Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> SXM People Talk

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Unregistered

Re: Carol's Polls [Re: ruralcarrier]
      #1592321 - 06/02/14 06:12 AM (96.253.198.198)

Perhaps that so!!! But on the other hand, I feel people on this board that are registerd try to sugar coat some issues, because of the fact everyone gets to know each other. I have no personal interest to down St.M. as I own property there, but I will always tell it like it is. I do notice that some issues on Island somehow do not want to be discussed or at least in debt. There is negative and positive all over. So again!!! Some on this board are lets see!!! Whats the word?? kissing up... Ok well we all have seen and been through the changes on Island, good or bad. I still believe that those that spend a once a year vacation are no better equipped to speak on matters even if they are registerd. I would rather here from people that spend lots of time or own, and value there opinions... That is unless its about a restaurant favorite, which is an easy topic...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
Re: Carol's Polls [Re: Anonymous]
      #1592323 - 06/02/14 06:28 AM (32.216.68.135)

Over the years I've never really had an issue with 'anon' posters, since, by the terms of the forum, their opinions and comments were allowed, and I've even gone to the point of defending them on occasion.

But a few weeks ago I happened upon a particularly vile and disgusting personal attack made here by an anonymous poster and that made me change my mind completely.

Anons are still welcome to read here and I would imagine they could probably sign up with a semi-anonymous persona known only to themselves and the moderators, though I don't know this as fact. If you take a look at the bios of many of the registered posters, they're pretty anonymous as it is, but because of their registration they are at the very least, known to the mods.

Bottom line, folks, it was the anon posters, certainly the few and not the majority of anons, for sure, who brought this change upon everyone.

Time will tell if it's a good move or not, but personally speaking, I support the action and having read what I saw posted, my only question is why did it take so long?

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

ruralcarrierModerator

Loc: Ohio
Re: Carol's Polls [Re: pat]
      #1592328 - 06/02/14 06:51 AM (69.133.43.72)

Thanks pat!

--------------------
J.D.

GaKaye
Traveler

Loc: Peaceful Eastern North Carolin...
      #1592331 - 06/02/14 06:57 AM (70.211.210.108)

Carol explained very clearly why only registered members can vote in the polls; it has nothing at all to do with the value of their opinions, but is because there is no other way to limit a poster to only one vote.

ruralcarrierModerator

Loc: Ohio
      #1592332 - 06/02/14 07:02 AM (69.133.43.72)

Quote:

I feel people on this board that are registerd try to sugar coat some issues,

It works both ways. You will also get an unregistered (possibly even a business owner or an associate) and they will make false posts under the pretense of promoting their own place. Self-promotion and "shilling" are not tolerated, registered or not.

I do not sugar coat things and have taken heat myself for having a negative opinion of places favored by others.

--------------------
J.D.

Unregistered

Re: Carol's Polls [Re: ruralcarrier]
      #1592337 - 06/02/14 07:54 AM (96.253.198.198)

Theres the good and bad in everything and people. I for one. Can at any time Pat, come to a ttol gathering, as for the most part, We are on Island... And there ya go. You can not have a ttol gathering unless people know each other... So yes!!! there are those that stay in the background, but lots that come from different places that get to know each others names and converse personally. That's fine... I think I will register, so that finally I can be respected, which is sad, given some of the input that has no value from some registered folks... Oh well.

Unregistered

#1592344 - 06/02/14 08:36 AM (88.214.181.128)

It seems in general the anon postings represent some of the best and some of the worst.

At best, posters have greater than average knowledge of the Island and on measure the information can be quite valuable. But for the anonymity these posts might not be available. On the other end are the inevitable trolls..

Registered posters occupy a similar degree of reliability, from up to the minute observations to out of date inaccurate information which does more harm than good. All are worth reading, and over time one can get a sense of what might be reliable.

Best option is to factor in the recommended and best to avoid, and make some new discoveries!

jenniboston
Traveler

#1592363 - 06/02/14 09:51 AM (71.232.156.212)

What possible reason would someone have to *not* register?

Unregistered

Re: Carol's Polls [Re: jenniboston]
      #1592368 - 06/02/14 10:06 AM (96.253.198.198)

Perhaps so they can speak without bias, or worrying about not going along with the crowd? not all but most know each other on this message board, so not all, but may have to stay popular. Either way, register or not, whats the difference as Hilary would say...

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
      #1592370 - 06/02/14 10:16 AM (71.101.35.187)

Just because you're registered, there is no way anyone would know who you are, unless YOU reveal information about yourself. All it takes is an email address, which email address is not known to anyone other than admins, unless YOU make it public. The reason to register at this point is to be able to participate in this board, period.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 5762

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline