Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> SXM People Talk

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
biglar
Traveler

Loc: PA
Southwest Airlines boarding question
      #1663981 - 09/20/15 06:22 PM (71.254.114.87)

My wife and I along with friends will be traveling to Puerto Rico soon. We have never flown Southwest before and aren't familiar with their boarding procedures. We did pay $25 per person so we could board first, but does everyone else do the same? We wanted to make sure we would have a spot in the overhead storage for our carry-on. Just wondering if we will get to sit close to the front or have to board all at one time and take what's left over without bin storage. What are your experiences boarding like this?

--------------------
www.lifewithldub.blogspot.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DaveIL
Traveler

Loc: Central Florida
Re: Southwest Airlines boarding question [Re: biglar]
      #1663989 - 09/20/15 06:56 PM (107.145.233.101)

On southwest you board in groups. A1-A60. B1-60. C1-60. 60 fliers in each group boarding by number. Since you paid for early boarding you will most likely be in the A group. Your exact number Will be on your boarding pass. No problem getting overhead storage and a good seat.

--------------------
Dave

Bill_S
Traveler

Loc: Southern Maryland suburbs of D...
Re: Southwest Airlines boarding question [Re: biglar]
      #1663994 - 09/20/15 07:51 PM (69.138.217.199)

Make certain that you check in online exactly 24 hours before the scheduled departure and print out your boarding passes...because you paid the extra you WILL be in the A group...when you check in the day before determines WHERE you board within the A group...

There are no assigned seats...when it is your turn to board you get on the aircraft and pick the first seats you come to which are desirable to you for whatever reasons...close to the front, lots of overhead bin space, windows, aisles, whatever...

If you are in the A group you will have plenty of choices...but definitely check in online exactly 24 hours before departure and print out your boarding passes!

--------------------
Bill

JimRosen
Traveler

Loc: St. Maarten
Re: Southwest Airlines boarding question [Re: Bill_S]
      #1664000 - 09/20/15 08:39 PM (76.92.206.23)

My understanding is that those that book in a class higher than the lowest class have preferential boarding assignments. Then, boarding assignments are given to those that purchased the early bird option, given according to when the option was bought. All of this is done 36 hours ahead of check in. So, if you bought the early bird option, your boarding pass number has already been decided before the 24 hour check in mark and it makes no difference when the boarding pass is printed.

BerneandGary
Traveler

Loc: Austin, Texas
      #1664011 - 09/20/15 09:47 PM (72.177.84.7)

Early bird boarding does not guarantee an "A" boarding group. My husband & I traveled to Cancun in July, 2015 from Austin, purchased our tickets in March, 2015 including the early bird check in. When we received our boarding positions, he was A25, I was B14 - same reservation!!! I contacted Southwest upon returning home & they said there was no guarantee that early bird gets you an "A" boarding pass, but at least they refunded me the $12.50 I spent for the early bird check in.

--------------------
Gotta Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart...(J.B.)

SXMScubaman
Traveler

Loc: Auburn, WA
Re: Southwest Airlines boarding question [Re: BerneandGary]
      #1664049 - 09/21/15 11:21 AM (75.165.7.198)

Since you were on the same reservation they should have let you board at the same time with your husband. That is the way most other airlines do it. If your traveling with another that has early boarding or VIP status the gate people usually just wave you through with them.

PreK176
Traveler

Loc: Granville, MA
      #1664779 - 09/27/15 11:59 AM (71.192.225.206)

I have never had that happen Berne! In all the times we have done Early Bird we are always within a seat or two of each other! I also do not jump on the computer to check in at exactly 24 hrs. That is what I pay early bird for! Most of the time I do check in my bags as bags are free. My backpack fits under the seat so not a big deal. Also I was told that if you travel with someone needing wheelchair assist you don't need to buy Early Bird so that was a waste this past trip.

--------------------
[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Bill_S
Traveler

Loc: Southern Maryland suburbs of D...
      #1664793 - 09/27/15 03:08 PM (69.138.217.199)

Whenever you two are somehow not in the same boarding group the solution is simple... When the earlier boarder gets on the plane just pick a row a little ways back that is empty. Put yourself on the aisle and put your carry-on on the middle seat next to you and wait for your partner.

If a couple asks to take the other two seats before he/she gets there just put a sad smile on your face and say "I'm sorry, my (husband/wife) somehow wound up in a later boarding group and I am holding this seat for him/her ... the one seat on the window is available though..."

We have never had a problem.

--------------------
Bill

BerneandGary
Traveler

Loc: Austin, Texas
      #1664814 - 09/27/15 10:15 PM (72.177.84.7)

This was the first time we had this problem & I travel Southwest at least 7 times a year. I truly think there was an issue with their system & that was why they were so willing to refund my money. Hubby did board first & save me a seat, but I feel funny doing that since Southwest has open seating & "saving" a seat for someone boarding later seems to go against that, at least in my opinion.

--------------------
Gotta Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart...(J.B.)

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
      #1664831 - 09/28/15 08:24 AM (68.247.239.225)

I loathe SW's non-seating BS, and I agree, that really seems to go against their whole philosophy, by saving a seat.

By the way, anyone see else see their new commercial, talking about all their Caribbean destinations??? SXM needs to be on that map!!!! With the AA and US Air merger, SXM flights need more competition!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 4289

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline