Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> Afloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Unregistered

TITANIC - COSTA CRUISE SHIP SINKING
      #1372765 - 01/14/12 09:57 AM (99.23.124.207)

I sailed this boat to St Maarten a few years ago. I could of guessed they wouldn't handle a tough situation well as well as poor food/service. I wonder if this indicates a fundamental flaw in these massive hotel boats when anything upsets them in the bathtub. I've been in heavy winds and they list quite a bit. boathttp://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/newpost.php?Cat=0&Board=stmartin&page=0

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  

Unregistered

Re: TITANIC - COSTA CRUISE SHIP SINKING [Re: Anonymous]
      #1372767 - 01/14/12 10:08 AM (99.23.124.207)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16559991

video from the BBC

Colour1
Traveler

Loc: Westchester /NYC
      #1372968 - 01/15/12 04:13 AM (67.81.184.103)

After watching a few of the video's that you posted (thank you!) I have some questions. If the damage is on the left side of the ship (don't know nautical terms) how did it roll on it's right side???
Can it be fixed??? If so how to lift it up-right??? OR will it become a new sea aquarium??? I should have ask this first, have they rescued everyone??
I was watching the ships cruising passed our villa {Oct/Nov}(BSV) one of many nights and COULD NOT believe the size of "Allure of the sea" ! It was no different that watching the "island" of NYC drift by! Thats how big this ship is! Ten minutes later an other large ship past by... it looked like a Tonka toy! (full size ship) To think, what could happen if that ship just toppled over or on it's side?? God Bless.

sxmjay
Traveler

Re: TITANIC - COSTA CRUISE SHIP SINKING [Re: Colour1]
      #1374181 - 01/18/12 08:56 PM (90.63.153.19)

Cruise business is going to get killed !

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: TITANIC - COSTA CRUISE SHIP SINKING [Re: sxmjay]
      #1374244 - 01/19/12 09:39 AM (71.101.41.196)

I think there will be a small blip in business, but overall, I doubt it will have much effect.

bbuchanan
Sponsor

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: TITANIC - COSTA CRUISE SHIP SINKING [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1374299 - 01/19/12 11:26 AM (97.115.238.250)

I agree with you, Carol. Slight blip with some first time cruisers and perhaps some seniors. Cruising continues to be a great value for the vacation dollar. Considering some past tragedies; e.g. 9/11, I suspect there to be minimal effect. Interestingly, there was discussion in the fall with regard to fares increasing due to strong demand and improving economy. Time will tell whether fares hold firm or do, in fact, have an up tick.

--------------------
Best Regards,
Bonnie Buchanan,
Master Cruise Counselor
CruiseOne Tucson Arizona
www.cruiseone.com/bbuchanan

Unregistered

Re: TITANIC - COSTA CRUISE SHIP SINKING [Re: bbuchanan]
      #1379134 - 02/02/12 12:08 AM (173.70.81.196)

Pilots are used to take a ship from a dock into the open water. in this particular disaster the Captain was incognito. maybe a Pilot should be deployed until a ship is miles away from shore.a ship running aground not only endangers lives, destroy an Industry, it could impact the economy of the effected area. Yrs.ago the QE 2 ran aground in St.Marten. Recently the MSC Poesia did the same in the Bahamas. The Costa Concordia ......a Pilot guiding a ship, in familiar waters, for a longer period of time may add to the checks and balance for safety. MHO.

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
      #1379221 - 02/02/12 09:46 AM (71.101.41.196)

Pilots are only for ships entering and leaving port, and the CC was not doing either, just sailing by. WAY too close. These days, with the huge number of new ships, I actually don't know whether pilots are safer or not, as they can't know the ship as well as the regular captain of the ship. In this case, it was pure captain's error, nothing more nor less.

Unregistered

#1379467 - 02/02/12 08:45 PM (173.70.81.196)

your points are well taken.the Captains error was that he was in the restaurant, dinning.oblivious. his knowlege of the waters was lost in translation.the mates?

Snorkeller
Traveler

Loc: Virginia
      #1379654 - 02/03/12 11:23 AM (70.105.15.10)

At least to my knowledge which is based almost entirely on the Caribbean and US east coast ports, pilots give advice to the captain or person handling the ship on local conditions - they do not actually "have the conn" or act as helmsman. Having the pilot always should be safer because they know or should know local conditions that can change or are uncharted and have experience in how to handle the conditions. Had a pilot been on board the Concordia at the time, he presumably would have advised the captain about the fact that there was a large rock in the way. This particular captain seems such an idiot that perhpas he would have ignored any advice, anyway. Before this happened, I would have said that an incident of this type could never happen with the type of people entrusted with such a ship - I still cannot believe that any of the captains I have met in the last few years on RC ships would ever do such a thing - but people are people and you just never can predict with 100% accuracy how stupid they might act.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 8195

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline