Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> SXM People Talk

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
LBI2SXM
Traveler

Re: Another Island next Year? [Re: whammy]
      #1723537 - 02/19/17 09:20 AM (69.141.55.60)

If you have access to JFK Jet Blue has nonstop to Curacao every Saturday. Fares for May and June are $330 pp RT. Have not seen that low airfare to Curacao. Some of the other islands are hard to get to, many stops. Most nonstop are out of JFK, we are too far from there. JFK seems to have the best flights to the Caribbean.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
charlieh
Traveler

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Re: Another Island next Year? [Re: TravelHat]
      #1723599 - 02/19/17 11:12 PM (71.54.128.171)

Quote:

TravelHat said:
Martinique is a good place to research. Check it out. Lots of history, exploring, and great resorts.

I was going to mention this as well. Also Guadeloupe. I am quite willing to send pictures of both islands to Whammy in return for a paid trip to each place.

You've got the French cooking going for you.

whammy
Traveler

Loc: Cape Cod
Re: Another Island next Year? [Re: charlieh]
      #1723604 - 02/20/17 07:30 AM (24.60.209.248)

hottubdiva
Traveler

Loc: Missouri
      #1723631 - 02/20/17 12:33 PM (24.2.29.5)

Here's an option we've tried. Since we know we love St Martin we've done several trips where we try out another island for 4 or 5 days and then fly to St Martin to end our vacation. Once we flew into St Martin, took a boat over to Anguilla for 4 days, took the boat back to St Martin for a week. Another time we flew to Aruba, stayed there 5 days, flew to St Martin for the rest of our vacation time. My favorite one, though, was flying to St Martin, changing planes and flying to Nevis, staying there 5 days, then flying back to St Martin for the remainder of our time. We love St Martin but this gives us a taste of someplace else too.

--------------------
V and T

biglar
Traveler

Loc: PA
Re: Another Island next Year? [Re: hottubdiva]
      #1723671 - 02/20/17 03:30 PM (71.254.121.188)

We have been to Aruba and Curacao. Both are interesting to explore and the beaches on Aruba are very nice. Our two favorites, beside SXM, are Barbados and Antigua. They both have plenty to explore and places to shop. Barbados has perhaps my favorite beach in Bottom Bay Beach. It is a beach you must enter by walking down wooden steps since it has rock walls around it. You can also go to Oisten's Fish Fry in Barbados. We stayed at the Divi in Barbados and sat under a tree most every day to watch the monkeys frolick in the tree and on a nearby fence. Only Problem, Barbados, Aruba and Curacao are a longer flight than Antigua. In Antigua we love to visit Shirley Heights for the evening meal when the Steel Drum Band plays. They play classical music and its unbelievable. Again, plenty to do on the island. You could also try St. Thomas with a trip on the ferry to St. John. Both are great with plenty to do. Good luck with your choice. You'll love any island you may pick! Check out my blog and click on "Vacation and Travel" if you want reports on different places we have visited. The link is at the end of this post.

--------------------
www.lifewithldub.blogspot.com

whammy
Traveler

Loc: Cape Cod
Re: Another Island next Year? [Re: biglar]
      #1723686 - 02/20/17 04:45 PM (24.60.209.248)

Many great ideas, it's a good thing there's a year to do some research! Meanwhile SXM in just under 3 weeks!

RICKnGRACE_LI_NY
Traveler

Loc: Long Island, NY
Re: Another Island next Year? [Re: pat]
      #1723728 - 02/20/17 08:10 PM (199.96.179.137)

Quote:

pat said:
Curaçao is one Caribbean island we've always meant to see and yet somehow, never gotten around to. But if the green flash is that common there, we might just have to because still, over all our years and all our trips to the Caribbean I've yet to see it and have only heard others describe how beautiful it is. Isn't Curacao also known to be a great destination for both snorkeling and diving? One of these days maybe.....

We have been to Curacao both as a vacation spot and as a Cruise stop. I think it is fantastic. Certainly different than SXM in certain ways. Quieter, as was mentioned in the post above you. Beautiful beaches, great dining and I always felt safe. It is a place we would like to return to.

--------------------
Rick and Grace

BobandJeana
Traveler

Loc: Jersey Shore
      #1723738 - 02/20/17 09:38 PM (174.57.49.20)

Maui has more things to do than one can imagine, plus great beaches.

BobandJeana

pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
Re: Another Island next Year? [Re: BobandJeana]
      #1723745 - 02/20/17 11:33 PM (75.133.113.202)

Each of the Hawaiian islands is gorgeous and they all have their own special things to see or do, but that's a lot of flying time, and particularly from the East Coast even if you're flying First Class and even moreso if your main objective is just a beach. They're lovely, for sure, but we didn't find any that we would rate as highly as those of SXM, Anguilla or St. Bart's. Our September trip was only our second to Hawaii and our first to Maui so we sure don't come close to qualifying as experts on the Hawaiian islands but I decided on the flight home, and only due to the flying time, it will most likely be our last. And I understand now why so many from the west coast choose to make the annual trek to the Caribbean instead of Hawaii.

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

IslandBoi
Traveler

Loc: Sugar Land, Tx
      #1723816 - 02/21/17 02:20 PM (151.213.147.19)

having been to quite a few of the islands, we like Barbados quite a bit, second to SXM/SBH...lots to do, both beach related as well as nature/wildlife related...i used to think monkeys were pretty cool, but after Barbados, not so much ...good local food/vibe at Oistins Fish Fry

we also like Curacao, but more for the water/snorkeling than anything else...most of the natural beaches are very rocky, not a lot of smooth sand entry into the water...also not too impressed with restaurant/bar/nightlife choices

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 6309

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline