Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> SXM People Talk

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
GaKaye
Traveler

Loc: Peaceful Eastern North Carolin...
Re: So what do you (did you) do? [Re: charlieh]
      #1599916 - 07/24/14 10:22 AM (70.193.6.25)

I was a banker for my entire career. Started out as a teller, and worked my way up through the ranks, retiring as a senior executive responsible for credit administration and regulatory compliance as a small, locally-owned community bank.

Now I'm just happily retired, living in the country after an entire lifetime of city or suburb living.

Edited by GaKaye (07/24/14 10:28 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BobD
Traveler

Loc: Riverhead, NY
Re: So what do you (did you) do? [Re: GaKaye]
      #1599923 - 07/24/14 11:10 AM (69.117.152.102)

GaKaye , Me too! 46 years from high school kid slave in the bank to
Exec VP & Chief Lending Officer. Happily retired now! BobD

bonsie
Traveler

Loc: CT.
      #1599948 - 07/24/14 01:09 PM (69.124.223.169)

After serving in the U.S. Navy SeaBees I went to work for a little company called UPS hauling tandem trailers up and down the east coast. After 35 years with them and max pension I said "bye bye, nice knowing you" and took my wonderful pension thanks the Teamsters union. Now I make sure my wife has her morning coffee to make it to work on time and then it's whatever happens, happens.

seeitall
Traveler

Loc: North Carolina
Re: So what do you (did you) do? [Re: bonsie]
      #1599978 - 07/24/14 02:39 PM (166.82.73.2)

I learned so much from all my jobs. Interesting to look back on them.

In order:

Burger King - I can still wrap a Whopper (or other burger) in paper, double fold on top, both ends neatly tucked, in under 2.5 seconds. Well before the days of styrofoam "clam-shell" containers. Also before the days of cash registers with pictures of the food items, so I learned to add up a ticket with pencil and paper, very quickly during the lunch rush. (A somewhat more useful life skill than wrapping a hamburger!)

Butch's Standard Station - Where I learned to clean a windshield. A good thing, too, since nowadays you need to do it yourself.

True Value Hardware - There were no big-box home centers so everyone came to the hardware store to get what they needed to fix things. Probably where I learned to be fearless around the house: electrical, plumbing, carpentry, whatever. Of course, just because I am not afraid to tackle it doesn't mean I shouldn't leave some things to the professionals. That kind of lesson takes years to learn.

Oh, yeah...
Medical school, residency and 30 years of practice as an anesthesiologist. I'm starting to get the hang of that but there's always more to learn...

charlieh
Traveler

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Re: So what do you (did you) do? [Re: seeitall]
      #1599981 - 07/24/14 02:49 PM (67.232.31.137)

seeitall reminds me of 2 jobs I had in Chapel Hill. One was a cashier at Hardees on Franklin St (no longer there). I was good in math, so when a customer ordered something, I could usually tell him/her what they owed before ringing it up on the cash register. Sort of blew some minds doing this.

Worked on the night shift at the UNC Hospital as a short order cook. Learned how to make milk shakes via the machine and how to grill about anything. Also learned the hardest part of the job - cleaning the grill after midnight every night.

irish1223
Traveler

Loc: originally NY/now Tennessee
      #1600007 - 07/24/14 06:32 PM (24.158.120.160)

I (Robin) am a retired Registered Nurse. I spent the first half of my career in New York as an OB/GYN/Pediatric nurse. After my move to Charlotte, NC, and my subsequent move here to TN, I worked as an RN in the field of child & adolescent mental health. I retired in January 2013 and am enjoying not having to get up on a set schedule anymore.

Hubby (Ed) is a Computational Biologist, specializing in both environmental science and medical research. One of these days, I'll convince him to join the retirement club.

--------------------
Robin & Ed

Bill_S
Traveler

Loc: Southern Maryland suburbs of D...
Re: So what do you (did you) do? [Re: irish1223]
      #1600010 - 07/24/14 07:07 PM (69.255.96.96)

Oh wow...what an experience...

In High School I earned a ham radio operator's license, studdied some more and, just before turning 16, earned an FCC First Class Commercial Radiotelephone Operator's license and worked my through college as a part time broadcast engineer at radio/TV stations and repaired two-way radios on the side to make more money...

When I graduated from Syracuse I received my EE degree and my commission as a USAF officer from ROTC beginning a 22 year Air Force career working on Apollo at Cape Canaveral, air traffic control and navigation aids at Hanscom AFB near Boston, four years as a mission area planner at Andrews AFB followed by four years working on cruise missiles in Arlington Va. Then a three year "hardship tour" at Hickam AFB in Honolulu, followed by five years at the Pentagon running Electronic Warfare programs before retiring as a Lt.Col.in 1990...

This was followed by private sector jobs at Litton, Northrop Grumman and AAI as an Electronics Engineer and business development guy...

To quote Frank Sinatra... "To think...I did all that...and then again...not in a shy way..."

... I did it MY way!

I have been totally retired for two and a half years now and I am enjoying it tremendously!

--------------------
Bill

jenniboston
Traveler

Re: So what do you (did you) do? [Re: Bill_S]
      #1600015 - 07/24/14 07:59 PM (71.232.156.212)

I have been a customer service manager in finance, then a compliance admin in finance. I've been laid off three times in the past seven years. Ahem, finance. I've decided that customer service management is where my skills and passion lie, so I'm interviewing for such positions. Hopefully I get such a job and hold it long enough to be able to afford another trip to St. Martin!

GaKaye
Traveler

Loc: Peaceful Eastern North Carolin...
Re: So what do you (did you) do? [Re: BobD]
      #1600019 - 07/24/14 08:30 PM (70.193.7.157)

Quote:

BobD said:
GaKaye , Me too! 46 years from high school kid slave in the bank to
Exec VP & Chief Lending Officer. Happily retired now! BobD

What a small world!

mscottc
Traveler

Loc: Jersey City, NJ, North of SXM
Re: So what do you (did you) do? [Re: GaKaye]
      #1600039 - 07/24/14 10:46 PM (68.38.198.130)

Bill S... also did my 4 years at Syracuse... Go ORANGE. Majored in TV=Radio... After a couple of years at some other jobs, I wound up at CBS in NYC.

--------------------

Life is a series of real images My Galleries

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 9797

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline