Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> SXM People Talk

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
luvnthatsxm
Traveler

Loc: West (By God) Virginia
Re: So what do you (did you) do? [Re: nclauss1]
      #1599798 - 07/23/14 02:36 PM (75.151.242.49)

And my daughter is one of those NICU babies. Very rough start for her, but she was quite the fighter (still very headstrong I'm afraid) Now 16 years later, she has agreed to join us for our annual trip 8/1-8/13. Excited about that!

Before my daughter was born I was the marketing/training director for one of the local banks; however, had to leave that position to care for her. Through a series of challenges throughout this time, we ended up opening our own counseling practice. I always joke that my husband does the counseling, but I do everything else. They must like us around here as we have now been in business since 1998 and have grown from 1 therapist to 5. However, if the need were to arise elsewhere (ahem), I would certainly be willing to relocate!

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
silverfox82
Traveler

Loc: sebastian florida
Re: So what do you (did you) do? [Re: luvnthatsxm]
      #1599847 - 07/23/14 08:16 PM (69.254.25.16)

Boat driver in the USCG after HS including a year as a machine gunner on a boat in the Mekong delta (the CG had 26 boats there). Then 26 years as a NY City firefighter, retired a few months before 9/11. With a creative schedule we could work around 87 24 hour shifts a year which left much time for side work which included: house builder, bartender, commercial lobsterman and clam digger, boat delivery crew and then after retirement ran and was chef at a waterfront seasonal restaurant and then delivered art all over the northeast US. Never got rich but you can't put a price on adventures.

Roaruba
Traveler

Loc: Westchester County, NY
Re: So what do you (did you) do? [Re: silverfox82]
      #1599850 - 07/23/14 08:34 PM (72.69.150.91)

I worked part time while raising my two children, first retail and then as an Office assistant. We opened a business when my youngest was in high school, it was a Beverage Center. Here in NY you were only allowed to sell beer, water, soda snacks and cigarettes. It was 7 days a week and very long days, we were open for 11 years and had enough. We never were able to attend family functions, we had no life, worked all the holidays. Now I do clerical work for the school system. Much better hours and Summers off. At least I will now have time to spend with my first grand baby due any day.

charlieh
Traveler

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Re: So what do you (did you) do? [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1599852 - 07/23/14 09:02 PM (67.232.31.137)

Quote:

Carol_Hill said:
So, you retired twice?? What do you do now, you slacker????

Actually Bill made a career out of being Wild.

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: So what do you (did you) do? [Re: charlieh]
      #1599853 - 07/23/14 09:13 PM (68.247.4.100)

TStelma
Traveler

Loc: Michigan
Re: So what do you (did you) do? [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1599856 - 07/23/14 09:34 PM (172.12.113.30)

I worked exclusively as a musician for over a dozen years (a lot of that time on the road). While schooling after that, I worked as a forklift driver, a courier, and kept a small warehouse in order. I went back to music full time after finishing college until my youngest was born, then went to work full time as a blueprint runner while still playing at night. I ended up the safety manager, cost estimator, and workers’ comp manager there until the place folded. 12 years in all. I wrote Happy Bay while training to become a medical coder and now work as a medical coding auditor for an insurance carrier. I am hoping to stay with this profession until I retire and devote more time to writing when that day comes. I still play, but only when the spirit moves me to. Playing covers in bars no longer holds much charm, and our audience’s bedtime comes a lot earlier than it used to...

madisoncty
Traveler

Loc: Winterset, Madison County, IA
Re: So what do you (did you) do? [Re: TStelma]
      #1599868 - 07/23/14 10:38 PM (199.120.87.149)

We are grain and livestock producers, cattle, corn, soybeans and hay. We own and operate one farm in particular that is designated a Century Farm, continuously owned and operated by my family for over a hundred years. Additionally, I am a state livestock inspector for the Dept of Ag.

--------------------
Mike & Dixie

biglar
Traveler

Loc: PA
Re: So what do you (did you) do? [Re: TStelma]
      #1599869 - 07/23/14 10:44 PM (72.70.130.41)

My wife has been in non-profit administration since our three kids made it through middle school. I taught high school, Graphic Arts and Photography, for 35 years, retiring in 1999. Started my own printing company after that as well as working part-time for a former student doing matting and framing. Also sell my altered Polaroid prints at about a half dozen shops in southeastern PA as well as the Chesapeake Bay area. Find I work more now than when I was teaching, but always find time to travel two months each year. Gonna have to increase the travel time soon I keep telling my wife as long as she can find the time in her schedule. Don't know what I'd do if I totally retired. Enjoy my life the way it is!!

--------------------
www.lifewithldub.blogspot.com

charlieh
Traveler

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Re: So what do you (did you) do? [Re: biglar]
      #1599872 - 07/23/14 10:55 PM (67.232.31.137)

I was hoping that this would turn out to be an interesting thread - and sure enough it is. It really is interesting to learn about what other folks have spent their lives in pursuit of, and there certainly is a lot of variety.

One poster mentioned driving through Dayton, WA that I posted about. I'd like to add an interesting tidbit to the Dayton story. All of us who worked for the Green Giant lived in a compound that was built to be a Japanese Internment Camp during WW2 where Japanese Americans were sent to live during the war. When I was there in 1965 the barbed wire fence was still in place around the compound.

Speebs
Traveler

Re: So what do you (did you) do? [Re: charlieh]
      #1599889 - 07/24/14 07:57 AM (63.66.64.245)

I am an Envirnomental Chemist I work for the Bureau of Safe Drinking Water for Department of Envirnomental Protection in PA. In St Martin the water purfication process is done by reverse osmosis and in one best methods used to produce safe (this does not mean that it tastes good) drinking water.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 9800

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline