Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> SXM People Talk

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
silverfox82
Traveler

Loc: sebastian florida
whole house surge proctector
      #1591411 - 05/26/14 06:59 PM (69.254.25.16)

I moved to Florida 2 months ago and the learning curve is rather steep. I have never had an AC (lived on the beach in NY and didn't need one)a garage door opener, a sprinkler system or a well for household water. I seem to be OK with all of that now but I'm getting spooked about killing the big item stuff with a power surge from lightning strikes. I see whole house surge protectors installed on the service panel as preventative, is it necessary and do they work? Most importantly, how much$$$

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GaKaye
Traveler

Loc: Peaceful Eastern North Carolin...
Re: whole house surge proctector [Re: silverfox82]
      #1591414 - 05/26/14 07:38 PM (70.193.21.29)

We live in rural Eastern North Carolina; our house is in the middle of what was once a tobacco field. Our electric company offered us a whole-house surge protector, and it was free. We pay a monthly fee; I think it's $5 or so. If you're with Duke Energy in Florida, they probably have the same.

Bill_S
Traveler

Loc: Southern Maryland suburbs of D...
      #1591415 - 05/26/14 07:56 PM (69.255.96.96)

First the bonafides... I was in the last class of Electrical Engineering graduates at Syracuse that were forced to pass "Heavy Electric Power Generation and Distribution" as a required course before the emphasis shifted to Electronics in my Junior year... ...and yes, I graduated with my BSEE.

The second of my bonifides is that my first USAF assignment after graduation was at Patrick AFB in Cocoa Beach working on the Space Programs...including Apollo...

Lightning in Florida is regular, intense, and powerful! So here are my recommendations:

- yes, have the whole house surge protectors installed as your first priority.

- yes, install an "appliance surge protector" inline with EVERY appliance which has an electronic control panel...

- yes, protect all your consumer electronics like TVs, Computers and Peripherals, Stereos, iPad chargers, etc. etc.etc with surge protector power strips.

- these are not alternatives...do them ALL...

My BOQ roommate at Patrick (also a BSEE) and I would call Florida thunder storms "Whiz-Bangers" due to the short interval between the flash and the bang...

Summer is here...prepare!

--------------------
Bill

silverfox82
Traveler

Re: whole house surge proctector [Re: Bill_S]
      #1591416 - 05/26/14 08:26 PM (69.254.25.16)

Thanks, we have FPL and I don't see anything on their website so I will give them a call tomorrow. I suppose I could also get an electrician to install one and there would be no "rent" but probably no warrantee either. I have the computers on plug in surge protectors and will hit the depot tomorrow for another for the living room tv. Since they are also hooked up to cable do I need something for the coax coming in? btw, drove by Patrick afb last week, what a great place to be stationed.

JimCandD
Traveler

#1591417 - 05/26/14 08:41 PM (74.221.72.246)

A few years ago our house was hit. It came in through the ground and fried a TV, the internet router, our treadmill (I didn't use it much anyway, fried the phone box on the outside of our house, surprisingly ruined bulbs in our chandelier that we had unscrewed to save electricity, popped many breakers as well as the external main breaker. We thought that the electricity was out on the road, but in checking with the closest neighbors (1/4th of a mile away) their electricity was still on and told us of a close strike by our house. I don't know about this whole house thing, but it might have helped in our case. Since then we have done other things to help.

kim
Traveler

Loc: Newtown, CT
      #1591426 - 05/26/14 09:40 PM (24.151.45.6)

We own an electrical business of about 9 employees in CT. When we install whole house standby generators we offer the whole house surge protector, and it's an additional $450.00 installed at time of generator installation if that helps!

Bill_S
Traveler

#1591446 - 05/27/14 06:28 AM (69.255.96.96)

Yes, being stationed at Patrick after having spent the first 22 years of life living in Syracuse NY was a real treat!

For your TV and associated electronics - look for a surge protector power strip that also has coax connectors and phone jacks in addition to the AC outlets. These provide surge protection on the phone and cable lines as well. These are widely available.

I envy your living near Harvey's Indian River Groves! When the jumbo navel oranges are ready in Dec/Jan there is no sweeter orange on Earth. Enjoy!

--------------------
Bill

silverfox82
Traveler

#1591450 - 05/27/14 06:54 AM (69.254.25.16)

Many of the groves are done due to greening, they are working hard to find a cure and we still can buy some amazing oranges locally. My phone is thru the cable so I would just need to run the cable line thru a surge protector but the cable company (Comcast) says that might slow down the download speed.

Bill_S
Traveler

#1591455 - 05/27/14 07:05 AM (69.255.96.96)

That is possible depending on the design of the surge suppressor... You can check that out by running one of the "Speedtest" apps before inserting the surge suppressor between the cable and the cable modem and then again afterward.

You can also check with Comcast to see what lightening protection circuitry they already provide where the cable enters the house. At a minimum the outer shield of the coax should be well grounded at the point of entry...

--------------------
Bill

Eric_HillAdministrator
Administrator

#1591459 - 05/27/14 08:05 AM (68.245.189.123)

Duke Energy (former Progress Energy) used to offer full house surge protectors, don't remember the cost for installation or the monthly fee. I assume that they still do offer them, so would think FPL would also.

We do not have the full house, but all of our TV's and computers are on surge protectors. At least right around here the utility company has been replacing a lot of the transformers and I think they said that the new ones were suppose to help prevent the surge.

Regardless, if you have a lightening strike in your yard it will blow out a lot of stuff regardless. But the surge protectors will help for anything but a direct strike on your property. Fortunately we have not had a direct strike on the property, but some have been too close for comfort.

--------------------
Eric Hill
TTOL Shop

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
      #1591462 - 05/27/14 08:20 AM (68.245.189.123)

Regarding jumbo navel oranges, I beg to differ--have you ever had a honeybell???

Regarding the topic, central Florida certainly is the lighning capital of the US! We had a huge thunderstorm here last night! Best to try to do all one can to protect yourself..

Richieg1g
Traveler

Loc: Port St Lucie, FL
      #1591470 - 05/27/14 09:09 AM (162.206.126.26)

Quote:

silverfox82 said:
I moved to Florida 2 months ago and the learning curve is rather steep. I have never had an AC (lived on the beach in NY and didn't need one)a garage door opener, a sprinkler system or a well for household water. I seem to be OK with all of that now but I'm getting spooked about killing the big item stuff with a power surge from lightning strikes. I see whole house surge protectors installed on the service panel as preventative, is it necessary and do they work? Most importantly, how much$$$

We are here in South FLA and the Stormshield on our FPL bill is $9.95/mo. There was no installation fee as I recall.

--------------------

Unregistered

#1591493 - 05/27/14 11:33 AM (173.12.44.177)

Quote:

silverfox82 said:
Since they are also hooked up to cable do I need something for the coax coming in?

First learn what a protector does. No protector does protection. Protectors that are effective connect to something that absorbs hundreds of thousands of joules. Obvious, protectors adjacent to appliances (only hundreds of joules) do not even claim such protection.

A completely different device, called a 'whole house' protector, is effective when connected low impedance (ie 'less than 10 feet') to single point earth ground. Where do hundreds of thousand of joules harmlessly dissipate? That answer defines what does protection. Why a 'whole house' protector is so effective. And why those power strips do not even claim to protect from typically destructive surges.

Best protection for cable is a hardwire from that cable, low impedance (ie 'less than 10 feet'), to the same earth ground. Again, what is absorbing hundreds of thousands of joules? Any recommendation that does not answer that question is seriously suspect.

Best protection for cable is a hardwire. Your telephone and AC electric cannot connect directly. So a protector does what a hardwire would do better.

Another used junk science reasoning to assume a surge entered via his cable. Observation while ignoring how electricity works is, at best, wild speculation. Did a surge enter on cable, destroy a TV, then stop? Of course not. It is electricity. It must have both an incoming and outgoing path to earth. Incoming to that TV was probably the typical path - AC electric. Outgoing path to earth would be the cable connection. Damage is often on the outgoing path. Observation and speculation assumed a surge entered on cable.

Most surges are lightning strikes to the more exposed wires (AC electric), incoming to all appliances, and outgoing destructively through fewer appliances that make the best connection to earth.

Not only is your earth ground critically important. That is your secondary protection layer. Your primary protection layer is the utility's earth ground. Also inspect that especially since so many bastards today steal that copper wire.

Best protector makes a low impedance (ie no sharp wire bends) connection to earth. That would be a 'whole house' protector that is also necessary to protect those power strips.

Bill_S
Traveler

Re: whole house surge proctector [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1591508 - 05/27/14 01:14 PM (69.255.96.96)

Hi Carol, I don't believe so...what months are they available in the stores? I will watch for them at Giant up here...

--------------------
Bill

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
      #1591509 - 05/27/14 01:18 PM (68.245.189.123)

Actually, I am not sure I've ever seen a honeybell in stores up north. Their season is quite a bit later than navels, as they come in in maybe March. (..sorry for the tangent.. )

silverfox82
Traveler

Re: whole house surge proctector [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1591533 - 05/27/14 04:26 PM (69.254.25.16)

Thanks again everyone for the input, got sidetracked today but will get it done tomorrow, I'm convinced. As to honeybells, oddly enough they are not even oranges but a cross between a grapefruit and a tangerine, absolutely delicious.

irina
Traveler

Loc: MIA
      #1591631 - 05/28/14 11:43 AM (108.199.90.84)

The navels were great this year. So sweet.
I do believe FPL offers the surge protection.
And I too was at Patrick AFB back in the 70's.
cheers
irina

Bill_S
Traveler

Re: whole house surge proctector [Re: irina]
      #1591680 - 05/28/14 05:07 PM (69.255.96.96)

Quote:

irina said:
The navels were great this year. So sweet.
I do believe FPL offers the surge protection.
And I too was at Patrick AFB back in the 70's.
cheers
irina

Irina...I reported in as a brand new butter-bar on 15 June 1968 and PCS'ed out in early November 1971 as a Captain, headed to ESC at Hanscom AFB in Bedford MA. I lived in BOQ 265, and worked in HQ AFETR/ETOOP-3... When were you there?

--------------------
Bill

irina
Traveler

Loc: MIA
      #1591781 - 05/29/14 01:49 PM (108.199.90.84)

1975-77 Detachment 15, 39th ARRW.

Only woman in unit! Commander's admin.
Cheers

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 4709

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline