Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> SXM People Talk

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
LONGISLANDSHARON
Traveler

Loc: COMMACK, NY
Re: LOVE SXM, but need to try something NEW!! [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1630865 - 02/09/15 03:50 PM (74.90.193.107)

I feel the same way. We are going to Grand Cayman for a week at the end of April. Staying on 7 Mile Beach. Maybe it will become my 'new' SXM.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
whammy
Traveler

Loc: Cape Cod
      #1630870 - 02/09/15 04:05 PM (73.38.155.131)

Sorry Carol, yes it was directed at Pat!
C/O not necessary for us.

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: LOVE SXM, but need to try something NEW!! [Re: LONGISLANDSHARON]
      #1630882 - 02/09/15 05:14 PM (108.96.178.40)

We have only gone to Cayman, again, on cruises, but the prices in general on Cayman for food and drink are just way high, I think..

IslandBoi
Traveler

Loc: Sugar Land, Tx
Re: LOVE SXM, but need to try something NEW!! [Re: ewr2sxm]
      #1630895 - 02/09/15 05:31 PM (72.37.249.100)

we had visited quite a few islands before finding SXM and still continue to try new ones...although we still consider SXM our favorite, we really like Barbados also...Curacao is pretty nice too

--------------------

phillygirl7
Traveler

Re: LOVE SXM, but need to try something NEW!! [Re: ewr2sxm]
      #1630961 - 02/10/15 12:18 AM (75.100.139.200)

I think international travel in between the trips to the islands may be in order. Italy, Ireland, Germany, Australia, Switzerland. Any of those places I would love to travel to, someday.

GaKaye
Traveler

Loc: Peaceful Eastern North Carolin...
Re: LOVE SXM, but need to try something NEW!! [Re: phillygirl7]
      #1630971 - 02/10/15 07:27 AM (70.193.53.124)

That's what we've done for the past two years. I don't think any other Caribbean destination would work for us.

DandM29212
Traveler

Loc: Columbia, SC, USA
      #1631666 - 02/12/15 04:35 PM (174.107.96.250)

Obviously, every island is quite unique. If you're looking to find that "SXM vibe", whatever that is, you need to go to SXM. If you were to ask a Cayman board dweller, he'd say he can't find that "Cayman vibe" outside of Grand Cayman, either.

The question, then, is if you're just looking for that "SXM vibe" elsewhere, or whether you're looking for or at least open to something other than the "SXM vibe".

We love Grand Cayman for the upscale features and great nightlife - just more sophisticated than many places. Beach parties at night on 7 Mile are totally all inclusive - young and young-at-heart people who welcome you regardless of how long you've been on-island or if this is your first visit. Those parties aren't a local thing, either, where you fear for your safety. Re outlying Caymans - wild and great if you enjoy an island that isn't over-developed and you can enjoy yourself, make your own entertainment, or enjoy other independent minded people, all while still totally safe.

Virgin Islands - great if you enjoy boating or sailing. Far more beautiful and again, far safer, than most Caribbean islands. We love St. John cause of the National Park on 3/4ths of the island - we hate hotels built right up to the edge of the water. Activities and the little Cruz Bay nightlife are great for younger people. We enjoy sailing among the US and British islands. If enjoying the water is a plus for you, the VI's are hard to beat and so easy to get to.

Hawaii - we love the relaxation of having all the typical US conveniences in an upscale tropical environment. Just like anywhere, each island is different. Maui attracts a similar traveler profile as SXM - somewhat older and often couples entrenched since the 70's or 80's. Kuaui is a much younger, less developed, totally relaxed, safe atmosphere. We find in Hawaii, like SXM, people have been going there for 10 years or 40 years and don't really consider anywhere else as a viable alternative. Obviously, whether its worth the flight time is again a personal decision and often not for East Coasters. For me, I don't mind a day where I can just sit for 8-10 hours and read and relax. What a great vacation start! On the flight back - you just sleep - nbd.

The common theme, for us, is clear - safety is key to relaxtion. We relax much more in all the islands above than SXM.

For more adventure and exposure to a different culture, we really enjoy Belize (Ambergris Caye) and the Mexico Mayan resort areas - Tulum and south.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions; those are ours.

Edited by DandM29212 (02/12/15 06:15 PM)

pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
Re: LOVE SXM, but need to try something NEW!! [Re: whammy]
      #1631686 - 02/12/15 07:01 PM (32.216.76.210)

Quote:

whammy said:
Sorry Carol, yes it was directed at Pat!
C/O not necessary for us.

Whammy,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I just noticed your comment.

The things we most loved about both our Barbados and Grenada trips were perhaps not what would interest many travelers but to us they made these vacations much more than just another beach vacation. No clothing optional ops as far as we knew and no busy or overly developed beach scenes but that wasn't part of our requirements either.

Both islands were lush and green with incredible photo ops along with much more history and sight-seeing opportunities which is something we truly enjoy.

On Grenada we visited the inland mountain streams and falls and the rain forest along with the nutmeg and cocoa factories which weren't to be outdone by the beautiful beaches. And for good measure we also did a little history tour of the American 'invasion' locations including the medical school where the students were 'hunkered down' while they waited to be 'rescued' by our brave soldiers and we learned the 'other side of the story' from several locals. We also got to have our picture taken in front of our cab drivers poinsettia bushes which were humongous but which did vaguely resemble the smaller versions we decorate with every Christmas. It was a much slower paced vacation than our St. Maarten trips and we loved our little beachfront hotel and the luxury of our walled garden and private plunge pool.

Our Barbados trip was only a week long and I wish it might have been longer, and it was the only successful timeshare trade we ever made.

We stayed in what was then one of, if not the oldest on-going hotels on the island and probably one of the most picturesque and most often photographed locations as well. There were three magazine photo shoots and one wedding photographed there during our week long stay. The hotel was a story in itself but I'll spare you the details beyond saying we loved it.

We drove miles and miles on Barbados sightseeing through every niche and corner we could access and got to see a beautiful old light house on the cliffs in what I think was the Bathsheba area and discovered a monastery we hadn't heard one word about until we ventured down the driveway by mistake.

We explored an old sugar plantation and got to walk the catwalks where the threshing machines were turning the sugar cane into black strap on its way to becoming molasses or being sold to the Mt. Gay Rum Company......all things which were light years away from anything we would typically find on St. Maarten.

Funny thing to me - before going there for some reason, Bridgetown, Barbados had always been somewhere I really wanted to see. When I finally got there, I couldn't wait to get out of the city/developed and active area and get back to our quiet beach and exploring the real island.

These probably weren't things that many strict beach vacation goers might want to do but we loved every single moment of both trips to these two islands, as well as the beaching on both and the dining ops, too....I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the fried flying fish at Oistens.

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

Cincinnati_Kid
Traveler

Loc: Cincinnati area
Re: LOVE SXM, but need to try something NEW!! [Re: pat]
      #1631689 - 02/12/15 07:13 PM (71.65.100.64)

Pat, are you talking about Crane Beach Hotel in Barbados? I have been there and it is very picturesque. What a view!

--------------------
Paradise is an island in the Caribbean!

pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
Re: LOVE SXM, but need to try something NEW!! [Re: Cincinnati_Kid]
      #1631690 - 02/12/15 07:19 PM (32.216.76.210)

Yes, I am, and yes it is and I almost forgot the caves you could access from the far side of the beach - supposedly where Sam Lord hid his bounty from the reef wrecking he was supposed to have done in the area. Island lore or reality? Who knows? Whe really cares? But we enjoyed the stories.

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 9192

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline