husband and I have been TSA pre-check for a few years. We were selected by our airlines as we are both FF.
If you are not selected by the airlines you can apply for TSA pre-check for $85. TSA pre-check and Global Entry ($100 Fee) require interviews and fingerprinting.
The benefits of TSA precheck are "No Removal of:Belt, Shoes, Light outerwear/jacket, 3-1-1 compliant bag and laptop from carry-on."

According to the TSA website it can be used for international departure. "TSA PreCheck is available for passengers traveling domestically within the United States and for international travel when departing from a U.S. airport that participates in TSA PreCheck. Passengers may also be eligible for TSA PreCheck when connecting to a domestic flight after arriving to the United States on international travel." When we first got TSA pre-check this wasn't the case.

"Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States.Global Entry members are eligible for TSA PreCheck benefits."

If traveling solely within the US TSA Precheck works fine but for international travel Global Entry is the way to go. Also there is no guarantee that if you are in either program that you will be able to use as there are random screening.
This is it in a nutshell, hope it helps.

Unregistered

Re: TSA Pre-Check [Re: jazzgal]
      #1577622 - 03/25/14 11:18 AM (173.3.244.187)

left jfk to sxm, no removing shoes, belt, jacket, breezed right thru...though they did do a chemical wand test on my hands...coming home from sxm to jfk, same thing, no shoe removal, nothing removed from carryon, then was boarded with first class group...never applied for any tsa precheck, fly basically once per year...was an easy one this year!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 8469

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline