Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> SXM People Talk

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
charlieh
Traveler

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Your WOW Caribbean moments
      #1659317 - 08/11/15 09:36 PM (71.54.148.90)

The Carib is vast and full of adventure. Would like to hear about those unreal experiences that you have had there.

I'll start with what I consider to be my biggest WOW experience. While getting a tour around Mustique, we were shown Mick Jagger's beach home there. Wow was the 1st thing out of my mouth. Doubt that many people get to visit Mustique, but if there is a "world class" island, this is certainly one.

Unfortunately I never got an invitation to stay in Mick's home.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Beevly
Traveler

Loc: CT
Re: Your WOW Caribbean moments [Re: charlieh]
      #1659339 - 08/12/15 08:40 AM (148.168.40.122)

Anchoring between the Pitons in St. Lucia. Before there was any development. We meant to just overnight but stayed for days.

irina
Traveler

Loc: MIA
Re: Your WOW Caribbean moments [Re: Beevly]
      #1659366 - 08/12/15 11:52 AM (162.216.198.50)

Well at Basil's Bar in Mustique I was quite surprised to see a black and white photo of the Clam Bar in Napeague Long Island.
Cheers
irina

Tom
Traveler

Loc: Hershey, Pennsylvania
      #1659451 - 08/13/15 07:42 AM (98.235.97.123)

You are right, most have never heard of Mustique. My sister in law and husband (an architect) went there a number of years ago because he was contracted to build a vacation home for one of the DuPont family. It was supposed to take less than a year and it took almost 2 years. Didn't see Mick but spent lots of time with Jerry Hall and other celebs. Part of his compensation was a house with pool, cook, maid, pool man. Quite an experience.

TomB
Traveler

Loc: Virginia wishing STJ
      #1659507 - 08/13/15 01:56 PM (173.44.65.123)

My wife and I spent are first two years of marriage on the island of Puerto Rico. After 18 months of saving, we had enough money for a 4 day - 3 night stay at Little Dix Bay in Virgin Gorda. The year was 1979 and from the moment we arrived, we knew the resort was a special place. Back then, Little Dix was part of the RockResort chain, and in fact, Laurance Rockefeller was at the resort while we were there.

I do not remember how it exactly worked back then, but you could sign out a beach to be yours. Like St John, Rockefeller owned a lot of land on island, but I do not know if that was a factor. Now a days nobody can own the beach. Anyway, we signed out Devil’s Bay at the Baths. My wife, who was a very good water skier, enjoyed being pulled from Little Dix to the Baths, which is a very long ski.

The boat dropped us with two bottles of wine and a huge basket of goodies. In total awe of my surroundings with the love of life at my side, the skipper said, “Sir what time would you like to be picked up?” “Never!” was my response. We spent about 5 hours at Devils Bay. We never saw anyone on the beach. There were sailboats anchored off shore, but the beach was ours.

That was my WOW Caribbean moment… No, it was more than a moment it was a lifetime memory. We have returned many times since 1979, but no visit has come close to comparing with that first visit.

--------------------
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.” - Emerson

biglar
Traveler

Loc: PA
Re: Your WOW Caribbean moments [Re: TomB]
      #1660293 - 08/21/15 09:05 PM (71.254.114.87)

One of our favorite days in the Carib was on the island of Antigua. We became friends with a taxi driver known as GG and asked if he could spend a day taking us to some of the best spots on the island. Left early in the morning, visited a place that built modular homes, visited a few beaches that no one bothers to go to but were spectacular, stopped to see a glass blower at work, stopped by a roadside stand for lunch which for me was goat stew, spent time in a cave and even stopped by his house to meet his wife. Later that evening he took us to Shirley Heights to hear the most amazing steel drum band play classical songs. I'll never forget the smile he had across his face when he brought us back to our resort, knowing he had made our day one of the most memorable days ever.

--------------------
www.lifewithldub.blogspot.com

pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
      #1660394 - 08/22/15 02:09 PM (32.216.66.96)

Charlie,

Our first St. Maarten WOW moment was in early November 1973 or '74 and is perhaps not the same kind of WOW you're talking about, but it sure was a huge WOW for us and all those we arrived with.

We were still kids - twenty-somethings to be sure - and had won an all expenses paid trip to St. Maarten through a local business promotion my husbands fledgling business was involved in, and since we hadn't been on a real vacation since our Bermuda honeymoon in 1966 we were totally psyched about all aspects of the up-coming trip.

We attended an informational meeting regarding the trip and the island, its' people and culture, and what was expected of us as guests to this then-sleepy little Caribbean island and we were totally wired. We all we could read in our encyclopedia - remember those? - and even purchased a Fodors travel book so we'd be well informed and up to date on all this "Friendly Island" - or so they called it - had to offer.

The big day arrived, and along with 24 other local contractors and their spouses or significant others, we departed JFK on KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, all of us anxious to set foot on this island paradise and get our own taste of the 'Friendly Island' of St. Maarten.

Our plane touched down about four hours later and we were all clapping and laughing as it skimmed along the runway to return within easy deplaning distance of the old terminal building.

The stair-truck (no jetways in those days...) pulled up to the plane and banged on the door and as the flight attendant opened it from within, some of us began to notice a line forming of soldiers dressed in full combat garb with guns and grenades meeting our plane. Such a greeting we hadn't anticipated for sure.

By the time we were walking down the steps there was a solid line of them from the base of the stairs right to the entrance door of the airport, many of them encouraging us to "Run, run!"

And of course, none of us had a clue as to what was going on but as we looked around we noted soldiers lining the full perimeter of the airport, some with leashed German Shepherds and once again, all of them with grenades and guns. Big Guns! And lo, on the roof of the old terminal there were more soldiers with machine guns ensconced behind sandbags. It was like something from an old John Wayne war movie. Friendly Island? Friendly Island, my foot!

And still we had no idea of the the five W's - Who, what, why, when or why - what the heck was going on?!

As we were going through the arduous process of clearing immigration - still with no idea as to what was going on outside, our island host was off trying to get information to explain and to put all our minds at ease.

The ultimate answer to what the heck was happening, or at least, so we were told at the time, was that there had been a threat made by the PLO to bomb a Dutch airliner because of on-going disputes, and these soldiers, guns, dogs, etc., that met our plane were the anti-PLO mechanism the Dutch government had put in place to keep their planes, airport and people safe.

I know it sounds like a strange arrival, and believe me, it most definitely WAS since we were anticipating the first whiff of island scents and breezes so many speak of still as the door opened finally opened, as opposed to the spectacle which ultimately greeted us. But in the end, despite the dogs and soldiers and armed protection we were afforded, our arrival was flawless and thus became the beginning of a 40+ year love affair we've held with this island ever since.

I had pretty much forgotten about that first WOW over the years but a couple years back we were having dinner with island friends and the topic of strange island times came up over dinner, and while the wife I'm sure thought we'd both lost our minds, the husband thought back and did recall that brief period in the island's history, and while he hadn't seen the airport and its precautions then, since the 'trip over the hill' in those days was a major outing, he did recall having heard stories such as ours as a young kid.

That was, for sure, the biggest WOW moment we've ever had on the island and for sure, those special moments since then have all been much kinder and gentler WOWs in every way.

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

beechbumms
Traveler

Loc: Iowa
Re: Your WOW Caribbean moments [Re: pat]
      #1660450 - 08/23/15 06:37 AM (67.131.172.2)

WOW, that is a definite "WOW" moment What an interesting story, Pat!

pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
Re: Your WOW Caribbean moments [Re: beechbumms]
      #1660470 - 08/23/15 09:56 AM (32.216.66.96)

Thank you. It was certainly different.

And in rereading my post, I've realized too late I should have done some closer and more serious editing before posting. Sorry about the errors but at least they weren't monumental and you could still get the general idea of what I was saying......

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

320sycamore
Traveler

Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Your WOW Caribbean moments [Re: pat]
      #1662246 - 09/05/15 10:33 PM (75.136.73.101)

Wow, great story and fun to read!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 4372

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline