Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> Nude Resorts, Beaches and Cruises

Pages: 1
sailn
Traveler

Loc: South East US, Carolinas coast
Orient beach- people seem to leave early?
      #1436058 - 08/18/12 06:45 PM (174.56.134.223)

I just came from the beach in south carolina, lots of people, county park on beach is open another hour (til 7 pm). at 6 PM I looked on the club o webcam- place is deserted- people stay on the sc beaches, like hilton head much later. OB (I have been there) really gets deserted at night. what causes the early closing so to say

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bill_SModerator

Loc: Southern Maryland suburbs of D...
Re: Orient beach- people seem to leave early? [Re: sailn]
      #1436069 - 08/18/12 07:48 PM (69.250.111.143)

It's quite simple.

1 - St. Martin is in the Atlantic time zone and is about 1,000 miles east of the U.S. Eastern time zone, so the sun sets an hour earlier on SXM. St Martin also does not have Daylight Savings Time, so in the summer Atlantic Standard Time is the same as Eastern Daylight Time in the U.S. on the clock, but not "on the sundial".

2 - Charleston SC is at about 79*45'W, nearly due south of the Pennsylvania/Ohio border, so even though you are on the Atlantic coast you are near the western portion of the Eastern time zone and the sun sets later.

3 - You are further north at 32 degrees Laitiude, so in the summer the earth's tilt gives you more hours of daylight than nearer the equator. SXM is at 18 degrees north latitude. In June your shadow at noon on Orient Beach actually is to your south, since the sun is north of you by a few degrees.

4 - In late June when we were there the sun set around 7:30 pm +/- . And in the tropics, there is almost no twilight, which increases as you go further north due to the earth's tilt (see above).

But the REAL REASON you see the beach deserted is because everyone goes to get a shower and get dressed and then to the wonderful restaurants in Grand Case for dinner!

--------------------
Bill

FireProf
Traveler

Loc: Southern California
Re: Orient beach- people seem to leave early? [Re: Bill_S]
      #1436079 - 08/18/12 09:32 PM (108.13.170.22)

Bill ...

That's it in a nutshell ... most everyone leaves the beach, gets cleaned up and heads out to the restaurants ... or, like us sometimes, we get cleaned up and stay naked and invite friends over for dinner and a few bottles of wine!

ChuckG
Traveler

Loc: PA
Re: Orient beach- people seem to leave early? [Re: FireProf]
      #1436099 - 08/19/12 07:26 AM (71.58.69.252)

Besides the geographical/timezone differences, the beach becomes less inviting in late afternoon (even chilly in winter) when you start losing the sun over the mountains to to the West. Things on the beach cool off sooner because of the constant sea breeze, the mountains and the typical clouds forming over them, blocking the sun. This happens around 4PM in the winter and 5-6PM in the summer. It's much warmer later over on the west side of the island (e.g. Cupecoy) so you'll see people staying on the beach longer over there, often right up until sunset (fun to watch over there, not on the East side though).

--------------------
Chuck and Joni

Unregistered

Re: Orient beach- people seem to leave early? [Re: sailn]
      #1436111 - 08/19/12 08:42 AM (68.172.208.190)

have best of both worlds by going to orient by day,stay at gcbc and go back to shower,have happy hour and watch sunset,then walk down the block for world class dining

Unregistered

Re: Orient beach- people seem to leave early? [Re: ChuckG]
      #1436165 - 08/19/12 05:32 PM (174.56.134.223)

Quote:

ChuckG said:
Besides the geographical/timezone differences, the beach becomes less inviting in late afternoon (even chilly in winter) when you start losing the sun over the mountains to to the West. Things on the beach cool off sooner because of the constant sea breeze, the mountains and the typical clouds forming over them, blocking the sun. This happens around 4PM in the winter and 5-6PM in the summer. It's much warmer later over on the west side of the island (e.g. Cupecoy) so you'll see people staying on the beach longer over there, often right up until sunset (fun to watch over there, not on the East side though).

Maybe thats it- at 515 local time today not many people on the beach, sunset not till 635 or so.
yes I agree on the good food, but have never heard of Florida/seinfeld style early bird specials- hey do they have those on the island?

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Orient beach- people seem to leave early? [Re: ChuckG]
      #1436217 - 08/20/12 09:20 AM (71.101.41.196)

Chuck--you are correct, as well as Bill. It is a combination of both things, I think, as far as Orient is concerned. Once the sun goes behind those mountains, it gets kind of gloomy and can be chilly.

Bill_SModerator

Loc: Southern Maryland suburbs of D...
Re: Orient beach- people seem to leave early? [Re: Anonymous]
      #1436262 - 08/20/12 01:38 PM (69.250.111.143)

Quote:

Anonymous said:

Maybe thats it- at 515 local time today not many people on the beach, sunset not till 635 or so.
yes I agree on the good food, but have never heard of Florida/seinfeld style early bird specials- hey do they have those on the island?

Hi Ed, remember that the Club O webcam only looks at a small section of chairs to the north of The Perch. Most Club O guests tend to set up between the Perch and Papagayo, which is not in the webcam field of view. A lot of the time those chairs tend to be used by folks who are staying up the beach at other resorts or villas and by sundown have headed back to their resort or villa before sundown.

No, we have never seen early bird specials in Grand Case...

We tend to eat early, arriving at the restaurant sometime between 6 and 7pm just because our internal clocks are set that way by our at-home schedules. When we are on vacation at Club O we tend to sleep in a bit, waking around 7:30 AM and retiring around around 10 or 11 pm.

What we DO enjoy about dining in Grand Case earlier than most is that the kitchen and wait staffs at the various restaurants are not too busy at that hour so we always have, unrushed, excellent service and there are no overly long delays between courses caused by kitchen backups.

We also get a very good table at that hour.

Since we now vacation on-island in June, we also get to watch the sunsets from our waterfront tables when we are dining on the Ocean side of the street.

When we are leaving after desert and the flavored rums the restaurants are getting more crowded and the staffs are beginning to have to hustle...

--------------------
Bill

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 2014

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline