Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> SXM People Talk

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
SXMSAMMY
Traveler

Loc: N CENT COMMONWEALTH OF MA
Happy Canada Day to all our friends north of the B
      #1596939 - 07/01/14 12:27 PM (68.187.209.207)

Happy Canada Day to all our friends north of the Border!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
charlieh
Traveler

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Re: Happy Canada Day to all our friends north of the B [Re: SXMSAMMY]
      #1596940 - 07/01/14 12:30 PM (67.232.31.137)

Sort of funny (to me) that this was posted. I was thinking of Canada last night listening to Gordon Lightfoot who was/is a simply amazing song writer and musician.

If I ever had a crush on another man, it would be Lightfoot.

So is July 1 the date that Canada defeated England?

CrazyCanuxx
Traveler

Re: Happy Canada Day to all our friends north of the B [Re: charlieh]
      #1596945 - 07/01/14 12:40 PM (24.67.14.23)

Quote:

charlieh said:
Sort of funny (to me) that this was posted. I was thinking of Canada last night listening to Gordon Lightfoot who was/is a simply amazing song writer and musician.

If I ever had a crush on another man, it would be Lightfoot.

So is July 1 the date that Canada defeated England?

in soccer?

i love american perception of canada.. i have on video a texan telling me canada is between uniheyeted stayates of amerherica and mexhico.
rofl all the way to canada... still laughing at this one. ps he was serious (in his frame of mind at that very moment in time... not his usual state)

met them in jan and they are a good laugh...

cc

--------------------
Cheers,
CrazyCanuxx

[/url]

charlieh
Traveler

Re: Happy Canada Day to all our friends north of the B [Re: CrazyCanuxx]
      #1596950 - 07/01/14 12:54 PM (67.232.31.137)

Canuxx

My first experience with Canada was in the summer of 1965. I had a summer job near Walla Walla, WA and we decided to drive north to Canada for the 1st time. I had just graduated from high school (in North Carolina). Prior to this trip I had never been west of Knoxville, TN.

We drove through Spokane and across the CA border well after midnight (nothing at the border). We ran out of gas and had to wait in the 1st Canadian town for the only gas station in town to open before we could travel. We had breakfast there as well.

I'm sure that you can imagine what western Canada was like in 1965. It was a completely new experience for me, and I simply loved it. I saw the most beautiful country I had ever seen on that road trip. On another longer trip we went to Vancouver.

Lake Louise is absolutely my favorite single place on Planet Earth which I discovered with my wife a long time ago.

It's sort of fun to tease Canadians, but I really do like your country a lot. Montreal was also a blast.

KATEONTARIO77
Traveler

Re: Happy Canada Day to all our friends north of the B [Re: CrazyCanuxx]
      #1596953 - 07/01/14 01:25 PM (70.50.113.3)

Thanks Sammy.....lots of wonderful things going on to-day.....the small town I live in is on Lake Ontario....3 minutes by bike to the most wonderful beach & harbour....was just down & everyone is dressed in red shirts with Canadian flags.....lots of strawberry shortcake with real whipped cream.....fireworks to-night....

Charlie 4 hours to Montreal for me.....worked in Vancouver one summer when I was in university....

Crazy....some of the stuff about us we hear on vacation really touches the funny bone....of which we have many....

kate

charlieh
Traveler

Re: Happy Canada Day to all our friends north of the B [Re: KATEONTARIO77]
      #1596954 - 07/01/14 01:37 PM (67.232.31.137)

I can't help to think about our 1965 trip. I had a 1965 Mustang convertible (4 speed) with NC license plate. We were 2 guys who would start college in the fall. We hung out at the Univ of BC some. I'd be willing to bet that this was the first car from NC that a lot of them had ever seen - plus this could also have been their 1st sight of a Mustang convertible.

Needless to say we had a blast and of course college girls were of the utmost importance.

We went up the Space Needle in Seattle 3 years after it opened. I returned to the Needle in 2010.

I've now been to over 20 countries, and Canada was the 1st.

My daughter did a year of high school in the Loire Valley region of France. Her best friend that year was from Edmonton. They are still best friends some 20 years later.

islandgem
Traveler

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Happy Canada Day to all our friends north of the B [Re: SXMSAMMY]
      #1596979 - 07/01/14 04:57 PM (209.87.238.129)

Thanks Sammy. Lots of celebrations going on here today as we live in the nation's capital. Our country is only 147 years old today, but united, strong and free and proud to call the USA our neighbour.

charlieh
Traveler

Re: Happy Canada Day to all our friends north of the B [Re: islandgem]
      #1596986 - 07/01/14 06:41 PM (67.232.31.137)

Quote:

islandgem said:
Thanks Sammy. Lots of celebrations going on here today as we live in the nation's capital. Our country is only 147 years old today, but united, strong and free and proud to call the USA our neighbour.

Don't the US and Canada have the longest unprotected border in the world?

To me it's pretty cool the way that French is integrated into Canada.

Bill_S
Traveler

Loc: Southern Maryland suburbs of D...
Re: Happy Canada Day to all our friends north of the B [Re: charlieh]
      #1596992 - 07/01/14 07:45 PM (69.255.96.96)

Quote:

charlieh said:
Quote:

islandgem said:

Don't the US and Canada have the longest unprotected border in the world?

To me it's pretty cool the way that French is integrated into Canada.

It is actually the longest "undefended" border in the world. Customs and imigration services of both nations protect it, but the "Defended" border is a common one running from Brownsville Texas counter clockwise along the Gulf Of Mexico up the Atlantic coast to the Arctic sea, continuing counter clockwise to the west around Alaska, down the Pacific coast to south of San Diego and then along the southern borders of CA, AZ, NM and Texas back to Brownsville, encompasing the entirety of Canada and the US. It then also extends of course to encompass the state of Hawaii and all the US Territories as well. The US and Canada stand as one looking outward, and an attack on one is by definition an attack on the other...with the appropriate very severe consequences on any attacker.

Canadians are great people in a great nation and we are honored to have them as our neighbors! Happy Canada Day!

--------------------
Bill

pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
Re: Happy Canada Day to all our friends north of the B [Re: KATEONTARIO77]
      #1597043 - 07/02/14 09:38 AM (32.216.66.45)

Happy, happy to all our neighbors to the North and to all the transplanted Canadians wherever you are today. It is a great and beautiful place and so many contrasts. I've not seen western Canada but my trips throughout the Maritimes have granted me some incredible memories.

So I hope you all enjoy your day. You have so much that's wonderful and well worth the celebration.

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 2471

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline