Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> World Wide Travel

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Nutmeg
Traveler

Loc: St. Thomas, USVI
Re: French Canal boat [Re: Maria_and_Steve]
      #1708948 - 09/25/16 11:26 AM (204.11.157.92)

I can understand it being warmer, but better wine than Burgundy? I keep thinking the towns in Burgundy are more picturesque, but I obviously need more education.

--------------------
NUTMEG
Today is the tomorrow you talked about yesterday.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TomB
Traveler

Loc: Virginia wishing STJ
Re: French Canal boat [Re: Nutmeg]
      #1709287 - 09/28/16 10:13 PM (24.153.38.119)

I have never been to either place... yet
Hopefully both in the next 5 years.
However, when it comes to wine Nutmeg you are correct - Burgundy wins! Once again, when one talks about wine, art, or good food it is always best to end a statement with IMHO.

--------------------
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.” - Emerson

Eva
Traveler

Loc: Maryland
Re: French Canal boat [Re: TomB]
      #1709297 - 09/29/16 07:00 AM (216.230.127.4)

Wine is absolutely a matter of "IMHO"! The major wine region we visited on our Canal du Midi trip was the Languedoc (and also Minervois, Corbieres and St. Chinian). They call the Languedoc the "New World" wine region of France -- and not necessarily in a complimentary way. But if you like American, Australian and South American styled wines, the Languedoc is perfect for you. And if you love bright, crisp rose wines, you'll be in heaven here.

--------------------
I've got a Caribbean Soul I can barely control... (JB)

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: French Canal boat [Re: Eva]
      #1709300 - 09/29/16 08:09 AM (70.193.219.166)

Quote:

Eva said:
But if you like American, Australian and South American styled wines, the Languedoc is perfect for you. And if you love bright, crisp rose wines, you'll be in heaven here.

Sounds like somewhere I need to visit!

TomB
Traveler

Loc: Virginia wishing STJ
Re: French Canal boat [Re: Eva]
      #1709322 - 09/29/16 10:26 AM (65.207.86.2)

Eva,

Well put! I would not disagree with a thing you wrote. The wines of the Languedoc are young and vibrant. They are much more approachable, especially from a cost a standpoint, and the Rosé from the Languedoc, and Provence to the west, are my favorite from anywhere.

The reds and whites from Minervois and Corbieres (both AOCs of Languedoc) heavily rely the traditional Rhone grapes, but it is the spice added by Carignan which sets them apart (IMHO). These two regions often overlooked by many, but have not escaped my racks in the basement. Bang for the Buck you cannot go wrong.

Having said that… From a wine perspective I use this analogy - back in the day, the Beatles were much more popular and well known than the Queen of England, but the Queen was still the Queen – Burgundy is still the Queen in the Wine World and the wines from Languedoc are much more fun (IMHO).

--------------------
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.” - Emerson

Edited by TomB (09/29/16 10:28 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 4997

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline