Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> SXM People Talk

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)
JimCandD
Traveler

Re: SNOW in Northeast [Re: Cheryl_Ted]
      #1630178 - 02/05/15 09:02 PM (74.221.72.165)

I don't know which is worse, the extreme cold or the extreme snow. In Maine the north has the coldest temps in the lower 48 and the south has the snow the rest of New England has with more to come. SXM looks awful good this time of year!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
Re: SNOW in Northeast [Re: JimCandD]
      #1630664 - 02/08/15 04:32 PM (32.216.72.14)

Oh, no......sounds like more of the fluffy white stuff is heading your way. It's already snowing here in Western CT so good luck to all you northern New Englanders, and particularly those of you with 600 foot long driveways. SNOW!! Where do you put it all?

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

JimCandD
Traveler

Re: SNOW in Northeast [Re: pat]
      #1630667 - 02/08/15 04:55 PM (74.221.72.165)

Our driveway is only about 400 ft. and now we do ok since learning our lesson the year we got over 200 inches total (we push it back more back in October and November). Here in northern Maine we haven't got the snow the southern part did, but we have the cold. Our temperatures probably will be near -30 tomorrow morning as we live near a river. The vehicles groan a little in the mornings. It is supposed to be right around zero for the whole week! We just need to think warm thoughts and dream about the island to make it through!!!

islandgem
Traveler

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
      #1630669 - 02/08/15 05:07 PM (99.240.244.240)

WE have been very lucky so far this winter as we have missed all the big storms that so many others have experienced. It is snowing lightly today, but not scheduled to amount to much. It has been cold this month but most days have been sunny with clear skies so the sunshine makes everything much more tolerable. Just a little more than a month and spring will be here!

tmsxmsails
Traveler

Loc: Massachusetts USA
Re: SNOW in Northeast [Re: eng3dr]
      #1630672 - 02/08/15 05:21 PM (71.10.242.21)

[Begin Snow Rant]

Well we've gotten a ton this winter - pushing 5 feet at this point I think - but hey, it's not like I don't know it could happen. I just deal with it.

What really frosts me though is my neighbors who don't help in "community responsibilities". We share a mailbox post with another neighbor and with all this snow, the plows can't really clear all the way to the curb. This means that the mailbox is several feet away from the road and the mail truck can't reach it. Do my neighbors *ever* clear the snow away from the mailbox we share? - No they do not. I used to cut him slack because he didn't have a snow blower and I do but now he's got a giant machine. Still, he only does *his* stuff - never, ever clears "our" mailboxes. Grrr.

Today, after clearing my drive (and the mailbox), I look down to the end of the cul de sac and see that the fire hydrant that serves the whole street is buried. All I can see is the marker rod sticking up from about 9 feet of snow that the plows have rammed up on top of it. So, I guess it's my job to clear this too. Just because I'm pissed, I clear the other one that's around the corner from my house (I'm basically between them so I want the FD to have access to both if they need to save my house). I guess people just think this stuff happens by magic.

[Okay, rant over]

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
      #1630677 - 02/08/15 05:28 PM (108.96.178.40)

Warm thoughts wouldn't do it for me!!! (BTW, 75 degrees and sunny here in central Florida today! )

pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
Re: SNOW in Northeast [Re: tmsxmsails]
      #1630678 - 02/08/15 05:47 PM (32.216.72.14)

I hear you and know just what you're talking about.

Just because you have the equipment and you're a nice guy........but at least your neighbors don't come behind you and push their snow onto the newly plowed mailboxes and fire hydrants.

And having the equipment or not - remember back in the olden days we all had these tools we utilized to do these jobs for ourselves......uh, I think they called them SHOVELS, and doing it yourself was called accepting your personal responsibility.

I mean it's not like the air where you're outside working in is heated and you are warm and dry while doing it......

I think we (translates to at least 'I' for sure...)need a dose of SXM. NOW!!

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

SXMSAMMY
Traveler

Loc: N CENT COMMONWEALTH OF MA
Re: SNOW in Northeast [Re: SXMSAMMY]
      #1630693 - 02/08/15 06:54 PM (24.107.232.190)

Ok, predictions right now for Saturday thru this Tuesday is 18-24+ inches.....and looking at more snow this upcoming Thursday....yikes, where are we going to put it all? Temps not to go over 20 F for the next 10 days....

marybeth
Traveler

Loc: Rhode Island
Re: SNOW in Northeast [Re: tmsxmsails]
      #1630719 - 02/08/15 09:22 PM (108.34.209.14)

Well, at least you still have a mailbox! We lost ours for the 4th time since all this snow began. And now it is truly trashed - pole splintered-and the box flew into the middle of a massive snowdrift. We live on a circle & the plow drivers whip around like they're running the Daytona 500. The snow is so deep at the edge of the road I'm not sure how the oil delivery guys are going to get to the house to deliver. The joys of living in New England...

--------------------
MB

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: SNOW in Northeast [Re: marybeth]
      #1630722 - 02/08/15 09:26 PM (108.96.178.40)

Ah, just gotta say.. Speaking of the Daytona 500.......... 75 degrees and bright sun here in Central Florida today!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 13157

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline