Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> SXM People Talk

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
lbksxm
Traveler

Loc: Cupecoy, St. Maarten
Buying a New Car On Island
      #1582145 - 04/11/14 11:28 AM (72.252.14.184)

Our car is 14 years old and in bad shape and we need to buy a new car on the island. Has anyone purchased a new car on island? Can you negotiate the purchase price similar to the U.S.? I've heard that the new cars here are designed to a different specification that is not as stringent as the U.S. We would rather buy a new car on island for convenience but we will also fly to Miami, buy one, then ship it down if that is the best option. Any input from someone who has purchased or shipped a new car to SXM would be greatly appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kennys
Sponsor

Re: Buying a New Car On Island [Re: lbksxm]
      #1582148 - 04/11/14 11:51 AM (72.252.9.50)

New car prices are fixed at all the Dealerships on the Island; however they do have deals available.

Unregistered

#1582204 - 04/11/14 03:50 PM (208.91.192.73)

We shipped 2 cars from Miami to St. Martin a few years ago because cars are very expensive on Island. It cost $2300 each to ship a car using Four Star Cargo in Point Blanche across from the cruise ship pier. You may want to think twice about buying a new car to drive in St. Martin. I bought a 2005 with 55,000 miles on it, shipped it here 4 yrs ago and it still has less than 60,000 miles on it. With routine maintainence it has remained in excellent condition in spite of the pot holes. Good luck.

soualigacapt
Traveler

Loc: Oyster Pond St. Martin
Re: Buying a New Car On Island [Re: Anonymous]
      #1582406 - 04/12/14 08:04 PM (190.102.4.213)

we bought our first car at Motorworld on the island. Negotiated down to $12,000 from $12,500. Had the car 8 years and sold it to my son who had it repainted and rust fixed. Now it looks like new. 40,000 KM.

We shopped for a new car. Had our hearts set on a Kia Soul.

Only sold on the island on the French side. Priced in Euros but I'm sure the dealer paid $ so for what they offered the price was too high. Shopped online in Florida and bought a brand new 2013 Soul with an upgraded size engine and lots of extras for much less that the base model being sold on the french side. Even with shipping of $2300 it was cheaper to buy in Miami and ship it here. The dealer in Miami was kind enough to just drive the car to 4 Star cargo for me. You have to look for a dealer that will sell the car for export or you will have to pay Florida sales tax and high florida license plate fees.

lbksxm
Traveler

Loc: Cupecoy, St. Maarten
Re: Buying a New Car On Island [Re: soualigacapt]
      #1582853 - 04/14/14 06:28 PM (72.252.14.184)

Thank you for your response. We appreciate it!

Unregistered

#1583417 - 04/16/14 08:30 PM (98.156.86.237)

Just curious. I buy salvage cars and have them repaired for personal use. Occasionally, I see cars in the U.S. Listed as "for export only, can not title in US." What are the laws on either side do St.Maarten/St. Martin concerning bringing in cars that have salvage titles or titles "for export only?"

Gerald_Hill
Traveler

Loc: Northern Virginia
Re: Buying a New Car On Island [Re: Anonymous]
      #1583856 - 04/18/14 07:12 PM (76.111.119.234)

In regard to exporting a “Motor Vehicle” from the US, the owner must provide to Customs and Border Protection a “Certificate of Title” or “Salvage Title”. For newly manufactured vehicles that are purchased from a US manufacturer, distributer or dealer, a “Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO)” must be provided.

The Vehicle must be registered with US Customs 72 hours prior to shipping.

For more information, please see the following:
https://help.export.gov/link/portal/2802...-Motor-Vehicles

Since they advertise “can not Title in US”, makes me wonder how they get around the above requirements. If I were to guess, the VIN will not show up on the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (or show up as stolen).

http://www.vehiclehistory.gov/index.html

Excerpt from website above:

Do we need to report junk or salvage vehicles that we know will be sold later?

Yes. Reporting entities must provide NMVTIS with the following information on each junk and salvage vehicle received into inventory every month (from April 2009 forward):

• The name, address, and contact information for the reporting entity.
• Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
• Date the automobile was obtained.
• Name of the individual or entity from whom the automobile was obtained.
• A statement of whether the automobile was crushed or disposed of, or offered for sale or other purposes. To whom the vehicle was provided or transferred.
Whether the vehicle is intended for export out of the United States

NMVTIS was created in 1992 as part of the Anti-Car Theft Improvements Act and is used to combat “Car Cloning” and other forms of auto theft.

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2009/march/cloning_032409/

As to “Importing” a vehicle to St. Maarten, I have no idea.

CLEM
Traveler

Loc: BRISTOL, RI
      #1584050 - 04/19/14 05:34 PM (68.230.138.36)

I bought a new car at Motor World 6 years ago.Very little negotiating. Great island car.No airbags. Much cheaper than US, probably because of less safety features

--------------------
CLEM

soualigacapt
Traveler

Loc: Oyster Pond St. Martin
Re: Buying a New Car On Island [Re: CLEM]
      #1584105 - 04/19/14 10:27 PM (190.102.4.213)

Cheaper because there is no tariff that the US puts on foreign cars to make the price close to what US made cars cost. Cars here are duty free.

irina
Traveler

Loc: MIA
      #1584402 - 04/21/14 03:48 PM (108.199.90.84)

I was told that new cars purchased on island would not meet US emission standards. I was told this by our sales man at Marshall Motors.
irina

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 4624

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline